MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Skilled

Captain Chris' "3rd Story": #3 "BUILD"!!

Fellow Randall freaks,

I ain't even lettin' the ink get dry on the last deal before I start the new deal. Let's build us one of the most popular models of all time: A Randall Model #3!! The blade will be forged from 1/4" stock and will be either 5", 6" or 7" in length. It can be stainless steel or O1, Swedish tool steel. It can have thumb notches or a double hilt, similar to the "ol WWII fighters! It can have brass or nickel silver hardware. It can have a multitude of handle options, butt caps or plates, compass, wrist thong, etc. etc.

What it "can't" have is more than 5 "chargeable options". That means that, other than the stock features that come standard on a Model #3, "HUNTER", we can only add 5 additional things. You would think that would make this build a lot easier and faster? I don't think so! I have spent more time on the phone and internet with folks trying to "tweek" their Randall orders into compliance than I did when we could just go ahead and run up 9 or 10 options on the thing! In other words: We gotta think!! I know it's gonna be difficult, but let's really apply ourselves.

I think, because of the changes brought on by the Randall shop of late, that we should open the first few days up for a "broad discussion". Let's not decide anything, but rather voice our desires, wants, whims, whatevers and bring it all out in the open. Some folks have entered into the "build" a little late in the past and, consequently have not been in the "loop" for the whole thing. Let's get everybody in this time.

I would not only ask, but welcome any photos to illustrate points while we are going through this "walk-through" of the building. Some folks think that the last build went a little long. Well: Maybe, but with over 2,700 views and almost 200 posts in about 2 months, I wouldn't say "real long"!! Still: This one should be ready to wrap up in a month or so.

Speaking of the last build: Mike Walters was the lucky winner, not only because his number was picked, but also because of the fact that he entered extra participation and gave us some quality posts. It was because of this that the moderators felt he should be the recipient of the additional pick. It was that pick that gave him the win! So...COME ON!! Let's all give the extra effort. One of the most popular and celebrated Randall models of all time deserves nothing better!! Good luck! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Here are some photos of a #3 I like:

Last edited by Moosehead; 08-31-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Steel Addict

Model 3

I love model 3's my first Randall was a 6", leather handle, brass standard hardware. It got me started on this Randall kick and it sure hasn't let up yet. I used this knife for most everything and it has been great. I think if I wanted an other model 3 for using I would get a shorter blade, but the 6" has been able to do most all I ever asked of it. Now for what I would like to see for this build is a model 3 set up as a fighter. Yea kind of weird to take a great hunting knife and want to make it something else but that is just the kick I have been on for awhile. In fact in October if no more bad weather hits Florida I'll have a 7" model four with a double hilt and elephant Ivory coming from the factory. A nice 7" model 3 set up with a No. 1 standard hilt and stag handle would look real nice next to it, Along with my model 1's and 14's. OOOh those fighters look so darn cool. I don't know what anyone else wants in a model 3 but they can be set up so many ways and look so nice and be very functional, many ways to set them up and not go over the limit on options. Anyway again Capt thanks so much for these builds I always learn a lot and sometimes even get to buy what we made. By the way really love the model 1 everyone designed for me.

Panhead
Steven K. Crawford
RKS 4109

Last edited by panhead; 08-31-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Steel Addict

The #3 is one of my favorite blade shapes. As much as I like the #3, I don't have one in my collection (except a mini 3). I had a beautiful one that I got from The Cap, but I gave it to my brother for Christmas last year, so a new one is in order. Maybe I'll get lucky!! I consider the #3 to be a field knife more than a fighter so I prefer a single hilt and a stag handle. Finger grips also. SS blade, brass furniture and a compass. (That's five isn't it?) Cap, the one pictured is a beauty BTW. It would do just fine!!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:51 PM
Skilled

Come on guys, let's build a knife with some cajones this time. No offense but if we were building a #14 someone would want to know how well it would breast out a quail.

Captain Chris says (edited):
"It can have a double hilt, similar to the "ol WWII fighters!"

