MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast

After that last question, I sort of want to get this thread back on track. I'm still hoping to see a few posts of other peoples first knives.

I just did up a sketch for my next knife I hope to make (I use the word hope because it might be ambitious). I plan to give this to a friend with the intent of being a neck knife. I personally think it's a little on the large size, being 6" OAL, but he's a big guy and that's what he'd like.

The darker piece running from the tip down the spine I plan to turn into a false edge. Partly to shave some weight, because I think it'll be a bit heavy. Partly because I think it will look nice.

As usual, opinions and advice are always welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigmitchdesign2.jpg (205.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Guru

Smaller size not power, I have a Delta 1/2 hp 1x42 with a 8" disc sander. If you are going to spend $100 just get that 2x42 I linked, shipping is free, but it has a 1/3hp motor.

That seems too big for a neck knife ash, but he's your customer. I might drill some holes to lighten it before heat treat.

Last edited by jimmontg; 01-30-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Smaller size not power, I have a Delta 1/2 hp 1x42 with a 8" disc sander. If you are going to spend $100 just get that 2x42 I linked, shipping is free, but it has a 1/3hp motor.

That seems too big for a neck knife ash, but he's your customer. I might drill some holes to lighten it before heat treat.
Super, thanks.

HA! a customer implies he would be paying me in some way. He's just a really stubborn friend. I've told him that this thing is going to be too big for a necker, but he disagrees. I've learnt over the years to just let it happen with him. I planned to make a larger knife anyways, so it will still help me transition.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:56 PM
Guru

Well I would just say save yourself time and put a smaller belly on it.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I have a 1x42, its handy for all sorts of small jobs like shortening screws or any other light grinding. For making blades its definitely better than a 1x30 but that still isn't saying much. Bottom line on these little grinders is that the belts are just too small which means they wear out VERY quickly. And, as you mentioned they are usually under powered. I know some guys build them up (I changed the pulleys on mine) but if you're going to do that you should probably just hang on to the money until you can buy something better. I'm not a huge fan of 2x42 or 2x48 grinders either but for a first grinder they are far FAR better than any of the 1" grinders and can generally be had for about twice the price...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

Started working on my next knife over the weekend, have about 14 hours into it so far. It's been a lot of hard work, and I learned a few new things. Primarily that if you plan to file your knife into shape by hand, make sure that you cut as close as possible to your design with the hacksaw to save time and work. I didn't want to run into the same problem I had with my first knife, and cut in too far, and sort of ended up with the opposite problem. The second thing I learned in the process was that cutting your knife out of cardboard is a great idea. I knew it would help, just didn't know how much. It can really make the difference between making a knife that looks cool and one that feels really nice.

I decided to go with the ask forgiveness not permission on this one in regards to what my friend wanted, and compromised. The knife he wanted was going to be too big, and after mocking it up on cardboard I didn't like how it felt. I shrunk things down a bit, and changed up the handle. The knife is now about 5.5" overall, and is probably a little large for neck carry, but plenty fine for an EDC on a belt. The thing feels great and I'm able to get lots of different grips on it. I put it in his hands and he was sold.

Here's a couple pictures. First one is just after cutting out with a hacksaw, the second is where I'm at now. It's sanded to a 120 grit and I plan to drill some holes and harden it next weekend - We were down to -40 with wind on the weekend, and I didn't want to stand in that. Next weekend were forecast for +3. Good old prairie winters.

As always, let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knife 2-1.jpg (158.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Knife 2-6.JPG (104.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-08-2017, 10:46 AM

If it suits your customer then ya done good. If it was mine, I'd probably bring the spine down making the blade narrower and imparting a more continuous curve from the handle to the tip of the blade ...

Old 02-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
If it suits your customer then ya done good. If it was mine, I'd probably bring the spine down making the blade narrower and imparting a more continuous curve from the handle to the tip of the blade ...
I might just try that out. I decided that I want to make one of these for myself with a couple small tweaks, so maybe that will be one of them.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Skilled

I usually cut a prototype from 1/4" plywood and maybe tweak it. When I get what I want, I save it as a template to use for future blades. Little more durable than cardboard and you can use it multiple times.

