MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-19-2002, 07:17 PM
Slicer

Alloys and trace elements

I read somewhere that there can be trace elements in some steels because alot of the "new" steel is recycled from older stuff. Sometime it can contain all kinds of stuff such as arsnic. Are these steels safe to use for kitchen knives if there were some trace elements?
Thanks.

Slicer
Old 02-19-2002, 07:56 PM
Ray Rogers

Trace elements

Hmmmm, good question. Unless you're willing to go to a lot of trouble I doubt you'll ever really know the answer. I can say this though - a stainless kitchen knife gives up very, very little metal to the food it touches and a tool steel knife isn't terribly much worse. It takes a lot of arsenic to build up in a person to be dangerous and I'd be willing to bet my life that I could lick that knife for 5 or 10 minutes a day, every day for the rest of my life without ever getting ill from it or showing an identifiable trace of arsenic from it in my autopsy.

If you're still worried, buy only brand new steel direct from the manufacturers and ask fo an analysis sheet. They will be happy to provide one...
Old 02-20-2002, 09:10 PM
John Frankl

Re: Trace elements

I think this is more common in A36 mild steel. In tool steels you should be able to get an exact content analysis.

John

Tags
knife, knives