Ok, let the testosterone kick in and let's get'erdone!

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Skilled

I like Model 3s. I have a couple with 5 inch blades and stag and one with leather. I also have the 7 inch Randall Recon version. It seems to me that any way you make this knife you cannot go wrong. Make it short with 5 inch blade and single hilt and it is the ideal camp/general purpose knife. Put a double hilt on that same 5 inch blade and it is a neat "little" fighter". Go with the longer blade lengths and again it can be either a big hunter/camp knife or with double hilt a serious mean looking fighter. I am thinkig I would like this Model 3 to be different than the ones most of us own. How about 6 inch blade with fancy handle and hardware and make it a show off/safe queen RMK?
jc
Old 09-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Skilled

I showed ya' mine.......

Come on folks,

All of you are telling us about the Model #3's that you have. I showed you one of mine. How bouts ya' show us'ns one of ya'lls'! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 09-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

I have only one #3, and that has a 5" blade. It was the 1st thread knife. Many of you helped build it. I carried it last fall deer hunting. It works very well!

Beautiful red stag with all the trimmings. Yes, I'm still photo-illiterate! Sorry. CrimsonTide took pictures of it and posted them for the Cpt. before I got it. It is now one of my very faves!

Now that I see pictures of the Cpt's with finger grips, that also looks Real appealing. I am not trading though..The red stag is Awesome!

I hope that whoever gets the "LuckyNumber" on this one, will enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine!

So..All of you that are photo literate, start showing those magnificant 3's!

Kent

RKS#109
Old 09-01-2006, 10:17 AM

Did someone say "Model 3"?

With a 7" blade, sharpened clip and double hilt, I think it makes the coolest fighter ever. With a single hilt and 5" blade, I think it makes the best user! Since we're just throwing out ideas, I'd like to see a bit of a "hybrid" built:

5" SS blade, sharpened clip, NiAg Model 1 double hilt, all red spacers, yellow Micarta 22 handle with a NiAg crow's beak butt. *

The double hilt wouldn't make it an "optimum" user, but boy do I think that would be a neat knife!

* Probably more than 5 options

OK, Cap: here's a pic:

Best,

Ron
Old 09-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Steel Addict

BoBlade
OHH, I really like the pinned stag with that double hilt it really looks great. There is just something about that a no. 3 blade upsweep that looks really cool with the double hilt. Very scary and very nifty looking. I vote for the double hilt, Yes they rock!
Panhead
Old 09-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Enthusiast

For me a #3 is all about the ease of carrying a sturdy, all-around field (not combat) knife.

For my preferences, it is one of the few RMK's that doesn't need to be all tarted up to be perfectly acceptable-the stock condition is just fine. That said, I have a couple all tarted up and will post pics if I can get them taken this weekend.

For my field purposes, a reliable grip is paramount and I like a little heft, even at the expense of being handle-heavy. Being able to apply pressure to the edge no matter the position is also desirable. I like a knife that will clean up nice and look good without a lot of maintenance after being carried and used. It is important the handle shape be comfortable in various positions.

My ideas, we'll work on specs at the appropriate time.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:53 AM

Guys: This was supposed to be a general discussion. I got excited and got ahead of myself on the build. Sorry about that
Old 09-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Steel Addict

Here's one:

#3 - 5" SS, thumb notches, stag handle with finger grooves, brass single hilt, black and brass spacers.

Last edited by sterusmall; 09-02-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Steel Addict

Another 5", plain but practical.

#3-5" tool steel, stag handle, brass hilt, RWB spacers. (This one is currently at RMK getting thumb notches)

Last edited by sterusmall; 09-02-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Steel Addict

Though not available, I always wanted a #3 with a #25 handle to match my #26 with #25 handle.

To "Capt. Chris": Are those #14 finger grips on the #3 you have pictured?

Last edited by sterusmall; 09-02-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast

So. . .are we talkin about 3's or building a 3 in this thread?

Tags
blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives