MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 06-19-2001, 08:41 AM
JohnHChris

Magic colored epoxy

I am a newbie and this was a surprise to me, but perhaps "old news" to most of you. Thought I would pass it on anyway.

About 3 weeks ago I glued cocobolo scales to a tang with 5 min epoxy (Duro brand), and wiped off the excess with a dry rag as it squeezed out. However I did not remove some epoxy traces in file work details and the scale-tang groove formed by the slightly rounded tang edges. When the glue set (to a semi-flexible but non-tacky state) it left nice and ugly clear gooby traces. Last night, using a binocular microscope I went after these bits with a dental pic sharped to a fine chisel point. To my surprise the epoxy had picked up the color of the cocobolo - not just a little bit but fully colored so that it matched the wood. I guess that the epoxy, even when set, acted as a solvent and drew pigments from the wood. The cocobolo was not stabilized, sealed or treated in any way.

This accident suggests that if you are using an oily, highly pigmented wood for knife scales, like cocobolo, you may not need to bother adding pigment to the epoxy to "hide" the glue line. The magic of chemistry and physical diffusion might just color your glue line for you. Another little benefit - it was really easy to see and remove the gooby bits from where I didn't want them.

John
Old 06-19-2001, 10:14 AM
Raymond Richard

John, one thing I've notice with cocobolo is that since it has these oils and resins that the epoxy does't alway adhere to it. I've had good luck with it if I first hit it with acitone and put alittle super glue on a Q tip and just seal the surface with it. After that the epoxy really sticks. I've done handle's before that treatment and found out that either the epoxy didn't cure all the way or just didn't bond 100%. Ray
Old 06-19-2001, 01:50 PM
JohnHChris

Ray, Thanks for the comments on sealing with superglue, then using epoxy. The scales I glued seem to be stuck just fine, but then I am not going to go after them with a hammer and cold chisel to find out for sure!!

I did not think much about the semifirm-set with the 5 min epoxy as it never seems to set as firm for me as does slow set. I have chalked this down to working and living in the humid tropics. You can't even varnish after about 2:00pm if you want a hard surface. Dues for being able to eat fresh papaya and lime every morning at almost no cost!

John

Tags
knife