MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:11 PM

Cool clip-on lights at Target!

I was cruising through my local Target store earlier this evening when I happened to turn down the Flashlight aisle. I checked out some of the nifty new LED lights and was about to walk off when I spotted what I believe to be a new product (At least I've never seen it before...and I think I may have their stock memorized by now) ...

The new product is called "Anywhere Clip-On Lighting" by EyeMax...

You've all seen those little LED lights...they're turning up everywhere these days. Well that's what these two little lights are, but with a neat twist...They have strong little clips attached to the sides...There's two to a pack, and one light has the clips on one side, the 2nd light has the clips on the other side. This way you can conveniently clip them on either side of a hat, safety glasses, or as I tried out...An Optivisor.

Boy do these ever work great!!!!! Looking through my visor, the area in my focal view was nicely lit without benefit of any other light source....Cool!

$19.99 for the the two lights...they come with a neat, zipper carry pouch (although I have no idea why you'd be carrying these anywhere...perhaps camping or hiking,

I LOVE COOL GADGETS...Especially when they're actually functional!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 04-29-2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Dennis, I will look at them, am always amazed at all the new gadgets.

A while back I went to may favorite store, Home Depot looking for the import swivel lamps on articulated arms, about 4-6 dollarts apiece in the past, yikes they don't carry them now, they last maybe 4-6 years before the switches go bad, cause I use 100W lamps instead of 75 W bulbs. Shoot, now I gotta find something to replace them. Maybe LED if they bright enough.

thanks.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 04-30-2004, 10:50 PM

Gene-

These little tiny LED lights are no replacement for your shop lights...However, it's very cool to have these track with you wherever you look...Brings an extra burst of light to your work...especially useful any time you turn your head away from the work light.

I'm always on a quest for better lighting for the shop...I've got some favorites. Those swivel lamps with the articulated arms are fine...to make them even better still, try using the GE "Reveal" bulbs. They more or less simulate daylight conditions. They've become so popular you can now find them in your local drugstore. They're a bit pricier than the usual incandescent bulbs, but well worth the extra money. Most of the swing lamps will take either 60 or 75 watt...At that wattage (or any wattage for that matter), the Reveal lights blow away the "old fashioned" bulbs....Very pure, white light...Pretty close to the much more expensive "Ott Lites" (I've got one of those as well...would really be great if the lamp itself was better quality...In fairness, mine's a slightly older model...The new ones look pretty good...especially the BIG swing arm model. If interested, they can be found at Office Depot for way less $$$ than in the catalogs such as Rio Grande).

If you don't mind spending a few bucks more than the cheap swing lamps, I found a really great lamp at Staples. It's their "Draft" lamp. 150 watt with a hi-lo switch, it's got a very long, articulated arm (with double bars on the arm instead of the usual, much weaker single bars). Swings around real easy, and stops right where you want it! It's $39.95 and overnight has became my favorite light in the shop (and I've got quite a few from which to choose!)

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 04-30-2004, 10:57 PM

BTW-

While you're at Office Depot, check out the Tensor brand halogen lamps. They come in a desk model and a Great floor model. I swear they look a helluva lot like the real expensive halogen shop lights that Grizzly and Enco offer, for way less $$$.

I have the floor model...it sits next to my KMG grinder. Although the KMG is pretty well lit by some spots up on the wall, with it's very long "snake" neck I can position the Tensor to spot my work precisely where I'm grinding...makes a big difference!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!