MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:32 AM

Bench made 51 scales

I have a benchmade 51, and looking for some scales, titanium, flytanium is all out of stock from any site I could find, do you know people who make custon scales for bench made 51? Only the scales are needed.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:30 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

If you intend to replace the G-10 scales with titanium you'd be adding some weight to the knife. I suppose you'd want the scales skeletonized like the original scales and that will require someone with a good mill and considerable skill in using it with titanium. You might be better off taking the scales to a machine shop and having them duplicated in titanium. At a minimum I'd guess that those scales will double the price of your knife ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-30-2017, 08:09 PM
Guru

Do the scales have to be titanium? Would aluminum serve just as well? Just wondering, what do the originals have? Reason I ask is that titanium is not what your average machine shops keep in stock, they usually only order it for a specific job as it is expensive, but some may have some cut-offs in stock. It is also a bit on the hard side to machine, but no worse than stainless, they both wear out end mills.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:45 AM
Enthusiast

I agree with what Ray mentioned, if you want to replace those scales with titanium, be prepared to pay more for them than you did for the knife itself, least going through a custom maker. The material is expensive and extremely difficult to work, and small-volume parts are always pricey to have done commercially.

Restating jimmontg's question, do they have to be titanium? Aluminium, 6061 or 7075 preferably, would be a decent substitute if you just want a metal. The scaled design of the handles on that knife would also lend itself well to any number of synthetics, either a different color or pattern of micarta or g10, carbon fiber, stabilized woods, etc.

If it has to be titanium though, I'd recommend waiting for the flytanium to come back into stock. Going the custom route would be prohibitively expensive. For reference, at $100 per scale having the handles for my butterfly knives commercially cnc'd from aluminium, it was cheaper for me to buy the tools
Old 10-02-2017, 05:49 AM
Guru

If it was me I would stick with the titanium. But that's probilly because I work with titanium all the time and find it fairly easy to work with. however if I had to buy it from some one yes price is the key how much are you willing to spend titanium cost more than the rest of the materials out ther

Tags
back, benchmade, cnc, custom, design, easy, flytanium, g10, knife, knives, made, make, material, materials, micarta, mill, pattern, scale, scales, shop, stainless, titanium, tools, woods