MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-29-2016, 12:06 AM

I am fairly certain the 8-4 handle is brown micarta. I will get better photos of the 2-5 tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:21 PM
Skilled

Any close-up pictures of the handle would help the conclusions about the 8-4, but it may be that we are close enough on vintage determination.

There are some knowledgeable Randall commentators on other venues (note: the commentators here are pretty friendly, low key and reliable) who will occasionally jump to a conclusion about a feature of a knife based on low resolution pictures. Some of these people can be a little condescending about their observations too. My advice is be skeptical about such off-hand comments. I've learned to be cautious about early definitive judgments without some good details. Here is an example:

It would seem that the knife second from left is brown Micarta, especially compared to the black Micarta of the knife first left and far right. Actually, the knife second left is black Micarta (note the knife third left is ebony). Those pictures were taken indoors in low light condition. The Micarta is black but with strong brown tones. Below is the same 2nd-left knife with the picture taken outdoors, modest shade, which is the lighting that seems best for looking at details.

Thanks for posting these very interesting knives. Regards.

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-30-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Skilled

Tom purchased the brown micarta Model 8 already. It is definitely brown micarta.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:38 PM
Skilled

Thanks Bill, for no particular definitive reason I kind of thought it could be brown Mc (also thought it might be ebony) which is why I listed those option when dating the knife. Tom (?) got a good and interesting knife. I'll be interested in where the m2-5 lands with its rather unique sheath. Wish we had some history on that one. Thanks again.

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-30-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:13 PM
Skilled

Some people on other venues who can't seem to figure things out on their own have questioned the ID methodology for differentiating Heiser and Johnson brown button "B" sheaths.

Given the "B" sheaths in this line, this is a good spot to publish my ideas. I've used and referenced the following for a long time but never formalized the study. Be aware that the documentation is not 100 percent, but I assure you it's 100 percent deeper and better than any done by anyone who has never offered any ideas, studies, or proof, just opinions that have been shown to be wrong more than right. The reason for a lack of definitive documentation is primarily a lack of a large database on "B" sheaths, and in an inconsistency in the predecessor Heiser-stamped "B" sheaths.

First keep in mind the time line for brown button "B" Heiser sheaths with Heiser stamp, "B" Heiser sheaths with Randall stamp, "B" Johnson brown button and baby dots are the same for "B" as for other type sheaths. Heiser stamp was used pre early 1959; Heiser-Randall stamp (HKL) was circa 1959-1963; Johnson brown button were used mid 1962 to early 1963, baby dot came in early mid-1963 and thereafter.

Regarding differentiation between Heiser and Johnson brown button "B" sheaths, both with Randall made stamp, I am 90 percent sure that the orientation of the Randall stamp is reversed. "B" sheaths are stamped on the front so Heiser oriented the Randall stamp to the east, while Johnson faced his west. As stated this is the reverse of the orientation of the stamp when placed on the back of other model sheaths. I have a logical explanation for this which lies in the construction steps but won't go through it now.

The main reason I haven't published a study is that the "B" sheaths data base is thin. AND the Heiser brown button sheaths made before 1959 with the "Heiser" stamp were not consistently stamped. Some had the " Heiser" stamp faced west, though more faced it east. However almost every Heiser made "B" sheath with a Randall stamp faced that stamp east. And all Johnson "B" sheaths, brown button or baby dot faced the stamp west when stamped on the face of the sheath.

You can check your own brown button "B" sheaths for confirmation. And I recommend collectors of vintage knives ignore comments from the peanut gallery people who have added little in the way of ideas or documentation and who apparently lack the imagination needed to put two and two together. Hope this proves helpful to those interested.

Last edited by Jacknola; 09-01-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:52 PM
Skilled

I purchased the Model 2-5" from Ian tonight. Same early 50's as my other one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160901_202947.jpg (115.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20160901_203032.jpg (132.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Skilled

Jack was also asking about the large and small stamps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160901_205905.jpg (137.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Skilled

That was a good buy Bill, I was really taken with that knife. No way to track but I would strongly suspect military background , maybe Korea if issue of tang nut can be resolved.

The stamp of your 1950s m2-5 appears the same size as the 1963-65 m8-4. Either both are large stamp or both are small. Just an observation. Dang nice pickup that m2-5.

Tags
back, bee, blade, document, handle, knife, knives, made, material, micarta, military, post, randall, scale, sheath, shop, small, spacers, stag, stag handle, supply, tang, vintage, vintage knives