MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-08-2002, 01:55 AM
William

Coote mods?

I've got a Coote 2x72 with the 8" drive wheel on the way. Are there any modifications that you can think of that may be helpfull? I don't anticipate anyproblems, I've been grinding on a modified 2x42 craftsman.

But if anybody has one or has suggestions I like to here from them.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2002, 08:28 AM
J Loose

I've got the 10" model.

I haven't found the need to make any to mine... the tracking works great, the platen is just right.

I guess some folks like to round the edge of the platen a little, but I have not.

You want to bolt the sucker down tight on something nice and solid. I do get a little sympathetic vibrations on the lowest speed, but it is presently only bolted onto a plywood table. I keep meaning to make a steel set-up just for the grinder.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:03 PM
Raymond Richard

Johnathan, I've had mine bolted to my makeshift work bench for about seven years. The motor is on a piece of plywood, I have step pullys on both the motor and the grinder. I have a C clamp to hold the the motor where I want it. Funny thing is I've had a Hardcore grinder over two years now and end up using the Coots most the time. Its a heck of a grinder for the price. About the only thing that I'm not crazy about is the platton in the same plane as the belt. You get used to it though. By what I've seen of your knives it doing a great job for you...Ray
Old 04-08-2002, 05:08 PM
J Loose

BTW,

I love the grinder... I haven't used many others and I imagine what I'd -really- like is a Bader, but I really have no complaints with my Coote, and it cost half as much, including the motor..

I was running it on a 1/2 HP and since moving up to a full HP I am much more satisfied. I used to be able to stop my machine. Not anymore!

I got my Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled (TEFC) 1 HP motor at Northern Tool and Equip for $150 including shipping on sale. It is reversible, which is nice because a ( Oops, three-dimensional brain-spaz... I meant 'clockwise,' ) turn fits behind the grinder better, taking up less space on the bench.

I don't know what you had before, William, but you'll like the Coote.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:36 PM
AlainMD

I think to buy a Coote Grinder, it's a good idea ?
I dont have many other choice in this price range (500$ and less): Coote, Grizzly (not sold in Canada), Pro Cut II (a bit more costly) and Kalamazoo. I prefer pay less for the grinder but trying to buy a variable speed motor...

I think to go with the Coote, but with which size of wheel, 8" or 10" ? So that, if I understand, each model is made for ONE size of contact wheel and is not possible to change the weel size (buy a 8" wheel model and in the futur, buy a 10" wheel ...)

Somebody have tried the "9" diameter aluminium sanding disc for the Coote Grinder and the 15/16 diameter roller for small radius sanding ? Is this a good investment ?
Old 04-09-2002, 02:32 AM
William

Thanks, sent the money and then started to wory a little. What I realy want is a Frink grinder, but don't have money for that, not for some time at least.

I have a 1 horse TEFC motor already and am planing on useing step pulleys to get some speed control. I was thinking of putting a glass hardface on the platen, but was told that there platens are 3/8" thick, so will probly were there's down for a while first.

I though of the disk atachment, but already have a disk grinder so that's not necisary. Was wondering about there small wheel atachment, but looked like a pain to change back and forth.

From everything I've heard this sounds like a great machine.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2002, 05:50 AM
Raymond Richard

William, Last year I bought a small wheel set up for my Hardcore grinder. Spent close to $400. on it and for the life of me I can't figure why I thought I had to have it. I've had it on the machine once or twice just to see how it worked mainly. I could have bought a 10" Coots grinder and had money left over, a third grinder would be more useful to me than the small wheel set up....Ray
Old 04-10-2002, 02:45 AM
William

Ray I use sanding drums and a cordless drill to do the 'birds beak' gaurd on most of my hunters, and would like to use a belt. If the small wheel was quick and easy to change I would buy it, but I have a small fractional horse power motor and am planing on building a low tech. 1/42" for just that with replaceable idler wheels for diferent radiuses. Also the only size they had was 15/16", a little large for most of my uses.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:03 AM
Raymond Richard

Before I bought the small wheel set up that I never use now I was always setting one of my drill pressess for using drum sanders. I'd stick a block of wood in the vise and us it like a table. I've got a lifetime supply of various drum sleves. Now that I've got all this stuff I've changed styles and none of it gets used or very little now. The Hardcore grinder I've got in a way reminds me alot of the old Shopsmith saw that did many other functions, only problem is the time to change things over which isn't long at all but most the time you just don't want to bother...Ray
Old 04-16-2002, 06:10 PM
William

Well, it came in today. Looks like a very solid machine. I have the 2x72 with an 8" contact wheel. I have a 1750rpm 1 horse motor already.

One thing though, where can I get machined step pulleys? Nowhere around here has them.

I wouldn't mind ordering them because I'm headed back offshore tomorow so it'll be a couple of weeks befor I can play with it anyway.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2002, 06:27 PM
Cactusforge

One thing you can do with a Coot is to make it into a combo.
small wheel & standard wheel grinder. I will post pics of my
grinder in a couple days. I cant help with pulleys but I would try to find them, at the very least get a belt fron a auto supply store thay run a lot smother. Gib
Old 04-16-2002, 06:46 PM
J Loose

You can get step pulleys from MSC, but if you don't already have the catalog it would be a pain in the butt.

Norman Coote who makes the grinders also sells the pulleys, which is where I got mine.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:59 PM
RickNJ

You migh be able to find the step pulleys at McMaster-Carr. I think the url is www.mcmaster.com
Old 04-16-2002, 07:38 PM
DC KNIVES

I found it easier to build a small wheel grinder for just that purpose.Mine is a 1"x42" with a 2" drive wheel,a 1" and a 1/2" contact wheels.Motor is a new 1/2 hp.Total price with new stuff was around $250.Dave

www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291930755

Old 04-17-2002, 12:03 PM
AlainMD

Dave:
Verry nice small grinder !
I want to make one but I search the small
contact wheels. What do yo use for your small
wheels ? (where I can buy them with bering?)

Alain

Tags
blade, knives