MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 02-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Skilled

Jeff,
The results are in and tallied up. Ya' just ain't right!
Seuss,
I cannot order "other" dealer specials from the Randall shop, as they cannot order mine. Although I probably could "use up" a favor with one or two of them to make something up, but I think not. We need to qualify this building project by stating that this Randall needs to be something that I can order on one of my order slots. That would eliminate all other "dealer specials', but not "non-catalog" Randalls.
Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 02-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Steel Addict

Guess I've been outvoted. I prefer a slightly beefier blade than described in most of the other replies. My choice would be a Model 15 with nickel-silver SINGLE hilt, O1 steel, thumb grooves on top of blade, and standard finger-grip handle with full width tang, in maroon micarta. Probably a black sheath without hone pocket. (For my friends in Massachusetts, maybe the Randall shop would leave the top edge unsharpened.)

I can use my EDC pocket knife when a smaller blade will do...
Old 02-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Steel Addict

In case you are interested, below are links to a couple of sites where you can find information on knife laws by state. Of course these sites are for reference only and you should check your actual State laws to determine what is and is not legal.
Wayne

http://www.packing.org/

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

Old 02-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Skilled

Cutnrun,
For your information, as well as others, Randall does "not" supply maroon micarta on a full "exposed" tang knife. A Model #15-5 1/2", Model #14-7 1/2", Model #16-7", Model #16-7" Spl. #1, and a "Fireman" can only be ordered with black micarta, or green linen micarta. Any other handle material has to be sent to the shop for approval and meet their size requirements. It must be already cut and slotted to proper dimensions. As far being out-voted, I think we still have a good long ways to go before we get to that! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 02-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast

#8 Old Style

Thanks,
Jeffery
RKS#1700

Last edited by michianaman; 02-10-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:07 PM

Well folks, this news may surprise some of you.

Despite your visions of Dudley Doright saving Nell from the evil Snidely Whiplash amongst other things, Canadian law enforcement simply requires that fixed blade knives of any length not be concealed when carried.

There are local restrictions in some municipalities, such as bringing any kind of knife into the public transportation system. DOH!

Of course, unsheathing one's "Smithsonian" to slice up an apple at the annual office picnic may be looked at askance by one's colleagues. "He needs..."

For my EDC I'm leaning to either of the Captain's "Specials", or the Non-Catalogue Denmark Special. However, I also am considering the shorter bladed GTR. No need to make up my mind just yet.

Cheers!

Moosehead

P.S. Mr. Snakes: Ya' just ain't right! (Thanks goodness!)

Old 02-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Steel Addict

Hey!, I don't know...

What about... Say... Oh! I know...

A DENMARK SPECIAL...
NS Hilt...
Green canvas micarta handle...
RED spacers...
TEARDROP Handle...
maybe some T/N, a W/T, with a Black sheath!!!

Thought that up just off the top my head!!

What do you think Capn'?, How 'bout you Grindo?, and hey!, let's get Crimsontide's input here!!!

I wonder what it would like...Hmmmm...

-----DW-----
Old 02-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Skilled

This is easy.

4" Stanaback speacial.

Just bought one on eBay. I could use another one to keep it company!

Single N/S hilt, black #22 style micarta grip, N/S buttcap w/thong hole and aluminum/black spacers!

Oh yes!

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)

Last edited by tomthbomb; 02-10-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Steel Addict

Scott,
Where have I heard that description before????? (except the spacers on mine are black and brass) I had the opportunity to use it yesterday heping a friend clean some small game he had just brought home from hunting and I really like the knife. As ALWAYS you craftsmen in the shop did an EXCELLENT job. THANKS!!!! The only problem that I encountered was getting my knife back from my friend after he used it. I feel sure that Grindo would agree with our choice
Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1983_Copy-Web.jpg (15.7 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by crimsontide; 02-10-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Skilled

Oh man! There's that knife (Wayne's) again If you guys show pictures, I'll be changing my mind every time a new picture pops up

DW and Grindo, I thought for sure that you guys would all be required to wear the full dress GTR in order to gain admittance to the hallowed ground every day By the way, I'd buy somebody a Coke if they would hurry up with my new cattleman. I need a Randall fix bad!

Love all this input here guys! Keep those thoughts rollin!

seuss
Old 02-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Skilled

DW,
Green and red? What is this...Christmas?
Seuss,
March, 2006 (in other words, the end of April, 2006 before delivery) for your "Cattleman". You owe me a coke!!
Tom,
While I appreciate folks wanting one of my "Stanaback" specials for an EDC, the fact is that it will be too "butt-heavy" with a nickel-silver butt cap. Duralumin butt cap would make a lot more sense. Extremely durable and a lot lighter. BUT: Whatever ya'll decide on...I'll do. Nickel-silver butt cap, radiused and with a wrist thong, is not too, too heavy on a 4 5/8" "Stanaback" Keep it up, folks. Interesting so far. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 02-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

"Every day" for me means a knife that rides around in a briefcase M-F and on my hip Sat. and Sunday. Normal use during the week is all the things that confront a high-speed desk operator - opening mail, disembowling packages from the wife's online buying, deanimating a can of sugar at the coffee station, entertaining colleagues with "look at how sharp this is". On the weekend, the demands increase substantially, what with cutting twine to bundle the trash and breaking down boxes from the PX, I mean Costco.

While it is natural to think those problems are best addressed by a #14, frankly I prefer the challenge of using a shorter blade, primarily to hone my skills.

What this really leaves me with is a maximum 4-4.5" blade, preferably thin and narrow. Having a little bit of a point on it is useful, and a sharpened top bevel is mostly a hazard. A #21, #26, GTR and #7-4.5 all seem to fit the bill and a #5-4 might, if is not as wide in profile as a #8.

Last edited by azgator; 02-12-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Registered

I vote for the cattleman. an all around edc knife. have carried one for about a year and hafh. It cuts metal ,wire,wood,bread,pie,everything and anything. Thats my vote. thanks TK RKS#4291
Old 02-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Steel Addict

I am going with the 4" Stanaback Special. I think that 1/4" Stock Blade is needed for "Every Day User", since it may see a little bit of abuse. Is there any options available for the top edge on this Model Capt that we may not know about?

Old 02-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Skilled

Tell the "truth"

TKK,
Tell the truth. You conned me out of "my" every day carry Cattleman at the Orlando gun and knife show!! Orange G-10, as I re-call? Good to see you posting, my friend. Everyone: Say hello to a fellow Randall "junkie". TKK has "got it bad". Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives