MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Last two for awhile....

Just finished these two, both were forged from 1" 1084 bar stock. The spiked hawk head is 9" plus. The belt ax has a 6" head and is on a 16" stick.

Old 04-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Guru

You make really smooth looking hawks Ray.

KempKnives.com
Old 04-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Skilled

That belt axe really pushes my button. Well done Ray, once again. I'm getting ready to start up a fire and may just have to take some time trying my hand at one of those. I've got some 1" 0-1 round stock that would be about right for a hawk. I've never had much luck at punching a hole for an eye so I'll probably take Tai's advice and just drill it out once I've found the center and then work it open with my homemade drift. Spike or axe? Axe or spike? I can't decide I can't decide! I'll let the hammer tell me.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Max, Sure hope I don't have to go to Arkansas to train you. I drill a seriers of holes in line first. You may have to make the round bar square first which is the main reason I started using square but since you got the tredel shouldn't be much for you to do. I did a new twist yesterday, made me a hammer out of
1 3/4" 60 grade rebar yesterday. That about did me in but it turned out and I'll road test it today. This is about as cheep as a person can get. Started out wanting to make a Hofi hammer but ended up with a Richard.......

Old 04-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Skilled

That ain't what I call cheap Ray. It's why we do what we do. Why buy it when you can make a better one? Looks like I'll have to put off my forging for a while. A big thunderstorm just moved in a while ago and it looks like we're going to take a pounding. There's a leak right over my head in the smithy when it's raining. I never think about fixing it until it's raining. He he. Glad I got my garden in yesterday. This rain will be like magic grow juice to it.

Tags
forging, knives