Having said that, I'd like to get all of my "successful" designs into a mild steel to use as permanent templates.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 04-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast

Hey guys, haven't been posting for a bit, but I haven't stopped making or reading your posts. I didn't get a chance to finish the last knife. The buddy I was making it for decided after I showed him the progress last time, that he wanted to try and finish it himself. To be honest I'm glad I'm done with that one. For now I plan to just make knives I would use/like, and if I feel like giving them away, I will. That is my mindset with my current knife (I'll add pictures in the next little bit) and I'm enjoying the process more this way. Less worry about whether or not someone else will like it. Just wanted to post that in case any newbies are reading this and looking to make knives for friends. I absolutely love making things for my friends and family, but in my opinion the hobby is for your enjoyment, so try and keep that in mind.

anyways......

The real reason I'm posting again, is that I'm looking for some feedback/opinions on filework. Specifically filework that isn't just decorative, but will work well as jimping (if that's possible). I've been experimenting a little bit on some scrap steel, but so far the patterns I've tried, while looking nice, don't actually add a lot of extra grip compared to just plain toothy (not sure what the proper term would be) jimping. If someone has come across a pattern they have found works well in wet conditions I would be very interested/appreciative if you could share your ideas.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:56 PM
Guru

As a hobbist all your knives should be what you want to do and what you enjoy to do...if you start making knives for cash then yes you will have to do somethings that customers want. hopefully eventually you go back to making what you want. Another knife maker told me a while back the best you can hope for as a knife maker is to be able to make the knives YOU want to make and still sell them as quick as you make them. But again being a hobbist do what you want. I look at each knife as a learning experience so you go in the direction of what you want to learn and the style of knives you want to make. If you want to gift them or get a few bucks for them even better but don't do what others want especially like you said you weren't getting paid for it....Sorry cant help you with the file work thing that hasn't been in my path well yet anyway
Old 04-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast

This is the latest one I'm working on. Plunge lines are a little off kilter, so I think I'll be making a plunge guide this weekend. I tried to do more freehand grinding on this one versus a jig, and I think it worked out alright. I think belt sander is probably in my future, I'm still enjoying doing the file work by hand, but I also want to speed things up a bit more.

This one has a 3 1/2" handle and blade made from 1/8" 1085. I still need to drill some more holes in the handle, for both pins and to get rid of some weight. The plan is to use this as my main camp knife if things work out and heat treat goes smoothly. I'm a bit nervous because I've brought the bevel down probably a bit further than I should have. The last one I left way too thick and it was a bugger to fix after heat treating, so I was trying to avoid that. I'll just keep a very close eye on it while it's in the forge and cross my fingers.

Just so it doesn't get lost because of my long winded posts, I'm still looking for some opinions on filework that works well as jimping and not just decoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knife2 - Left.jpg (31.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Knife2 - Right.jpg (32.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-20-2017, 05:50 PM

There is one way to make jimping that absolutely does work and that is simply use a file that is specifically made for that purpose and that's called a checkering file. These are expensive files but they last for years if you don't try to use them on hardened steel. They are available from most of the knife supply places. You have seen what they do on most any commercial pocket knife that has a jimped thumb space on it (see one of mine in the attached pic) or on the checkered front strap of some pistols with that feature...

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 04-01-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast

Checkering files are something I've definitely looked into. I've used a few blades with similar jimping and I think you're right, it's probably the most practical and best working in wet conditions. I was just hoping to maybe find something that looks a bit more decorative. I see all the nice looking vine work and things that some of the other knife makers are doing and would really like to incorporate some, but I also want it to have a function. I'm starting to think I want my cake and to eat it too though, and I will need to choose one or the other.

Last edited by ash_a101; 04-21-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:32 AM
Guru

Again I don't do much file work. But I would think that ANY file work up on the spine would improve the grip where the thumb would sit. NOW decoration file work may not be as grippy as some deep jimping but I would think its still better than not having anything there at all

Tags
1084, art, back, bee, begginer, blade, edge, file, files, forge, hand, handles, heat, heat treating, kiridashi, knife, knives, made, making, post, sanding, scales, sharp, steel, white