MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Enthusiast

knife tips

Hello everyone, I am kind of new to the craft. I've made and even sold a few knives but I seem to have a problem with keeping the tip from burning off. I've used 440C as well as HR1095 I'm using a belt grinder its a 1"x 42" and for my initial stock removal I'm using a 40 grit belt. Then an 80 grit, after this I switch over to a trizact belt. I use an A100, 65, 15 in sequence.
I'm needing any advise. I kinda think I'm just trying to get it done to fast, but not sure.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 AM
Steel Addict

Actually you're not try to get done fast enough! Most smaller grinders are notoriously fast. You gotta be quick at the tip. Be very cautious when you're at the end of a grind. Dip your blade often. Orrrr go buy a variable speed KMG
Old 07-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboyle View Post
Actually you're not try to get done fast enough! Most smaller grinders are notoriously fast. You gotta be quick at the tip. Be very cautious when you're at the end of a grind. Dip your blade often. Orrrr go buy a variable speed KMG
Oh ok. Didn't even think about dipping. Guess I haven't read enough. Dip in what, water or oil??

Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Steel Addict

I think Naboyle hit it on the tip (pun intended), most if not all grinders/sanders that are dedicated to wood working move at a pretty fast clip. For our endeavors anything over 3000 SFPM is way to fast if you ask me. I normally run my grinder around 1800 SFPM which is just about right, and I have to try really to over heat stuff. On top of that I've been making straight razors which are VERY thin and cannot be overheated and can get a couple passes without burning myself.

Edit for your post above: I keep a gallon jug with the top cut off full of water I dip in a pass or two... must have

Last edited by WynnKnives; 07-24-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Steel Addict

I use soapy water for my cooling when I'm grinding my blades. You don't need the soap, but I like it.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Steel Addict

I use water, dawn soap and jet dry. Works really good, it tips the odds in your favor
Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynnKnives View Post
I think Naboyle hit it on the tip (pun intended), most if not all grinders/sanders that are dedicated to wood working move at a pretty fast clip. For our endeavors anything over 3000 SFPM is way to fast if you ask me. I normally run my grinder around 1800 SFPM which is just about right, and I have to try really to over heat stuff. On top of that I've been making straight razors which are VERY thin and cannot be overheated and can get a couple passes without burning myself.

Edit for your post above: I keep a gallon jug with the top cut off full of water I dip in a pass or two... must have
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakethings View Post
I use soapy water for my cooling when I'm grinding my blades. You don't need the soap, but I like it.
Ok that's a big help. Unfortunately i cant afford a good grinder right now, the one I have I bought from a pawn shop at a great price. It probably does run way to fast but its all I got for now.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Steel Addict

Once you get a little more into it the first thing I would drop money on would be a grinder. Once I got a good one it made knife making a whole lot easier. I just went the no welds grinder route and am very happy for the money I put into it, and it saved me well over $1000.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Steel Addict

I have found that trizact belts don't like water dry the blade before going back to the grinder
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynnKnives View Post
Once you get a little more into it the first thing I would drop money on would be a grinder. Once I got a good one it made knife making a whole lot easier. I just went the no welds grinder route and am very happy for the money I put into it, and it saved me well over $1000.
I plan on getting a good grinder the first of the year, Lord willing. Got to get past all the doctor bills first, Surgery on Friday also. Pretty sure that's gonna keep me down for a couple of months

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
I have found that trizact belts don't like water dry the blade before going back to the grinder
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. was working on a couple of blades earlier today and the dipping seemed to help a bunch. Haven't got into the trizact belts on these two yet, but going to try to finish up before Friday.

I

Old 07-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

EVERYBODY has trouble with the tips at some point or another. (No pun intended.)

Old 07-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Steel Addict

Well, depending on the type of grinder you might be able to get away with tying in a dimmer to the circuit. I doubt it will work well though.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakethings View Post
Well, depending on the type of grinder you might be able to get away with tying in a dimmer to the circuit. I doubt it will work well though.
A dimmer will burn out your motor in no time unless it's a DC motor. If your grinder is belt driven you could try to step it down. Pulleys are pretty cheap. Other than that, dip, dip, dip. A good rule of thumb: keep your blade wet when you grind and watch the water droplets. When you see them start to steam, it's time to dip again!
Good luck!

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 AM

These are all excellent tips, and the only thing I would add is that most of us are guilty of using each belt way past it's effective usefulness. I am always hard pressed to have fresh sharp belts on hand for my new blades. I keep the worn ones around for my sharpening services(shame on me I know), but starting out with good sharp belts will keep you from always applying more pressure to get the job done, which is usually what causes the problem to begin with. Wes
Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast

All great advise, and yes I HATE changing belts, its like money going out the door. So mark me guilty as charged

Tags
440c, art, back, bee, blade, blades, dip, grinding, hand, heat, help., knife, knife making, knives, made, making, post, problem, sharp, sharpening, stock removal, tips, wood