MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-08-2003, 03:16 AM

Just got an anvil and now got questions

Hey eveyone,
I got a couple questions preyying someone can help. As stated I just got an anvil off ebay. Said it was pro grade I'm 99.9% sure it ain't. So that brings up questions in my mind.

Question 1) is there any way I can tell if the anvil is heat treated? (I mailed the guy twice now with no reply yet)

Question 2) there is no holes in the feet of the anvil do I really need them? (the anvil is 110 pounds setting it on a 2-2.5 foot diameter log)

If yes on 2 question 3) best drill bit size and way to make them?

Darn had another question about it but can't remember now.

Thanks every one
Jason

Old 01-08-2003, 06:01 AM
Living Legend

Jason,

Welcome to the forums.

The face of the anvils should be hard and can be tested by dropping a steel ball (1") from a height of about 18" . The ball should bounce quite high if the face is hardened (at least a foot). If the ball only bounces a few inches it is probably not hard.

You can also look for the manufacturer's name and contact them. Is this a new anvil?

As far as mounting it. You don't need any holes in the feet. Most people buy large nails and hammer them in next to one foot and bend it over the foot. There should then be one on the other side of the same foot, bending the other way over the foot.

Since the anvil is pretty heavy, you could just wet it in top of a couple 1X4's and draw out the half moon circles between the feet and cut them out. Put the anvil where you want it and nail the half moons in place. All you have to do it keep it from walking around on you.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 01-10-2003, 02:22 AM

Thank you for the info Bob.

1" steel ball bounces a foot off it huh? Cool and easy!

Yea the anvil is new. But I couldn't find a manufaturer's name and I never got a reply from the guy I baught it from . I knew when buying the anvil it will be a good beginning anvil for me but not the best in the world . It was only about $50.00 new and steel so couldn't go too wrong with that price right?

Jason