MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

Smile REALLY Newbie questions

New guy here, and I plan to start small, putting handles on or kits together. I do make my own gun grips, of the simpler kind.

I am setting up my basement shop, and am wondering just how handy a small bench vise would be?

I am thinking Panavise, or something similar, small and portable, because my space is limited. Plan to mount it on a piece of plywood, and clamp it to the bench as needed. Orrr...if it is nice, clamp it to a table outside. Is the Panavise sturdy enough?

Is a drill press a necessary tool, or can a hand held drill do a satisfactory job?

My basic tools are: Table jig saw, Dremels with assorted wheels, etc., rasp, needle files, hand drill, sanding blocks, Xacto knife, Sure Form tool, an orbital finishng sander and a desire to do this.

I plan to add: Microplane rasps and drum, sanding drum, if I ever get a drill press, and one day, a belt/disc sander. I like the 2" X 42" siz with 6" disc.

What do you guys think? Suggestions? Thanks, all.

Last edited by humminboid; 08-16-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

For the kits you mention a hand drill could work if you have a steady hand and are a good judge of angles. You'll really want a drill press some day though/

I have a Panavise and it is plenty sturdy enough for many jobs. I also have about 12 other vises of various sizes and configurations. Start with the Panavise and add others if and when you decide you need them.

A 1x42 is a useful tool for a knife maker and many of us have them. For kits, it's probably all you'll need. When the time comes to make your own blades you'll probably need to get serious about a 2x72" ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Guru

You'll want to get a small drill press, these only run $40 or so from harbor freight and will work way better than a hand-held drill. Also, I would get a regular bench vise over a Panavise, even it's it's just a little one with the screw clamp. You can replace the steel jaws with brass to avoid marring surfaces.

Since you already have experience with handles, you probably know what basics you need to put handles on kit knives. I'd recommend some sort of belt sander/grinder for your handles as it speeds things up.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 08-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Hall of Famer

My only recomendation would be to buy the book."$50.00 knife shop".Alot of simple things you don't think about.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:46 AM
Skilled

A drill press is the most valuabl tool in my shop. I mounted a milling table on mine and have used it for a wood lathe and have mounted grinding wheels of all sorts on an arbor and have made sanding wheels. I still dont have a good 2 by 72 belt grinder. Just a home made belt sander made out of two bench sandersso I can use 2 by 72 belts. But a drill press is a must.

Tags
knife, knives