MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Steel Addict

Stabilizing Wood

I have a question. I recently made a wood stabilizing chamber to stabilize scales. I have been trying to find Minwax Wood Hardner but the stores around where I live do not carry it. An suggestions of what I can use to stabilize wood? Any help is very much appreciated.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Try the Search feature for this forum. That question gets discussed a lot and many solutions have been suggested.

But, understand that anything you can buy in a local store like Min-Wax does not stabilize wood in the sense that term is applied to commercial wood products used for knife handles. Products like that are wood treatments only - they help protect the wood a little bit but in no way are the equivalent of a commercial stabilization process.

There are products available that do give results similar to a commercial process. They are more expensive that the treatment products but they work much better if you can do the process. For 95% of us, you will likely find that using those products gives you a good result that compares to the commercial processes but the actual cost in time and money is more than if you just sent your wood out. Personally, I'd rather use the time and money to make more knives ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Skilled

http://www.turntex.com/index.php?opt...art&Itemid=121
Old 11-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to boatbuilder
I use 95-1000aa. It's a Godfrey Wing product.
Jim
Old 11-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Steel Addict

I use Miwax wood hardener coupled to a brake bleeder pump and a mason jar. Not as good as professional by far, but my knives aren't either........yet. A few more and I'll be on my way to the first sale!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevster View Post
That is a VERY good source for stabilizing info - and I do think his process will work just fine. I've not used it myself, but know another guy who has. The vacuum chamber video shows just have the liquid is pulled into the pores of the wood.

Ken H>
Old 11-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoy View Post
I have a question. I recently made a wood stabilizing chamber to stabilize scales. I have been trying to find Minwax Wood Hardner but the stores around where I live do not carry it. An suggestions of what I can use to stabilize wood? Any help is very much appreciated.
I will tell you that Ace Hardware does have it. Everyone I have been in has a few cans in stock.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

Turntex.com as mentioned before. I have used the cactus juice several times it's easy to use and does a great job. I use a vacuum pump on a mason jar with a fitting epoxied in the lid. Works great.

I like using Turntex cause he is a smaller business and I got a had written thank you note with my purchase. It's the little things like that that will cause me to purchase from him again.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Steel Addict

Just fyi, I used the turntex product and stablized a couple of different woods. I stabilize bocote and jacoobillo. The product worked as described on the website My chamber and moter worked great. When I shaped the wood for the knife handles I could smell the cactus juice throughout the wood. The product did a great job and was very easy to use. Thanks for all your feedback. We no longer have any Ace hardwares any where near where I live. fyi
Old 11-24-2013, 02:51 AM
Steel Addict

I use a product Cactus Juice. Very easy to use and gives great penetration. The weight difference after the stabilization is amazing. This stuff works great. ...Teddy
Old 12-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast

ZK-TR90 stabilizing resin !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
bee, easy, hardware, knife, knives, made, make, products, resin, scales, solutions, stabilization, stabilizing, store, video, wax, wood, woods