MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast

Bolsters on or off?

I recently attended the GRS engraving school with Rick Eaton. It was a wonderful learning experience for a person who can't draw a straight line WITH a ruler. I've spent the last 30+ days practicing and trying to develop a design for a locking liner type folder. I'm not sure but it seems to me that coming up with a good design is the most difficult part of the process. I do have what I think is a workable design. In fact, I made 2 sets of sample bolsters and have engraved 3 different pattern outlines. Its very difficult for me to draw leaves and scroll that doesn't look like a 3rd grader drew them. They also look considerably different on metal than on vellum.

If you have the option of taking a folding knife apart, is it better to engrave the bolsters on the knife or engrave them off the knife? I probably a take knife apart 50 times while I'm making it. Disassembling it one more time is relatively easy. I also have the GRS knife vise so I can approach it either way. It would seem that working with the bolster separately would be easier but I listen to experience.

Thanks

Russ
www.suttoncustomknives.com
Old 10-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Master

If I hav ethe option I always screw the bolsters off and either glue or screw them to a plate. Then I can clamp on the plate without putting any presure on the bolsters themselves.

ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 10-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Russ and I were classmates at GRS- Russ, it's great to see yo posting here! Welcome aboard!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Tags
folding knife, knife