MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 04-26-2001, 06:43 AM
Mike Conner

Anvil Questions

I have found an old Peter Wright Anvil that is approximately 100 lbs., but the surface has been rather abused. If I put it on a surface grinder to clean it up, how much material could I remove without being in danger of removing all of the hardened steel?
Also how would you go about re-heat treating the surface if necessary?
I can get the anvil for under $100, so is it worth the effort, or should I just keep looking for a bargin on one that is in better shape?
Comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Old 04-26-2001, 09:44 PM
BlacksmithRick

If an anvil is in poor condition I would stay away from it. Do you want to spend your time rebuilding the anvil or using it? I would get a large block of steel at a scrapyard for $30 to use as an anvil or save my $ until a good anvil comes along.

Old 04-26-2001, 10:58 PM
Ed Caffrey

Rick makes a good point on waiting for a good anvil, however, if you already have aquired the anvil, and are looking to fix it up, there are a couple of things that can be done.
1. If your going to surface grind it, first determine how thick the surface plate is (if indeed it has one), and the go no more than 1/3 it's thickness. If no surface plate is evident, then it is fair safe to assume that the anvil is of solid cast steel. In this case you can go as far as necessary.
2. I have repaired badly pitted anvils (which had surface plates), by slowly filling the pit with hard surfacing welding rod. The trick here is to use just enough amps to get a good bond of the materials, then fill a little of the pit, let it cool, and fill some more. Over fill the pit(s), and then surface the anvil. There will be dots on the finished face due to the unlike materials, but it will otherwise be a fine using anvil.
Old 04-27-2001, 06:21 AM
Mike Conner

Thanks guys, I believe I'll pass on this one and wait until I find a better one. I have a steel plate that is 2.5 inches thick x 16 wide x 24 long that I am currently using, so I guess it will do until I can find a good anvil that is affordable.
Thanks again,
Mike