MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 06-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Skilled

CPM M4 & Stag

This is a hunter I made from CPM M4, stag, buffalo horn and nickel silver. It has a 4.5 inch blade. The stag was a small piece I turned around backwards and cut a single finger groove behind the guard. It will be with us at the Blade Show, table 19M. Stop by and check it out.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Steel Addict

Harry, Would you give us a report on how the CPM M4 worked as far as sawing , grinding and polishing. Also your knives are great looking.

Thanks, Jim
Old 06-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Skilled

Jim, the CPM M4 was not all that bad in an annealed state. It did seem to cut a little slower, but I don't know if that was just me expecting something to be different. I carried it as close to finished as I could prior to having it heat treated, because I knew it was going to be a bear once it was hard. I am VERY glad I did too. That stuff is the most resistant to polishing of any steel I have ever worked. We hand polish our knives and use a satin finish, and it was not fun at all. If this is any indication of the wear resistance, it will be off the scale. This is not going to be steel that we will regularly use, but one that will be limited to special requests.

Here is a picture of one Charlie just finished with CPM M4 that is a custom order. It has a 4.25 inch blade, ivory handles with black liners, domed pins and stainless bolsters. The tang is tapered, and the back has finger grooves. It will likely get some engraving before the final acceptance from the customer.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:32 AM
Skilled

I look forward to seeing it Friday.

jc

GEORGIA CUSTOM KNIFEMAKERS GUILD / CHARTER MEMBER
Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 AM

Nice work guys.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Master

Very nice both!!Specialy like the top one!!
Alberto
Old 06-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

great guys see you sat.george
Old 06-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Steel Addict

Very nice design and finish to match. I love the material choice for that design.
If only some day I can come close to that grind and finish you two put on a knife.
I hope with-in the next two years I'll be able to afford to spend a week with somebody like you and Charlie and help raise the level on my fit and finish. Thanks for feed back on the CPM M4 and showing us newbee's what a knife is suppose to look like.

Jim
Old 06-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Clive's Knives

A couple of class knives.Thanks for showing.
Hope you have a good show.
Clive
Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the comments guys. We always look forward to the Blade Show, whether we are showing or looking, it's a great place to be. I really like both sides of the table.

Jim, it more than likely would not take a week to improve your fit 'n finish, probably just a few hours would be enough to get you started. Sometimes it just takes a little different perspective on what you are doing. The Georgia guild is a great place to get help also. Just ask, those guys are more than willing to help, and at the quarterly meetings, there are always demonstrations going on. To me, one on one time in a makers shop would be the fastest way to improve your skills, but it might be expensive too.

Clive, I have a son heading down to your part of the world next week. He is traveling with a group called People to People and is really excited about the trip. Australia is one place I have always wanted to go myself. One day maybe.........

Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 PM

I'm sure there is a lot of "WoW!" factor in the new steel, but the visuals alone on these two is enough to get my juices flowing ! Each one so very different, but each a classic

Mike

Old 06-07-2007, 02:04 AM
Clive's Knives

Harry,just as well he did not arrive in Brisbane yesterday or he would have considered most of us a bit crazy.
It was our first decent rain for nearly two years.Kids out playing in it etc.
Hope your lad has a good time here,Clive.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Skilled

Clive, he'll have a great time. He has become fascinated with your county over the last few months. I keep telling him that he will only get to see a small part in the three weeks he is there and it will just make him want to go back. It didn't rain here the whole month of May and we thought we were dry. I can't imagine two years with out rain. That might make me want to sell my boat. I'm off to the Blade Show.

Tags
blade, knife, knives