MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Steel Addict

2 brick forge torch help

I have been doing some reading and it seems some of the torches being referenced ate no longer being made. Can someone please let me know a good torch to use with a 2 brick forge?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Steel Addict

Go to Ray Rogers website and build your own bro. It'll be better than any crap torch you can buy.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Steel Addict

I use a Bernzomatic BZ8250HTKC from one of the box stores. It cost about $70. There are others that are cheaper that will probably work. I use a paint can forge.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Steel Addict

Well I use one of these until I get my oven. It works, but it works, but then I only use 1084 until I get that oven

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

Matthew 6:33 - It's how I seek to live.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboyle View Post
Go to Ray Rogers website and build your own bro. It'll be better than any crap torch you can buy.
That is exactly what i have done. Working out well too. Good advice here.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Steel Addict

Thank you all. Im just learning how to make a forge. Still not sure on the brick or can method. Im trying to get a list together of material and what works. Thank you to who posted.
Any suggestions on securing bricks or insulation?
how about furnace cement.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

QUOTE: "Any suggestions on securing bricks or insulation?"

If your local hardware store doesn't have any, you can order firebrick and refractory cement from http://www.hightemptools.com or http://www.usaknifemaker.com

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Steel Addict

Thank you. Do I use soft or hard blocks. I was thinking soft for the outer portion.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:48 PM

Personally, I'd use ceramic wool. But, if you insist on bricks, we use both types. The soft bricks are generally used wherever reshaping the brick is necessary, such as when a chamber is formed for a one-brick forge. The hard bricks get used for 'doors' at the front and rear or for support under a forge.

When you say 'outer portion' you give me the willies because it makes me think you're building some largish framework of hard bricks with more soft bricks on the inside. But then, you mentioned using a torch for a heat source. If all that brick was what you have in mind you'll probably never get it hot with a regular torch. The more mass you have the more heat you need, the more time it takes, the more fuel is required. Some forges are built that way but you need a real forge burner to heat them.

If you plan to use a torch then one or two soft bricks is all the brick you want for a forge body. But again, a small can lined with wool is likely to be a better deal all around and, if its small enough, you can still use the torch (although you would be much better off building a simple burner) ....

Old 06-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Steel Addict

Understood. Thank you. Suggestions on making a burner? I see usaknife has some parts that they sell for commercial forges. I would appreciate suggestions.

Im sorry about my previous post. Im looking to build small one or two brick forage or can forge. I am not sure what burner or totch to use for these applications. I see some suggestions and looking for ones that are used. Perhaps someone could post a photo of your setup with the torch or burner set up.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by remist17 View Post
Understood. Thank you. Suggestions on making a burner? I see usaknife has some parts that they sell for commercial forges. I would appreciate suggestions.

Im sorry about my previous post. Im looking to build small one or two brick forage or can forge. I am not sure what burner or totch to use for these applications. I see some suggestions and looking for ones that are used. Perhaps someone could post a photo of your setup with the torch or burner set up.

Thanks
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=63662

I have just gone through this exact process mate. Check out the thread.

Cheers

Old 06-14-2014, 07:21 PM

usaknife has burners and also burners packaged with regulators. The burner and regulator for $50 has got to be one of the best deals around. That's about the price of a decent torch and far more useful in a forge. That burner and regulator plus some wool and maybe a couple of thin fire bricks and about all you would need is a can to complete your forge....

Or, if you can wait maybe another two/three weeks, I am finishing up a video that shows exactly how this type of forge AND the burners can be built for very little money and without welding or machining ...

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 06-14-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:44 PM
Skilled

I have to side with everybody else. When I decided to build my forge I made the right decision and built it with items that were meant to be used for a forge, and avoided the making do with ready made hardware store items to make a forge philosophy. Because like everything else in knife making, when you settle for less when making a forge or a cheap grinder, you will very quickly want to "upgrade" to what you should have done or bought in the first place. Just my 2 cents, but in the long run it will actually save you money. Good luck.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 06-15-2014, 05:45 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
usaknife has burners and also burners packaged with regulators. The burner and regulator for $50 has got to be one of the best deals around. That's about the price of a decent torch and far more useful in a forge. That burner and regulator plus some wool and maybe a couple of thin fire bricks and about all you would need is a can to complete your forge....

Or, if you can wait maybe another two/three weeks, I am finishing up a video that shows exactly how this type of forge AND the burners can be built for very little money and without welding or machining ...
Great no problem. Again I wanted to do it right. Please leg me know when you post it up!. Ill look at the products you mentioned also.

I may just bite the bullet and buy the atlas forge. I need to look into shipping cost.
Thanks Tim

Last edited by remist17; 06-15-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
QUOTE: "Any suggestions on securing bricks or insulation?"

If your local hardware store doesn't have any, you can order firebrick and refractory cement from http://www.hightemptools.com or http://www.usaknifemaker.com

Man, I wish I'd found those links before I ordered my bricks. Ordered 4 soft and 6 hard (So I could lay the hard ones down under the soft and insulate the surface the forge sat on.

$42 for the bricks, 50 for the shipping. Oy.

Lesson learned.

Tags
1084, advice, apply, bee, build, building, fire, firebrick, forge, hardware, heat, hot, how to, knife, knife making, made, make, making, material, paint, post, simple, store, supplies