MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Steel Addict

well I happen to run accross one of these
http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?cID=28&PID=428

and well I I have a few 220 motors that are 1 hp so I'm pretty sure this will work for a variable drive
so screw the pulleys ..LOl

anyway I have the Steel that I needed to buy on order.

My order to Sunray is stalled for the moment because the dimensions on a wheel I gave them were off.

Other than that I just want to make sure that the VFD i get is a good one. So I'm doing a little research. Anyone got any suggestions I'm open to them.

Alrighty thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

That link goes to a phase converter which would be part of a VFD system. You said you had some 220v motors but you didn't mention if they were single phase or 3 phase. Only 3 phase motors will work for a VFD set up.

Rob Frink is the only source I know for VFD systems that I could be sure would be good ones but they are out of your budget. eBay or Surplus City would probably be sources but as with anything from those sources it's a crap shoot ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast

The VFD link you posted is for 3 phase output. If you use this one, you will need a 3 phase 220 volt motor. I really believe it would be cheaper, easier and better off to go with 90 volt DC
Old 02-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Steel Addict

Yes it is a know it was a 3 phase. The motors I have are 3 phase.

I really wanted to go with a DC motor because I already have the controller. The problem is DC motor prices. 1.5hp Motor is $300-400. I might find one for cheaper used but I'd rather Buy once. I could go with a 1hp motor for around $200.
The Motors I was contemplating are all for good name brand motors whose service capability I've seen in person or are proven in Industry.

I found a Drive that i think I'm going to go with. I just need to check the motors I have one more time. I did take Pictures of the Info plates on most but there were a couple I missed. I have 1 motor that will work for sure. Only prob is It's a 1700rpm one I could just get a bigger drive wheel I suppose
Also I found an AC Tech drive that will handle a 1.5hp motor and I think I might go with that one. Since it gives me a little more torque.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Steel Addict

well now on to belt selection. After searching and lots of reading. Plus trying to keep my order simple. This is what I came up with. Just for informational purposes O1 is my metal of choice

Going through Pop's for the belts
these are the ones I'm planning on going with

3M 2x72 Ceramic 963G (60 grit)
Klingspor 2x72 CS 411 x ( 120 grit)
Klingspor 2x72 CS 330 x weight Cork (400 grit)

These are debatables. Would like some input here. Like good , no good. Grits if I get.

3M 2x72 372L Micron
3M 2x72 Trizact CF (maybe A65/ 280 grit)
3M 2x72 307EA Trizact
Hermes RB 406 2x72 Belts

I tried to stay away from the AO belts as it's my understanding they aren't as good or long lasting. I may pick some of the economy ones up for handle working. Dont want to gum up my nice belts

Anyways any help here would be great thanks

Chris
Old 02-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Those are all good belts and they all have their uses. Whether or not they will be useful to uou depends on how you use them and on what. The only way you'll ever really know for sure is to buy them and try them. It won't take too long to figure out what works for you .....

Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Hall of Famer

I am assuming that you know that the cork belts have to be soaked for a few minutes before being put on the grinder. One hint, don't stand in front of the grinder when you first turn it on after mounting one of these belts or you'll get a shower.

Doug Lester

Old 02-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Steel Addict

I wanted to get a few more finer grits but this is the line up

3M 2x72 Trizact CF (A65 (280 grit))

Klingspor 2x72 CS 411 x ( 120 grit)

Klingspor 2x72 CS 330 x weight Cork (400 grit)

3M 2x72 Ceramic 963G (60 grit)

Schroder 2x72 ALJ461 j flex (600 grit)

AZ-X 2x72 Aluminum Oxide / Zirconia Combination Belts (60 grit)

Awuko j flex & j weight Belts (KT62J 220 grit j weight)

Awuko j flex & j weight Belts (KT82J 120 grit j weight)

the last four are for handles.

So thats what I'll be working with. But now with the way you say that Ray, I'm kinda scared ...LOL
Old 02-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
I am assuming that you know that the cork belts have to be soaked for a few minutes before being put on the grinder. One hint, don't stand in front of the grinder when you first turn it on after mounting one of these belts or you'll get a shower.

Doug Lester
thanks Doug I had no clue. I heard some stuff about rouge. But being a noob know very little. do I just soak them in water?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Steel Addict

I gotta say, while I'm still a rank novice when it comes to knifemaking, I've already learned some lessons the hard way. Like you, Squigly, I consider knifemaking a hobby, not a potential way of making a living (ah, dare to dream...).

