MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:36 AM

Red face

There many natural dyes out there on craft sites such as basketweaving, quilting etc.

Last edited by jimanddianaa; 05-20-2006 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 05-20-2006, 08:44 AM

I would like to dye/stain deer antlers. HOW EVER IT MAY BE DONE.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Howdy Jim and welcome -
Your note on natural dyes is very apropos - thanks!

For dying antler of all types there are several methods: strong coffe or tea are some natural ways, but since they are using water it also means letting the antler dry completely. Another is the use of Potassium Permanganate a chemical originally used for killing the bugs on imported Sambar stag - this is a strong oxidizer though and needs to be neutralized with a baking soda wash. It looks nice to begin with but after using it and getting feedback I quit because I've found that it tends to get "ratty" looking over time.
After many years of trial and error I have come to prefer Fiebings Spirit Dyes (not their pro-oil) - I use varying shades/layers of black, brown and British tan to get the "look" I want.
To see some examples check out the Frontier Knives Showcase on my website - any questions fire away...........

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Copied form anotehr post on using Vinegar based black dye (aka vinegaroon)

1) Be sure and neutralize with a baking soda water mix - about a heaping tablespoon to a pint of water will work - slosh it on and after it quits fizzing rinse with clear water. The leather doesnot/should not get soaked just damp. This neutralizes and will also darken and "set" the color better.

2) After that and while still damp add a LIGHT coat or two of oil (the operative word here is LIGHT - a couple or three LIGHT coats are better than one heavy coat) - you can use neatsfoot or a light olive oil (olive oil was known as sweet oil way back when and was used in a multitude of ways when a light oil was needed) - I also like Montana Pitchblend, a mix of mink oil, bees wax, and pine pitch - smells great!. Let sit for at least 24 hours and then seal over the oil with your normal finish if you wish.

Hope this helps...........

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Steel Addict

I've got a bunch of green walnuts on the ground after the recent wind storms so I'm about ready to make some dye.

Is this going to stink up my shop something horrible if I do it on the stove top or should I do it outside?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Registered

Hi Chuck,

I hope I'm in the right place. The last post in this thread was 2008.

I have a piece of caribou antler that I'm using for a handle on a diamond willow cane. I've cut the antler for the handle and sanded it so it's really smooth. Normally I polish the antler so it ends up sort of an off white and semi-glossy. I thought I'd like to try to stain/dye the antler back to a brown color to see what that would look like. I joined this forum because I found a reference for homemade walnut stain being used on knife handles made from antlers. Several guys that used it really raved about it. I was trying to find out if the homemade walnut stain would work for my project and where I might get some. Alternatively, are there other ways to put a longlasting brown stain on antlers?

I remember when I was a kid in Iowa how walnut shucks could stain things. Unfortunately, we are fresh out of walnuts up here in Alaska.

Frank
Old 01-22-2012, 04:46 AM
Steel Addict

Frank,

I believe what Chuck meant was to come to this thread and read the many different views and ideas on the subject.
There is a lot of great info stored in those older posts!!

If you don't get any replies, try and ask Alex at (KNAdmin) he will help direct your question to the correct forum.

Jeff

Tags
antler, blade, diamond, forge, handle, knife, knives, post