MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-22-2003, 02:03 AM
Registered

Suggestions for newbie-friendly kitchen knife projects

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks and I've really enjoyed all of the information I've found. I can't begin to say how refreshing it is to find an online forum that is so completely supportive, positive, and informative! On to the questions...

I am a fairly experienced wood worker, (furniture touch-up and repair particularly) but I have absolutely no metal-working skills, tools, or experience. In fact, the thought of working with metal, aside from sharpening knives, just gives me the absolute shivers. The really bad kind. I'm also a pretty serious home cook. Not especially good, mind you, just serious!

I would like to make a nice chef's knife, a paring knife, and maybe a clever. Right now I would like to start with a pretty well finished blade and basically just create and attatch some nice scales. Is this a reasonable thing to do as my first effort in knife making? Are there any pitfalls to be avoided for these kinds of knives? Where can I purchase the blades to use in making them?

I've been drooling over the kitchen knives on Ray Rogers' site. There's just nothing like a beautiful piece of art that is actually USED on a daily basis! Any recommendations for other sites I should visit?
I hope I haven't rambled on too long!
Looking forward to your suggestions...

Kurt

Last edited by cookin; 10-22-2003 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:09 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Most of the knifemaker supply houses (Koval, Jantz, K&G, Sheffield, Texas Knifemakers) carry an assortment of kitchen knife blades to which you can attach your own handles. That's a great place to start.

Welcome to the CKD, Kurt. I, too, made the transition from woodworking to metalworking, and it is a bit daunting - but quite doable.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 10-22-2003, 06:07 AM
Enthusiast

Project

Kurt,

You may want to check out this web site.

http://www.rayrogers.com/index.htm

I have gone there many times and I think Ray Rogers does some fantasic work. He also has a pretty in-depth description of how he makes his knives. I to am starting with a couple kitchen knives (have two already) and the stasfaction of making dinner with something you have made is great. Hopefully my future knives will be better.

Bill

TG - 1960
Old 10-22-2003, 08:22 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Thanks for the kind words about my kitchen knives, guys!

Kurt, I started by making kitchen knives with blades from the sources Don quoted. It's fun, it's easy, and the results are very usable knives.

Kit knives can be made simply or they can be made fancy. Dennis Greenbaum (Osprey Guy) makes kitchen knives from kit blades that go waaaay beyond the functional basics so don't feel that you must be limited just because you use kit blades.

To all Newbies in Kurt's position I have one important piece of advice: GET A CATALOG FROM EVERY ONE OF THE KNIFE SUPPLY HOUSES DON NAMED!!! There are tons of useful info in those books for beginners and they are FREE! All the kits, tools, supplies and materials that you need are there. Most of them also include 'how-to' sections to get you started....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Living Legend

Welcome to ckd.this is a great place to call home.you can use the search feature to assist with just about anything youll come across.hope to see a picture of that first knife.good luck

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives