MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:25 AM

What happened ??

After joining this forum, I noticed nobody visits here anymore. I shower on a regular basis so I know I'm not offending. How come the N.C. makers never post here ? I really thought this site was for the local guys but guess not. Ahhhhh well ...................

Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 PM

Ken, I am from North Carolina ( Charlotte) so I am posting- I am a friend of Jerry
Meacham- he and I went to the Blade show saturday- - I was telling him that you had joined the Knife Network forum and that you were going to demo at a Knife Guild meeting in Troy soon. I have never met you , but I welded up the trigger guard on one of the pistols that you were engravig. I will see you at the Knife guild meeting
Old 06-01-2009, 08:46 AM

PTPIDDLER --- good to hear from you. Jerry and I go back some years and he is always a pleasure to talk to -- never met him face to face. Would like to have been at Atlanta for the show But, bad back prevents me from any lengthy travel. See you at Travis's shop in Oct.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Guru

Hi Ken - a lot of our local makers aren't involved so much on internet forums, so you don't see as much traffic as you might like over here. If you keep posting, maybe other people will follow suit.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 06-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Skilled

hey Cap, i think you should move the photo of the sheath to the sheath gallery. Trav

Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM

Hi ya Cap, I'll give it a try & see what happens. I just bought a book titled "How to Make a Folder" ---- I'm going to see just how closely I can fit the parts, get it together & scratchit up. Just want to say actually mage one.

Trav, youg Jeffery is still straining at his harness, rareing to get over to your shop & get started learning how to make knives. Seems his folks are behind him . We'd like to come visit next week end for a day if that works for you. I'll be calling you re. coming over. ken

Old 06-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Show us your stuff

PD, I noticed that you are new to this forum as I am. As I'm not a knife maker yet, why don't you show us some pictures of your doings ! I'm sure many will find it interesting. Soon as I learn (make that as soon as my wife learns) how to post pictures, I'll get a few shots of stuff I've engraved. I have one picture of an integral made by our own Ron Best that I engraved. For those of you who aren't aware of it, Ron Best (Stokes, M.C.) won the Cronk award two times in a row. Ron wasn't aware of this forum but does now --- he has or will be joining. Thank Mr. Travis for that. opps --- sorry Travis, you did warn me about that Mr. stuff -- my bad. Ken

Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Guru

Hi Travis - I'll post the sheath over at the other forum too, I don't know if I can move it. I spoke with Sandy at Blade and showed it to him. He said it came out nice. I will give you a call later on in the week when I'm back in North Carolina, they made me fly out to Ohio for work straight from the show.

Ken - if you want to make a folder, you're in luck since you've hooked up with Bob Ham, he's pretty darn good at it. Alan isn't far from where you're at either, if you're interested in liner locks you might want to give him a ring with questions.

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 06-02-2009, 04:04 PM

Cap ----- please forward me Alans last name, town and ph. number so that i can call me, thanks. ken kenhurst@suddenlink.net

Old 06-02-2009, 05:04 PM

Ken,

His name is Alan Folts. He's one of the nicest, most generous guys you'll ever meet. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to show you how to make a linerlock folder.

If you ever make it up to Danville, Virginia then stop by and I'll show you how I do it.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Guru

You've got some of the best makers in the east right here within driving distance. You can get Alan's number from our member's list here:
http://ncknifeguild.org/members/

He'll help you out with just about anything knife related. Just like all these other guys you've been talking with.

This quote pains me:
Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks Cap and Barry.

Cap, I called and left a message on Alan's phone this afternoon ---- no reply yet. Will attempt to call him tomorrow. Have "How to Make a Folder" book in transit to help give me a head start. Don't want to go into this blind. Bob Ham has also generously offered his help making folders too. Hopefully I'll be able to set down and design a classic folder in the near future and complete the knife myself. Of course, it will have to have adequete area available for a stone/shell & gold inlay with full coverage scroll. I will bring the surface up to perhaps a 3000 grit polish via hand polishing --- unless the general concensus feels differently. All ideas & comments more than welcomed ---- seriously.

Barry, I would love to visit But, having had a broken back in my youth along with the effects of aging prevents me from riding more than roughly an hour a day. To bad for me, there's so much to learn. At my age (soon to be 70) , I find I enjoy teaching folks what I have learned re. engraving over these last 51 years. It's really a joy passing on what I have learned as y'll have offered so generously to me. Please give me a visit if you are ever in this part of the country ---- I'd consider it a real treat. Ken

Old 06-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

Ken, I am not ignorring you. I swear...

Being a part time maker and having a full time Job, the week after Blade Show is mostly spent in a vegitative state.. Alas, this year I had to go right back to doing prototypes and doing some sheathwork to send back out to customers.

If you are interested in learning linerlock folders, I am always here for ya... I dont know how much help I can be for a traditional folder, But I am sure I can help with something...

Can you make it as far as Greenville for a day in the shop?

Alan Folts
Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Hi Alan --- thanks for the reply. I got your number from the phone book & left a message but wasn't sure it was an up to date number. The "How to Make a Folder" book is on it's way to me as I write. I'd like to read some of it before bothering you first. Once I'm comfortable that I at least have some understanding, I'll make contact. Getting to Greenville will be no problem --- I'll be back in touch when I'v done a little reading. Many thanks for your generous offer --- much appreciated. Ken 910-221-5288

Old 06-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Enthusiast

No problemo Ken! Just let me know when and IF you need any help!

Alan

Tags
blade, knife, knives