MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Steel Addict

Anvil Tools

I've been thinking about these for quite a while, just haven't gotten around to finishing them until today. The materials I used to make them are pictured below-some scrap steel from an old farm implement at a scrap yard I got a while back and a BIG Allen wrench.

I always liked the idea of flatter hammers, especially when I first started and was just draw filing. Nothing like trying to get through all those hammer dings I'd left behind. But, flatter hammers seem to be a little hard to find, as well as expensive when you do. The other draw back was I don't have a hold down or another set of hands to help hold stuff to use one. Here's my version of a one person flatter. (Please ignore the painfully bad looking weld job...)

I wanted it to pivot so I could use it on material of different heights as well as swivel to accommodate angles.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Steel Addict

And here's the other one. I don't have a press yet and like to put together some low layer billets by hand. I'm getting ready to do some tomahawks and was wanting something to help fuller the material out, not just the back end of my hammer. This is based on the same principle-doesn't matter what height material I use, it pivots and will work on shorter or taller stuff.

I rounded over the bottom pretty good, so hopefully will get the job done.

I know this isn't ideal and thought of trying to build a "Godzilla" type tool. When thinking about it all, Bing had a good idea that I could make the top jaw of the Godzilla one adjustable to accommodate whatever size stock...for some reason I just didn't feel like it. I'm fairly sure I'm just a bit too lazy to have to undo bolts and move it anytime I had a larger billet. Also, this only fullers one side at a time, but I'm not too lazy to turn my material over and whack it again . Plus, I thought there may be some times where I just wanted to fuller one side.

Anywho, figured I'd share.

Jeremy
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I like your thinking Jer! Those fall right along the lines of "Work smarter...not harder" Good on ya!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Master

I like shop solutions, thanks for showing them Jeremy. If it seems to get a little off after using it for a bit, maybe redrill those pivots for the biggest bolts you have laying around.

Take care, Craig
Old 08-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Steel Addict

So far, they seem to work ok. The flatter is definitely better than the fullering tool. I tried to use the fuller on the edge of a hidden tang to draw it out and the fuller wanted to teeter totter on such thin material. On wider stuff, guessing it might be better? The flatter was great though at the end of forging to help take out the dings and align everything nicely. 50% success isn't too bad, right?

Jeremy
Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Skilled

very cool Tool well done . sometimes the simple tools helps us out when we do not over think them.

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !

Tags
anvil, back, bee, blade, build, edge, fixed blade, flat, forging, hammer, hand, hidden, hidden tang, make, material, materials, pivot, press, simple, solutions, steel, tang, tools, weld