MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 01-17-2003, 08:49 AM

kit recommendation request

I have been making full tangs for a couple of years now and would like to try making a nice little folder. I figure I should start with a kit before I try making one from scratch. Any recommendation for an inexpansive small folder kit just to learn on.
Thanks
Steve
Old 01-17-2003, 09:57 AM

Hey Steve-

Glad to see you over here...join the party!

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend the DDR II kit folder from Classic Knifekits over at knifekits.com (it's also known as the 605 Mini from Koval). Many of us began with this great little knife....many kits later it's still one of my favorites.

You can buy it with anyone of a number of different pre-drilled, roughed out scales, or you can buy the kit only and make your own from scratch (given your amount of knifemaking experience you may prefer the latter).

You'll have the mechanics of the folder figured out and put together inside of 15 minutes...the rest could take days and days depending on how complex you choose to make it...(I've got a GX6 sitting nearby on my bench that's already got 30+ hours in it between planning and execution...and I doubt I'll be finished for yet another couple of weeks ).

Have fun...I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with these...

Warning: Once you make one of these folders it may be a long time before you revisit fixed blades...these are highly addictive...besides, try pulling a fixed blade out of your pocket and saying "Look what I just made!"

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

PS. The knifekits.com URL:
http://www.knifekits.com/kk_1mainframe.htm
Old 01-19-2003, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast

Steve, what Dennis said.

However, don't order just one, its a waste of time. Make sure you order enough to keep busy for a while. Also the dudes at Canada Customs are going to open the package and charge you duty and tax and all that sh--, so order a few to make it worth all the extra money. I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, I'm just saying that you will be dissappointed if you don't have another kit to do when this one is complete.
The first time I ordered a DDR1 & 2. The second time I ordered 13DDR2's and 7 DDR1's. Get the picture???
TTYL, Jeff
Old 01-19-2003, 06:39 PM

I can't see the budget stretching that far. I am hoping to pick one up at the Novi show next weekend adn thereby avoid the shipping etc. crap. Sounds like everyone agrees on the best kit though.
Thanks
Steve

Tags
knives