MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:28 PM

Advice on grinders: 2x42 vs. 2x48?

Hey all,

It?s been quite a while since I was here last. I?m just getting ready to start some new blades and need some feedback. I?m thinking about upgrading my current grinder (1x30) to either a 2x42 or 2x48 grinder. (I?d eventually like to get a 2x72 grinder, but funds are limited at this time. I've done a little bit of research on no-weld grinders, but it appears that they too may be out of my price range at this time). Fortunately, I just recently discovered that I can get my favorite Norton Blaze R980 belts in both 2x42 and 2x48 through TruGrit.com.

First off, is there any noticeable benefit of the 2x48 over the 2x42? I?ve read that the ?longer the belt, the better.? However, we?re only talking 6? difference here. Also, the cost difference between 2x42 and 2x48 belts appears to be almost negligible. What would be your recommendation?

Secondly, here?s what I?ve come up with so far on grinders:

JET offers a 2x42 grinder, which features an 8? disc sander. The max RPM on the belt is 3,100 fpm. Unfortunately, it is not a variable speed model. The price for the JET is $469.00. The motor is 3/4 horse. Pros: the platen does not extend beyond the width of the belt, which would allow for sharper grind lines and easier access to hard-to-reach areas. Cons: some of the customer reviews were not very positive (seemed like the overall quality of this model may be somewhat lacking).

Sears Craftsman also offers a 2x42 grinder which features a 6? disc sander. The max RPM on the belt is 4,400 fpm. This is also not a variable speed model. The price for this model is $152.99. The motor is 1/3 horse. Pros: the low price point makes this model a pretty attractive option. I?ve used my 1x30 Craftsman grinder for about 15 years now without any major issues. Cons: the platen extends beyond the width of the belt, which means I would either have to modify it or have a new platen made to match the exact width of the belt.

I know there are probably a lot of other makes/models out there, so any feedback is most welcome. Thanks in advance for your help!

-Michael
Old 08-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

If you can even consider the Jet for $469 then please, please, PLEASE do anything and everything in your power to get your hands on a Grizzly grinder for $604 (that's the DELIVERED price). It's a real knife makers grinder with a real 1 hp motor and 2x72" belts. Probably at least half of us who own 2x72's already started with a Grizzly and most of us still have and use them even after acquiring $2000 grinders. I can't imagine how you've made do for 15 years with a 1x30 but my hat is off to you. A 2x42" is way better than a 1x30 but it is literally as nothing when compared to a Grizzly. Do whatever you have to do to come up with that additional $130 - beg, borrow, steal, work the street corners on Saturday night but get yourself a real grinder if you're already that close ...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Knif...r-Buffer/G1015

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Steel Addict

I was where you are about two years ago. I finally made the jump and built my 2 x72 and it was like goo g from driving a Ugo to driving a Farori. The difference in belt selection and cost was amazing. I agree with Ray that if you are considering spending 469, jump for the brass ring and get a 2 x 72.i built mine for under 500 and the Grizzly at 600 will get you started. Think of it this way, how many extra knives could you do with a good machine and afford to pay the extra 130 bucks? That's really only one knife!

Also, do you want to spend your hard earned money now on a less than stellar machine only to have to spend it again to upgrade to a 2 x 72 in a year or two?

I know money is tight for all of us, but really think this out

Erik
Old 08-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Steel Addict

I agree with Erik, save a little longer and go for the 2x72. The Grizzly is not a bad machine to start out with.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:59 AM

Where are you located? I might have a lead on a slightly used Griz with both a 10" and 8" contact wheel for $500. Looked brand new and bearing were tight.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-18-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
If you can even consider the Jet for $469 then please, please, PLEASE do anything and everything in your power to get your hands on a Grizzly grinder for $604 (that's the DELIVERED price). It's a real knife makers grinder with a real 1 hp motor and 2x72" belts. Probably at least half of us who own 2x72's already started with a Grizzly and most of us still have and use them even after acquiring $2000 grinders. I can't imagine how you've made do for 15 years with a 1x30 but my hat is off to you. A 2x42" is way better than a 1x30 but it is literally as nothing when compared to a Grizzly. Do whatever you have to do to come up with that additional $130 - beg, borrow, steal, work the street corners on Saturday night but get yourself a real grinder if you're already that close ...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Knif...r-Buffer/G1015
Thanks for the info on the Grizzly grinder, Ray. It makes a lot of sense to go that route vs. the 2x42". Now all I have to do is start saving my nickels and pennies! (The "Saturday street corner" option didn't go over too well with my wife ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnccutter View Post
I was where you are about two years ago. I finally made the jump and built my 2 x72 and it was like goo g from driving a Ugo to driving a Farori. The difference in belt selection and cost was amazing. I agree with Ray that if you are considering spending 469, jump for the brass ring and get a 2 x 72.i built mine for under 500 and the Grizzly at 600 will get you started. Think of it this way, how many extra knives could you do with a good machine and afford to pay the extra 130 bucks? That's really only one knife!

