MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-27-2001, 10:13 AM
Ned Fig

Knife kits

I see the kits that are in the catalogs and had a few questions. Are all the blades treated and tempered? All you do is assemble them and they are ready to go? I suppose it would be a good way for a beginner like myself to get familiar with the process. Is there any thing else I should know before I try one?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2001, 10:31 AM
RNickl

Look at Texas Knifemaker Supply, you can get blades hardened or anneled if you want to do some additional work. They also sell some in kits that come with all you'll need (blade, handle slabs, pins and glue), they even sell sheths for some of the blades they make.

Rick
Old 12-27-2001, 11:35 AM
Bill Foote

I started with Texas Knifemaker kits before getting a Bader and grinding my own. Most of their kit knives are 440C steel, mirror or satin finish, fully heat treated and have an optional cryo treatment I would reccommend spending the extra few bucks for. Word of caution, they come with a very sharp edge-you'll want to put a few layers of masking tape on the blade to protect you AND the blade from being scratched during handling. Try the blue masking tape, it's not as hard to peel off. One other word of caution, if you start this you won't be able to stop. Have fun and be safe!
Bill
Old 12-27-2001, 01:37 PM
Kevin Miller

Hey!

Check this out - click here
Old 12-27-2001, 09:00 PM
CKDadmin

Re: Hey!

Kevin ... that's great info!

We have a new forum in the works that will be devoted to the topic of training and supporting new makers through the use of kits to help them develop their basic construction skills. In my opinion, and based on the kit sales we see through our clients sites, there is a real need to develop this area of our industry. With the quality of some of the newer kits, the options available and the technique needed to put it all together into a quality finished piece, this should be fun. Plus, our newbies forum can be a bit advanced at times for some folks who are not that familiar with the processes involved. This new area will work in conjunction with a major project that we're fixing to launch January 1st.

Keep your eye peeled ... you'll love this!

Alex
Old 12-28-2001, 09:34 AM
winstonknives

Re: Kit Knives

Over the years there have been several articles in the knife magazines concerning the making of kit knives. This seems to be a good way to learn some of the basics of knifemaking. However, the temptation at some point to start putting one's name on the blade and pass it off as handmade, is more than some can stand. I would like to hear some opinions on this from an ethical standpoint. I go to quite a few gun shows and knife shows and see this often. A lot of times it is very obvious that these knives were assembled from kits. It is also quite hard to compete with these. The vast majority of knife buyers have no idea that a "knife kit" exists, but they know low prices from high prices. Am I alone in thinking this is not right?
Old 12-28-2001, 10:40 AM
CKDadmin

Re: Kit Knives

David,

Good point.

I wonder ...
Is the issue about putting your name on the blade, or whether it's passed off as a custom?

I quess the point I'm wondering about is whether the name on the blade is just a sign of the company or person who did the work building it, or whether it is reserved to denote who created the main parts and/or the initial design pattern.

That would seem to open up a whole range of questions ...

Alex
Old 12-28-2001, 11:36 AM
JohnM

Marking kit knives

This is a tough one. When I first started, I bought blades, which I think qualify as kits, from Bob Engnath and Ed Mortenson. These blades were rough ground by the makers and heat treated by Paul Bos. I was unsure of the protocol and asked Ed and Bob both whether I should mark the knives. Both stated that I should. I made a point of telling customers who had ground the knives and whether they were Ed's, Bob's or my designs, since I had Bob grind a few custom blades for me before I began making my own. So, there are 25 - 30 knives out there with my mark, which were ground by other makers. I went with the opinion of two makers who I respect and who gave me my initial support in knife making.

JohnM
Old 12-28-2001, 12:22 PM
winstonknives

Re: Marking kit knives

John, I think you have the answer. As long as the customer knows the facts. Surely Bob Engnath's blades would take a back seat to no one. Also there are other quality blades out there. There are also some that are not real high quality. I guess what I am getting at is grinding blades is where most of the sweat is. It is hard to sit behind your table with people coming by and saying "that guy two aisles over is really kicking your butt. His knives are only $75.00" Also, it is not just about price and selling. The vast majority of makers are honorable men. I feel the customer should know.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:24 PM
Don Cowles

I think the key here is being honest with the customer about who did what. Nothing wrong with putting your mark on a knife that you finished, but you should be willing, without having to be asked, to volunteer the information on where the blade came from.

I did a handful of knives like this, and did indeed put my mark on them. Only blades that I have ground myself, however, have the words, "Don Cowles - maker."
Old 12-28-2001, 01:05 PM
MJHKNIVES

David, someone who is putting kit knives together and passing the results off as handmade is unethical IMO. Like another said, make and sell kit knives if you want, just make sure to tell the customer the whole truth about the knives orgins.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:01 AM
Roger Gregory

As has already been said in this thread (but bears repetition), this is all about honesty.

There is room for everyone from the man who assembles a knife from its constituent parts to a man who insists on sole authorship. Everyone has their own opinions on which method is more appropriate and I think there's room for all those opinions - as long as everyone agrees with me of course

I see kit knives sold on ebay all the time, there's one maker in particular who is proud of who makes the blades for him and gives full credit. If only everyone else was that honest....

I like making knives from other people's blades, it's a great opportunity to work with different handle materials on something which is straight and even, unlike my blades :

Roger
Old 12-29-2001, 09:24 AM
Cactusforge

Honesty is the best policy to follow and this applies to parts of folders made off shore and assembled in this country and past off as hand made. yust my 2 cents Gib
Old 12-30-2001, 03:06 AM
Mike

I was just sitting on the side lines, and would like to add my too cents if I may. I have only made 3 knives so far, and all have been from kits. The first two are very much in kit form. The third one has more individuality, I bought the blade from Texas Knifemaker Supply, but I made the guard and the pommel, and also added black and nickle silver spacers. I'm very proud of the knives I've made, specially the third one. In the third knife I tried to express myself. When I show them to people I tell them that I purchased the blades. As some of you have already mentioned, its all about honesty. As to whether a person should put their mark on a kit knife, I would say no. But at the same time I think that it is great that there are kit knives and premade blades out there, because it really helps new guys like me to get a start at making knives until we can develope our skills to the point that we are ready to tackle making blades. I ordered 36" of ATS34 from Admiral Steel a couple of day ago, so my 4th knife will truely be mine, and yes, I will put my mark on it.
I would like to thank you all for a truly great forum it has really helped me!!
Mike
Old 12-30-2001, 09:08 AM
winstonknives

Mike, glad to see you getting started. Few people grind a perfect blade the first time out. I am still looking for mine and it has been 28 years. Feel free to ask questions here or email me. I will be glad to help if I can. Asking questions may be one of the most important things about this craft.

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives