MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 11-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Master

A new one for me

This knife came about as an odd compulsion 0] . I got this image of it stuck in my head so hard my very thoughts were constipated. I had to make it to be free to move on to other things.

~6 inch blade of roller chain damascus suspected to be from a 350 chevy, sterling silver furniture, antler handle. This is also my first blade done with a grinder, a KMG I picked up at Bowie's hammer-in last month.

Thanks for looking!
-Alan

Old 11-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Skilled

Good looking knife !
Old 11-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Alan!

That looks really nice. I like the ferrule/guard. Very nice, indeed!
Old 11-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Guru

Alan, Cool Knife. Glad to see that Chain Damascus. Ive got a lot of Roller chain just waiting for me to do something with it.

Thanks for sharing

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 11-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Master

Thanks, guys! Glad you like it.

Howdy right back, Jason! And thanks!

Shane, thank you. I've been diggin' on your bird-and-trout series, really nice. The roller chain on this was timing chain, the kind with a one-inch link of six bars about 1/32" apart pinned to a one-inch link of seven bars ditto. The pins are definitely some kind of high-nickle steel, as you can tell by the blobs they left. I doubled it once and folded it once. If I'd had another to add the pattern would have gotten really wild. As it is, the nickle-y blobs one one side don't match the placement of those on the other, which is kinda cool. Maybe two of these doubled and folded, welded, then twisted and squared. I'll have to try that next time I have some and am feeling masochistic. It's all done in the coal forge with hand hammers, but would be insanely easy with a press.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Master

Wow Alan, I'm impressed. I see a hint of ol' Sam Bell to the blade. I dont see a pin though. Is there a nut on the tang end under that cap? What ever happened to the power hammer you were gathering stock for?

Old 11-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Living Legend

I like it ! The blade composition gives it a very nice rustic look. The ferrule is a nice touch. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 11-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Master

Howdy, Richard! Yep, the blade shape and one-sided false edge was ripped straight off of old Sam. He was also the inspiration for the use of silver. After I found out how much I like to play with it, I'm never going back to nickle silver again! At least in thin sheet, anyway. Don't want to think about the cost of 3/8" thick sterling!

There's no pin or nut, but there is a sort of blind rivet thingy under the end cap. And lots of JB weld! If I had some cutler's resin I'd have used it, but as it was I had to go modern.

Jason Cutter, thanks. I generally work in the realm of the butt-ugly, so "rustic" is quite a compliment, especially since that's what I was aiming for. I'm not really a knifemaker as such, I mostly do tomahawks. Close, but a whole different set of skills. This is knife #6, while I'm on hawk #40-something.

Tags
blade, forge, knife