MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Thumbs up The Grind Line KITH !

I think we are about ready for the next Newbies KITH. The main purpose of these KITHs is to help the newest guys learn a particular skill that we need as knife makers. Last time, that was the very important skill of heat treating your blades. This time, the skill will be creating clean, sharp grind lines.

Most of the first knives we make are full flat grinds because those are easiest to make and because a full flat grind makes for a blade that slices very well. But, sometimes for various reasons we may want to make what is generally called a saber grind. That is a grind that stops before it reaches the spine of the blade. Such blades are usually stronger and more rigid than full flat grinds and sometimes we do them just because we like the way they look on a particular blade design.

So, here's the deal: this KITH is for a 4" saber ground blade. The ground part can be flat ground if you prefer or it can be hollow ground if you have the equipment. That means this blade can easily be made with files and sandpaper, or with your crappy Sears grinder, or with your fancy KMG. The requirement is that the grind lines need to be sharp and clean, well defined, as as identical from side to side of the blade as you can make them. For many of you, this will be your first attempt at this kind of grind but don't let that scare you off. It's OK for things to be less than perfect. Try this, and I can pretty well guarantee that you will learn something useful to your knife making future.

The 4" blade can be any style you like, any thickness but preferably 1084 steel because that's the one we're pretty sure you can harden correctly. The blade must be completely finished because keeping the grind lines clean until the blade is finished is really the hard part. I suggest you do a satin (basically hand sanded) finish and don't try to mirror polish because that's REALLY hard on grind lines.

If your knife needs a sheath you should try to provide one for it.

When we're done, the participants will vote on the results just like last time and we will swap these knives same as last time. In addition, each and every entrant will receive a free prize!

I searched my junk pile.......uh, I mean, I looked high and low for interesting prizes and came up with these:

The entrants can have his/her choice of any item in the pile (I'm not eligible). Selection of the prize will be done in sequence according to how all of the entrants judge the entries, just like last time. I've started the pile with a Springbok horn and a piece of stabilized Sambar Stag. I'll add additional prizes as each new entry is submitted. If you don't want a natural product, I can substitute a block of Dymondwood. Keep in mind though, the prize isn't the valuable part of this - what you will learn is worth far more. Please give it a try!

The KITH will run until Thanksgiving. That's plenty of time to make several of the blades until you get one you like. The only requirement to enter is that you need to have participated in the heat treat KITH so that we know your HT actually works. That KITH is always open so if you haven't done it yet there is still plenty of time to do both. Just look in the HT KITH thread, make the blade as specified and send it to me, that's all there is to it.

Of course, this thread will be here to handle any questions you have about how to accomplish this grind. And, don't forget, the Chat Room on Sunday evenings is also a good way to cover these kinds of questions.

So, get busy and grind something!!

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 09-10-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Steel Addict

Can I enter this KITH even though my heat treat is still crap ?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:08 PM

Yes, Eric, but you should also finish with your HT KITH blade and send that to me too. This is about the grind and doesn't even need to be a complete knife but I still don't want anyone to fall behind so keep working on your HT KITH blade and try to get it in with this one or even before this one. And remember also that even though this is only a blade it is also a fully heat treated and finished blade. That's important, no soft steel, only real finished blades.

I just found this old blade buried on my work bench. This is pretty much exactly what everyone should be making for this KITH although yours could be full tang or have a different blade shapeif you wish:

Old 09-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Steel Addict

O.K. Sounds good ,Ray Ill be sending an "improved heat treat" blade to you soon .Im pretty sure I can get it right this time .
Old 09-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Skilled

I'm gonna try this one without the jig too Ray

Austin

Old 09-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Skilled

Maybe these should be called newbie challenges

Austin

Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 PM

That's the best way to learn. Remember, this is a simple, small blade so you can profile it and then grind it in less than an hour (with practice and a grinder). That means you can do it as many times as it takes to get it right by Thanksgiving....

Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Steel Addict

Drat, I've been wanting to snag a chunk of springbok horn for an idea I have.
Too late for me to join though, missed out on the first one, unless you want me to bang one out that catches HT and fancy grinding?

I've never done full flat grinds, it's always been sabre grinds, I've just never liked the look on the full flats.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Skilled

Great idea by the way. I just hope a lot of people don't feel intimidated and not enter. I want that stag, but you probably already knew that.

Austin

Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 AM

Marc,

To be fair to the others, yes, you should make that simple knife I designed for the HT thread. Don't even bother to put a handle on it or finish it beyond 220 grit. You should sharpen it though. Then do this little project. Altogether, it shouldn't take more than a half day or so of your time.

Austin,

Yes, I know. Try real hard, there might even be a runner up prize ...

Old 09-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Skilled

Well today is my birthday(28) so you can go ahead and send me that stag or some other junk.

Austin

Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 AM

Sorry, you're gonna have to work for it. Happy Birthday though ....

Old 09-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Austin ,
Nice grind lines !
Old 09-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Skilled

What do you mean?

Austin

Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Steel Addict

I wasnt trying to sound sarcastic .I just looked at your knives .They look good .

Tags
blades, block, design, files, flat, forge, hand, handle, harden, heat, horn, how to, knife, knife making, knives, made, making, mirror, newest, polish, saber grind, sharp, stag, steel, tang