MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Too much illness around here

This sure has been a sickly bunch of late! Seems like a new ailment each week.

I've kinda kept out of it, but I'll probably be off of here for a short while. Turns out that pancreatic cancer isn't a good thing to get. Come the first of the month, they're going to remove most of my pancreas, my spleen, one adrenal gland, and part of a kidney.

Maybe I should try to have a pocket put in the hole that's left. I could probably drive the TSA people crazy going through the airport!

The rest of you need to get some exercise and take some vitamins or something. We need healthy members, busy building knives and posting pictures.

And while you're at it, remember that our days are numbered so that we will appreciate the time we have with our friends and family.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Steel Addict

I will be praying for a sucessful surgery and recovery.
Doug
John 3:16
Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Administrator

When did you find out about your diagnosis? I know that you can kick it, but I hate to hear that you're going to be down like that.

Is there anything we can do to help?

I'll be praying too!!!!!!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the thoughts, Alex! At this point, it's in the surgeon's hands and God's hands. They found the tumor in late October. After they found it, the oncologist came in and explained that there are 2 kinds of pancreatic cancer: the kind Steve Jobs had and the kind Patrick Swayze had. It didn't escape my attention that both of those examples are dead. Turns out that the "better" of the two is the Steve Jobs kind (neuroendochrine). Of course, the biopsy revealed that I not only had the other kind, but a rare form of that. In the world of cancer, it's best to get something common. Rare is not good for the patient, but it does make you very, very popular with the research folks.

Friends get frustrated because they feel like they'd like to do something to help. There isn't anything, so don't let that bother you. Me and God are good with this; it will work out as it's supposed to.

We all get so caught up in the details of our daily lives that we forget to look at the bigger picture. Cancer is pretty terrible, but you could get run over by a bus tomorrow. Thanksgiving is coming quickly and I urge y'all to use the time to think about your family and friends as if you don't have all the time in the world to make amends with them.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Administrator

You're exactly right! There is no guarantee of tomorrow for anyone! In fact, if you listen to the conspiracy guys, the end of the world is less than 5 weeks away for all of us!

I agree with your point about family. Most people never stop to think of how precious their family is, until they're faced with something like this. Well said!!!!

All you can do in this life is to try your best to control your outcomes, or as much as is within the realm of your control. The rest, you have to trust it to a higher power.

Have you checked in to places like The Cancer Treatment Centers of America? Those guys are supposedly on the cutting edge of what is possible in terms of Cancer treatment and cures. I've watched their commercials and they look like spacemen, compared to normal doctors.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Just remember. We're all alive until we're not. God bless.

Doug

Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Alex, Cancer Treatment Centers has nothing on M.D. Anderson here in Houston. Absolutely amazing place! People from all over the world go here for treatment.

Yeah, after diagnosis I began to wonder if that Mayan calendar was just for me.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Skilled

Dang Dude, I don't know how I missed this! I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss for words. I'll be praying for you, Buddy.

Tags
bee, blade, building, cancer, common, edge, forge, knives, make, pocket