MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Skilled

whats your favorite knife magazine?

i recently read the december issues of knives ilustrated and Blade, and thought i would ask what magazines everyone else likes. i have seen alot of metion of blade before and it says on there that theyre the number one magazine but i personally prefer KI, blade is thicker, therefore more bang for your buck but i think KI has more interesting content and nicer photos, Blade also seems to be way to full of ads. So what do you guys think? oh and lets not forget blades international, i think it would be my favorite, just due to the cover price and it has great pictures.

Brett Holmes
Old 12-10-2005, 01:32 AM
Guru

I have a subscription to Blade but also buy KI and Tactical knives. All three have their good and bad points in my opinion but as far as knife related magazines those are my monthly reads.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 12-10-2005, 02:25 AM

I think Coop should start up a knife magazine! He could call it SHARPS or EDGE or something. Perhaps a contest to pick a name...

It should focus on the custom makers. Maybe a different maker could be focus each month. A partnership with KNET could give birth to a large feature of the magazine which highlights interesting developments from right here in the forums. Sort of a highlight reel for those of us who don't catch everything. Sure would be a great way to document things like the 'Worthy Cause' auctions.

With his photography, and the technical and journalistic skills of other contributors, I know I'd buy a subscription (and an advertisement block)! Hell, I can draw the cartoons!

What say you Coop?

(All in jest, of course... but a great idea none-the-less)

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-10-2005, 03:41 AM
Guru

Andrew, I dont care what anyone says about you......Your a heck of a guy with some great ideas. Lets get it started. I work for a company that would do the printing. We could call it the Knife Coop !

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 12-10-2005, 03:52 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
I subscribe to both Blade and KI. i have always favored Blade slightly, but they are both very good. I think Tactical Knives is oriented too much toward folders and ugly fixed blades....lol. As an ABS member, I also get American Bladesmith, which is much smaller and more focused, but informative. I think the Coop idea is a good one. Maybe an e-zine for starters would be a good idea.
Joe Mandt

Last edited by jdm61; 12-10-2005 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:18 AM
Skilled

I enjoy all that have been mentioned each have good articals, but my fav. is K.I. as for Coop i'm shure it would be a good one.

Regards Bob
Old 12-10-2005, 05:51 AM

Dang Shane! Now ya got me worried about what people say about me!

I'll do my part! I'm sure we could get a grass-roots knife mag put together.

Just gotta get Coop interested now.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-10-2005, 05:52 AM

BTW Shane, what's up with the vac pump?

www.kansasknives.org

Old 12-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Talking Magazine for customs! I like it!!!

I think the magazine is a great idea.

In collaboration with Alex and the Knife Network it would be a sure winner!

I'd like to see a monthly printed publication, and I'd surely subscribe to it.

Somebody PM Alex and get him into this.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:54 AM

Huh...???!!! :D

I open up an interesting thread and I am now being touted as a publisher. You guys are flattering, for sure.

The closest I have come to a publication consideration would be a calendar. And even that I have only a passing thought. As a hard-working part-timer I just haven't spent the required time. Maybe this will light a fire under me.

Terrill Hoffman started a magazine under the 'KnifeForums' banner a couple years ago. It was short-lived but interesting (The PHOTOS were!)

I am told KI has just changed ownership. That will make changes. I like all of the ones mentioned. I also like reading the KnifeWorld monthly newspaper.

Thanks again, but please don't wait by your mailbox for me....

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 12-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Living Legend

Perhaps if KI has changed hands again they will re-institute proofreading. It's a good mag except for the frequent glaring errors.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
There was a time when Blade was my favorite....however, over the years I've watched as ALL the knife magazines go to a policy of advertising dollars equals exposure. I had one of the major magazine editors tell me in no uncertain terms that whoever spends the most money advertising with them, gets the most exposure in their magazine.
That's a little too much like Blackmail for me. I currently subscribe only to KI, but find the same issues as Fitz does with it.
I have a pile of the various knife magazines dating back to the early 80s, and find it very obvious that as the years rolled by, the magazines shifted their focus to advertsing for exposure venue. Pay close attention to the current issues of each publication and I think you'll find that those who are getting articles have either large ads placed in the magazine, or have been advertising for a number of issues before the article appeared. I know it's only "business" but it still rubs me the wrong way.

I would love to see a magazine devoted to custom/handmade knives, without all the factory crap clogging up the pages.....but I suppose that's only a dream since most custom folks can't afford to take out lengthy advertising contracts like the factories can.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 12-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to Joel
I'll have to go with KI as my primary favorite. The only time I buy Blade anymore is if I find an article(or two) there that interests me. I often buy Tactical Knives also. While a lot of the articles are about them "ugly" tacticals, they often have articles about some other knives that are hard use stuff but are made in more conventional styles.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzo
Perhaps if KI has changed hands again they will re-institute proofreading. It's a good mag except for the frequent glaring errors.
hahahah that cracked me up Mike..
Old 12-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Living Legend

Tracy, I felt sorry for Tom Ferry about the errors in the article in KI last month. To another maker, they are just plain funny. Apparently the maker doesn't get to preview the article. I rather doubt Tom would suggest blades would be made from Timascus or that his grinder is a "Kay MG"!

Given the fact that old J. Bruce Himself has actually editorialized about the intense editing for accuracy, I feel those errors are somewhat ironic.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives