MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Master

To be fair, I've only seen him on a few episodes of that survival show with Cody, who lives in my town btw. The episode in the northwestern rainforest really did it for me. First, he called a take down recurve bow a "longbow." Eh, I could forgive that. But then when looking for glue for his arrowhead, he said almost exactly this "see this here SPRUCE tree, I'm going to go ahead and get some PINE sap from it." Really?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Hall of Famer

He's done much, much worse, some negligent and downright dangerous.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Enthusiast

So I made some calls on my lunch for the local steel places. One company said they had a never heard of 1084, until I added carbon steel behind. No one has it locally. Interesting. I checked Jantz, Texas Knife Supply and USA Knife Maker. Texas Knife has it in 1/8" and my width but is 1080. Knife Maker has 1080. Much different?

How many should I make? I was planning on just one if I didn't mess it up. Since I have to ship it would it make sense to get a bigger piece so I can have extra?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Hall of Famer

You won't see much of a difference between 1080 and 1084. Since you are planning to do stock removal, I suggest paying a little more and getting precision ground if you can find it. It should come flat with mill scale removed.

Are you planning to make just one knife? Or are you testing the waters to see if you want to do this as a hobby? If the latter, then get what you can afford (you're paying the shipping, after all). 2-3 bars at 48" will make quite a few knives.

Try calling Aldo Bruno, the New Jersey Steel Baron. He'll fix you up.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 AM

New on here

I made this for a cousin ,grandson in Scotland he's a cub-scout
I had his Name engraved for him ,Scales are corian blade O1

I would like to hear your thoughts please
Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Hall of Famer

My thoughts are that it's a decent looking knife, but it would have been more appropriate to start a new thread instead of breaking into the discussion at hand.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast

Well I went over to the parents for a visit. I took the drawing over. I told my dad and brother this was my next project. Explained the process. Dad has a acetylene torch I think might be better suited for the task. The kiln might be a faded memory given the lack of interest of the said buddy to get more details from his step mom whom lives 7 mins away. But wants to make something up too. My little brother who lives at home is a very good wood worker. He placed in a state competition for his rendtion of a electric guitar he made by hand that he inlayed with Purple Heart. He is in the process of making another electric guitar with the neck made out of wenge. He said its rough to cut and was tearing up his blades to much to pursue using it. He said I can have what ever I need if I want to use it for a handle. He said good luck though and told me I better make him one to if I use it. I'm not rich but I have pennies saved for these projects. It's beer money not spent on beer. So make a couple of blanks isn't a big deal I just was questioning my success rate on the first go with all of aspirations in a single blank? Hard question to answer. If I get a useable knife this wont be the last one. Just something to do that keeps me busy at the end of the day. Something for bartering too.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Master

He worked with purple heart no problem but then complains with wenge? Something is wrong there. Purple heart is the devil
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Enthusiast

If I was a gambling man the tools he used in high school were either the schools or my dads lol. He has his own stuff now. He says its rough on blades and tools.

What's your thoughts as a material for a handle.

I am hoping to order steel next week. I am painting tomorrow soooo I can put that behind me.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:39 AM

While I wouldn't pass on the wenge, I agree that the "Purple Asassin" is tougher on equipment not to mention quite toxic dust wise. Wenge has always behaved quite well for me.

Don't forget to study up on edge geometry. HTng is extremely important to get right, but a blade will not cut properly if not shaped properly. Do as Gary suggested and test - test - test, so you know you have it right.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Master

I haven't put it on and of my handles, but looking at the specs its a little light compared to some of my other favorites. I would be worried about it shrinking or expanding
Old 03-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Ram,

It is very, very easy to overheat your blade with an acetylene torch. You can use it but you must be very cautious and careful not to damage the blade.

As for barter, that's not too far off what a KITH is. Join us in the chat room on Sunday, we'll be discussing the next KITH ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast

Ray,

After two pages of water cooler talk I think I have a much better plan. Your definitely right on the over heating. I think I am going to be better off with making a single brick forge. I am traveling for training a couple of towns over so I will more than likely order the steel tomorrow. Call some local ceramic supply companies on the lunch if I get one. Wrap it in some wire and such.

Also I seen some blanks that people peppered with holes. Outside pins is it for the epoxy to grip?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Hall of Famer

The extra holes lighten the tang, that way the knife isn't too handle-heavy. Many like to see the balance point of a finished knife at the index finger, or maybe a little forward, depending on the knife and its intended purpose.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Skilled

From what I have seen, people new to making knives are nervous to put steel on grinder, so they delay by drilling a thousand holes, chamfer each one, maybe polish the insides... and then finally get around to making a knife. lol

only slightly kidding.

The holes can be one or two extra holes to help the epoxy bond, to more holes for weight reduction.

Tags
1095, art, bee, blade, coat, design, forge, handle, home, hunting, kitchen knife, knife, lawn mower, made, make, making, material, newbie, project, rail road spike, simple, stock removal, video, what kind, wrap