I did try to cut corners at the beginning and bought a 4 X 48 belt sander with a 1/2 horse power motor. It cost me less than $500.00, did an adequate job when it came to grinding the first two blades, and then burned out in a very dramatic and smoky way. Fortunately, it was still under warranty and I was able to get a complete refund.

I bit the bullet and eventually bought a good 2 X 72 grinder and I LOVE it! It cost me just over $1000.00, but I have no regrrets.

JIM T.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Hall of Famer

I have heard of people using cork belts with rouge after the grit has been worn down or starting out with plain belts, though I have never used it. When I was using cork belts I just put them in a bucket of water for about 15 minutes. I used the same bucket that I cooled my blades in. The wet belts lets the belt run cooler. You would have thought that I would have learned the first time that the excess water on the belts was thrown in my face but it took me the longest time to remember to stand to one side.

Doug Lester

Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
I have heard of people using cork belts with rouge after the grit has been worn down or starting out with plain belts, though I have never used it. When I was using cork belts I just put them in a bucket of water for about 15 minutes. I used the same bucket that I cooled my blades in. The wet belts lets the belt run cooler. You would have thought that I would have learned the first time that the excess water on the belts was thrown in my face but it took me the longest time to remember to stand to one side.

Doug Lester
LOL thats funny stuff. It'll probably happent to me a time or two.

And Jim.

Yea I'm glad I decided on making my own 2x72 grinder. Especially after seeing how easy it was. I admit, I've spent well over my budget. It ended up encompassing other projects money. But I am pleased with what I will have in the end. and the other projects were minor ones, so no real loss.

Chris
Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 AM

What are you afraid of, Squig? I think it's a fact for most all knife makers that even if you have access to every type of belt made you will eventually winnow the belts you prefer to use down to a fairly small set of belts and your set probably won't be exactly the same as most other guys choices. There must be hundreds of different belts out there but obviously we don't use even 100 different types of belts in our shops. For instance, I own cork belts, quite a few A/O belts (the brown ones), Gator belts, TriZact belts, and probably a few others that I flat out don't ever use now that I've worked with them for a while. I have others like leather and felt belts and Micron belts that get used on rare occasion. All in all, I must have spent upwards of $1000 over the years trying various belts many of which I rejected as useless to me even though other guys might rave about them.

Most of the decision as to what belts work for you will depend on how you make your knives and the kinds of finishes you like and how you eventually settle on creating those finishes (more than one way to skin a cat, you know). That's why your belts won't be the same as mine and why, as we gain experience and as our tastes change, our belt selection may change too. For instance, when I first tried Micron belts I found them to be completely useless but years later I started finding places where I could use them. Never did buy any more of them, still using the first ones I bought, but I use them once in a while. It's all part of the price of the education it takes to be a knife maker .....

Old 02-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Steel Addict

Oh I know I was more apprehensive(same thing as scared but a grown up word) about my choices than anything. you know it's hard to know when you don't know, you know.

I tried to get what i thought were the best belts for each job I thought I would be doing. Plus I got a few extras to try out because they were cheap. Of course I wont expect as much from them.

Thanks Again for everything

LOL 4 pages and Not one bolt or weld laid. Things are suppose to start showing up tomorrow. So thats when the real fun begins. I have this and my Forge Project to work on. Busy Busy Busy
Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Steel Addict

Alrighty well I've been pretty busy this weekend.
I have the main frame pf my grinder welded together. Most of the welds aren't the prettiest but for a 120v welder i think I did good. I hit it with a hammer a few times to make sure the welds are holding. pried on it with some Vise grips too. Everything's solid.
Only real trouble areas I had was I cut the upright plate at 8" when i meant for it to be 10" so that threw my plans off a bit. no too bad though. and the other problem was the hole where the motor shaft is going through. well I thought it was a 3/4" shaft. 3/4" is the biggest bit I have. so i figured I need to work it around a bit to get good clearance. well it seems the shaft is 7/8". So I took my Sawzall to my nice looking hole and gouged anad cut until the shaft fit. So the hole is ugly but it is useful.

Last part I need to do it the tension arm. Would have had that finished tonight but I burned up my drill i think(it was smokin) and my other ione batteries were dead.

I'll post some pix tomorrow. I'm still waiting on wheels from Sunray. I'll probably mount the motor and hook up the VFD for it. Then it's just waiting for the wheels.

Chris

Tags
blade, forge, hobby, knife, knife making, knives, supply