MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast

Bolster seam corrosion

I have several knives that I made with ATS34 and 416SS bolsters. Bolsters are pinned and silver soldered. I have noticed a small amount of corrosion in the seam of the bolster and ricasso. I clean it up with a chisel point brass rod but it comes back. Caused by the flux? Any suggestions on stopping the corrosion? Thanks
Old 03-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Yep, it's not unusual to have the flux seep out of the joint.

Try soaking in a saturated solution of baking soda and water for several hours. Blow it out well with air pressure and spray WD40 into the joint afterwards.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
If you pin the bolsters, you don't need to solder them. That would solve the problem for future pieces.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Living Legend

You may also have a dielectric reaction going on. Many dis-similar metals when in a moist or humid enviroment will become a very weak battery and speed up the corrosion process. The Ph of the moisture makes a very big difference. I have always kept that in mind when putting together a knife. Stainless is going to react with any metal it is in contact with that is not stainless due to the nickel content in it. (example NiCd,Nimh batteries)

I am surprised that dielectric reactions are not discussed more on the knife making forums considering how many different metals are used. When I was in a basic machining class we had to learn about that right out of the chute.

In your situation it may be hard to tell if it is the flux and/or the dielectic process. Radio Shack has a small engineers pocket book series and the one titled "home science experiements" has a chart of which metal combinations produce the highest dielectric reaction. Some metals it is so low that it would not matter but other metals like zinc, copper and lead make a huge amount.

This is just a little tidbit to keep filed away, nobody wants premature corrosion on knife that could have taken 8-10 hrs to finish.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 03-12-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks

Thanks for the help, I'll try soaking and see if that works. I do like the looks of the soldered bolster, but it is a pain. Next time I will see if I can get a seamles fit without soldering!

Tags
knife, knife making, knives