MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2017, 01:29 PM

Newbie Shop, Anvil, and forge questions.

I've been doing stock removal the 4 months, have 4 decent-ish knives under my belt, ran out of acetylene which I have been using to heat treat, and decided it was time to get more efficient, and just built a propane burner- T-style venturi (which seems to be working pretty good).

I will mostly use the forge for heat treating at first- I have another 3 knifes with initial grinding done waiting to be treated, but want to learn how to forge knives eventually.

So now to all my questions.

First, for the forge it-self, I have an old 10-gallon-ish steel milk jug I picked up for cheap. Dimensions are 16' x 13' exterior(16' at the 13' diameter, then it gets narrower, but I would probably just cut it off at 16', then kaowool and firebrick on the interior). Would this make a decent forge, or is it too big for 1 burner.
I also have a bunch of heavy duty fire brick left over from a pizza oven I built, so I could do a temporary brick forge while I am using it for heat treat only.

Also, I am going to buy my propane tank today. Should I just start out with a little 5 gallon, or is it worth it to go big to start. Checking my budget and local suppliers, I could go up to a 100 pound tank(25 gallon).

Second, I am looking for an anvil, and as of yet have not found any at a decent price, or any pieces of scrap metal worth large enough. Would it be worth getting a HF 55lb anvil for ~$55, or would that money be better spent elsewhere?

Finally, I am building a workshop currently- really just a shed. I plan on it being 8x12. Is there anything specific I should consider while building it, and how much clearance will a gas forge need?

Thanks for helping a new guy out!

Last edited by danjmath; 10-03-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Tags
anvil, bee, belt, brick forge, building, burner, cheap, firebrick, forge, gas forge, grinding, heat, heat treat, heat treating, helping, how to, kaowool, knives, make, metal, newbie, shop, steel, stock removal, workshop