MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Steel Addict

I think I got a Hamon.

I made a small tanto shaped blade this afternoon out of steel from a Granite cutting saw blade. I filed it down to shape. I edge quenched it in water using an interupted quench so I didn't hear the dreaded ping, (its about #### time I didn't hear the ping quenching in water) When I was sanding the blade down to finish it I caught a hint of a difference in the edge and the body steel. I imersed the blade in Ferric Chloride for about 5 to 10 seconds and it got this really cool looking double Hamon. What I am wondering is if this is due to a layering in the steel stock I am using or did I get this really sweet Hamon with no clay. I will try to get pictures of it soon. Any ideas on the steel would be appreciated.

Tags
blade, knife