MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-06-2002, 07:08 PM

Unhappy Grinder overheating

Hi
I bought a Wilton Square Wheel from the states and, while it has dramatically sped up my grinding time, it overheats and cuts out after about 10-15min of use. It is 230V 6.5A 1hp.

Any ideas about how I can get it to run longer without the motor being so hot it easily burns hands and triggers the thermal cutout?

It takes about an hour to cool. Then it overheats more quickly as its already warm.

I purchased the slow down pully(as recommended by Ed Caffrey) but after fitting cannot get the belt to run with any tension. This is AFTER moving the tool rest out to its outer holes and moving it out as far as possible. At this point the belt tensioner does not take up the slack. Any ideas?

Thanks
Colin
Old 10-06-2002, 07:38 PM
Living Legend

Have you tried running the motor without a belt on the grindedr? Does it still get hot?

Are you supplying the proper input power?

Do your wheels spin freely?

Is there grinding dust in the motor?

What about the bearings on the motor? Are THEY getting hot?

A little more info here and we will get it figured out.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 10-06-2002, 08:42 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Colin,

Most motors in the US are wired to run on 115v. You may want to double-check the way the motor is wired. If you have a variable speed controller, you may also want to check that closely to make sure it is set for 230v.

Another problem may be the thermal overload. While they do a good job at keeping the motor from overheating, they do sometimes go bad. I have seen brand-new Klixon overloads not work. As a last resort, you may want to replace the overload.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 10-06-2002, 09:16 PM
Guru

Colin,the first place to look is the line voltage.Check it both running and not. If your getting anymore than a 10% drop you will have problems.Could be due to wire size or length of run.Also dosen't New Zealand run on 50 hz instead of 60 hz.could be another cause.Dave
Old 10-07-2002, 06:34 PM

Thanks for all the help! The electrician will be out on Friday. The motor does make a small ticking sound with each revolution and there is some rumble from the bearings, hope it was not damaged in transit!

Colin
Old 10-07-2002, 06:36 PM

I ran it last night with no belt and it still overheated.

What about the slow down pulley problem? Any ideas?
Old 10-08-2002, 11:31 AM
Steel Addict

Colin,

I use the same grinder and had the same problem with the slow-down pulley. My solution was to drill and tap an extra hole so I could move the entire platen assembly forward. It took me about twenty minutes, and it works fine. Good luck!

Josh
Old 10-08-2002, 07:10 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Colin, if you are sure it is hooked up correctly, sounds like new motor time. It should run warm, but not hot.
Never should it trip off without a load.
Something is wrong!
Old 10-13-2002, 07:04 PM

Grinder?

I ran the grinder yesterday for 30+minute with no problem. No belt. Then I switched it off and back on. Immediately the bumping and surging started and it began to get hot. When I switched it off there appeared to be some kind of brake. Could this be causing the problem? If it was coming on it would definitely increase the loading and cause heating problems.

Any ideas?
Old 10-13-2002, 08:05 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Some electric motors have a safety brake. It is a normally closed brake, meaning that power is needed to release the brake. It is released by a selenoid, and I have seen times where the selenoid didn't function correctly, causing the brake to drag and the motor to overload. I would suggest getting an electric motor shop to take a look at the motor. If the selenoid is going bad, it can be replaced. Personally, I would just have them take the brake off. I don't have a brake on my Square Wheel, and I don't really see the need for it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 10-14-2002, 09:36 PM

Thanks to all

Thanks everyone! Seems part , if not all, of the problem is the voltage supply to our house and workshop! It is meant to be 230V with no more than 5% either way. 218.5V minimum. The electrical supply company has found it is USUALLY 220V going as low as 206 when there is any load from any of the appliances in the house. (You should see what the vacuum cleaner does!) This could be causing the start up coils to be engaged when they shouldn't be. We'll know more on Thursday when they will decide if it is our local transformer at fault or the lines supplying our house.

Thanks again
Colin