Also, do you want to spend your hard earned money now on a less than stellar machine only to have to spend it again to upgrade to a 2 x 72 in a year or two?

I know money is tight for all of us, but really think this out

Erik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt- View Post
I agree with Erik, save a little longer and go for the 2x72. The Grizzly is not a bad machine to start out with.
Good point, Erik and Walt. I appreciate your feedback on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Where are you located? I might have a lead on a slightly used Griz with both a 10" and 8" contact wheel for $500. Looked brand new and bearing were tight.
I'm in NE Indiana (about two hours north of Indy). According to the Grizzly website, it looks like the nearest Grizzly showroom is in PA--unless there are other dealers who sell them.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast

The Sears 2 x 42 grinder is a good bench tool but if you can afford a real knife grinder, I'd get one. It'll make your life way easier. Here's what I did to my Sears 2 x 42. I made it a 2 x 72 and it opens up a whole range of belts that just don't come in the small sizes.

All it took was some 3/8 steel and 2" angle iron plus the will to cut your grinder in half

Old 08-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

QUOTE: According to the Grizzly website, it looks like the nearest Grizzly showroom is in PA--unless there are other dealers who sell them.

You don't need a showroom and no one else sells them. The shipping cost is INCLUDED in the price I quoted you. If you were able to pick it up you'd save shipping costs but then you'd have to pay sales tax plus travel expenses.

PS
Fill out your profile so we know where you are. As you can see from Crex's offer knowing where you are could prompt someone to offer unexpected help on some future problem ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Erik and Walt. Definitely gives me a lot to think about. I like the idea that I can get the complete package in the Grizzly vs. trying to cobble something up myself.

Wow! Nice work on the Craftsman, Dan. Looks like that would work pretty well. I don't know that I would have the guts to cut a grinder in half, though.

Ray,
I see what you mean regarding ordering the Grizzly vs. trying to pick one up. I really appreciate your help and insight on this.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 AM

Yeah the shipping on the used one from here would probably eat up the difference in getting one brand new w/warranty.
Nice conversion on the Sears unit Dan. Gotta do what we gotta do if we want to make knives. I hobbed my first big one together from scrounged parts. It lasted nearly 40 yrs before the bearings got worn out.
I found the biggest issue was power, motor is undersized on most "woodworking" grinders.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Yeah the shipping on the used one from here would probably eat up the difference in getting one brand new w/warranty.
Nice conversion on the Sears unit Dan. Gotta do what we gotta do if we want to make knives. I hobbed my first big one together from scrounged parts. It lasted nearly 40 yrs before the bearings got worn out.
I found the biggest issue was power, motor is undersized on most "woodworking" grinders.
That'a my fear too. I appreciate the head's up on the other grinder, though. I think I'll probably go with the Grizzly (as Ray suggested). Looks like it's gonna' be a nice Christmas this year!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Steel Addict

My humble two cents, if you're not going to buy the real thing get the cheapest thing you can. I bought my 1x30 sander out of ignorance, but I have found lots of uses for it. I end up using it somehow in almost every tinkering project I do. If it was just a little bigger and more powerful I could probably use it even more.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:11 AM

Be sure to get a 10" contact wheel with the Griz. Worth the little extra for "knuckle room" to the left of wheel. The 6" doesn't and the 8" just barely does clear the motor housing which makes things a little tricky to that side of the wheel.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-21-2013, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the "two cents," cbsmith111. I gladly welcome any and all advice. My own 1x30 has been put through h*ll and still works like a charm.

Thanks for letting me know about the 10" wheel, Carl. I've heard that the 10" is also a preferred size for hollow-grinding.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast

I built a pretty nice no weld grinder , made some modifications and really like what I ended up with. If you're good with builds and have a drill press and wrenches you can get it done for close to 550 or 600. I had less in it than that but I got a screaming deal on a contact wheel and had another wheel already.I used a 1HP Jacuzzi motor and had a drive shaft fabricated to make it a direct drive. It does everything I need.

MM

Tags
2x72, advice, angle, art, bearing, bee, blades, blaze, brand, brass, christmas, conversion, craftsman, g10, iron, knife, knives, made, make, package, problem, products, project, steel, weld