MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 01-08-2001, 12:44 AM
Jason G Howell

Stag

Anybody try to get any stag from the big suppliers lately? Curious as to the availability. TKS was out last I checked, not sure about the others. I did see the post about Eagle Grips, any good?

Anyhow, today I picked up 120 sticks (tapers) from a local knifemaker that has slowed his production up some. Some are good to awesome, most is average. I could have gotten another 120 tapers that were a little below average, but passed on it. Thinking now maybe I should have jumped on the rest of it.
Old 01-08-2001, 08:26 AM
dogman

Unless the ban is lifted, I think stag will become a thing of the past. Same thing goes for most of the other natural materials...all the premium stuff has been used up and supplies and sizes are going down as prices are going up. Pretty soon, we will all be making knives with diamondwood handles

I will give a report on the Eagle Grips stag when I get it...hopefully this week.
Old 01-20-2001, 12:06 AM
KandSKNIVES

Ray Simonich of Kopromed has some real good looking Euro stag,prices vary on size and quantity. 1,406,933,9151.
Ken
Old 02-18-2001, 08:47 PM
Geno

I was checking for stag and hoped someoe had some.

It's getting too expensive. I've decided to grow my own. I just hope it grows better than my pearl plant.
Old 03-29-2001, 07:09 PM
LPowell

Stag

Anyone know if stag that has sat for a few years is still suitable for knife making? Have the opportunity to obtain about 400 to 500 full rack pieces, but if they aren't worth fooling with then I don't wanna waste my time.
Larry
llzp@ev1.net
Old 03-29-2001, 07:54 PM
dogman

Hi, Larry.
Are they American stag? Caribou? I don't think time makes a difference. They need to air cure anyway.

BTW, All your emails to me come blank.
Old 03-30-2001, 05:54 AM
Terry Hearn

Larry , its proably not hurt any, find out what kind it is.
I've used some that had been laying around in a barn for about ten years, not a crack anywhere.
Old 03-30-2001, 10:21 AM
Mondt

I use a lot of domestic stag on my handles. My personal experience has been the older the better. That is if the antler has been in out of the sun and rain. Even then some of the cracked knarly looking stuff can be stabilized and make a beautiful handle.
Old 03-31-2001, 02:26 PM
LPowell

Stag

Dogman,
Sorry about the email prob. I am not sure what was causing it, but I think it's fixed now. Was able to send mail to a couple of other people who said they couldn't see anything in my mails either. I'll try to mail ya later on this evening if I get the time. The stag horn is just deer that have been shot over the past several years, so I would imagine they are plain ole American (whitetail?)deer (no clue really.)Thanks for the input.
Larry
Old 03-31-2001, 02:30 PM
LPowell

Stag

Dogman,
Sorry about the email prob...think it's fixed now. I think it's fallow deer and whitetail, but I can't say for certain. My browser is acting stupid right now, so if there are three or four posts to this it's because of the browser. Old computer. Thanks for the input.
Larry
Old 03-31-2001, 02:33 PM
LPowell

Stag

Mondt,

Do you or anyone else here know anything about the stabilizing process? I'd like to find a way to do that anyway, especially if it can be done inexpensively.
Larry
Old 03-31-2001, 08:56 PM
Mondt

K&G offers stabilizing service, I think.

I use WSSI 800-301-9774.
Old 04-01-2001, 07:08 PM
Rob Simonich

KandsKNIVES, I think you have me confused with someone else! I am not with Kopromed, and my name is Rob, but you have my phone number right! I dont have any stag at all and have never sold it.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:30 PM
JerryO13

www.411web.com/K/KOPROMED/Contactus.htm

for Kopromed its Rob Simonson by the way (360) 687-5138
he has european red stag.

Not Rob Simonich of Talonite fame! Sorry Rob.
Old 04-03-2001, 09:51 PM
Rob Simonich

No problemo!

Tags
knife, knife making, knives