MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Skilled

I agree with you and Lee, NJ, The silhouette style will show off the grain. Especially if you're careful about the direction you turn the rings. Should be very cool and feel great cut to fit your hand as well.

Lee, I just assumed since you were talking about the big roll up door you were doing concrete. Just proof of the old adage about assuming. The wood floor will be better on the back for sure. That's one reason most of my work stations are for setting down in a padded roll around office chair. Told you I'm lazy.

Got my first fuzzy tail when I was 6 as well. With the .22 I still have. Long barrel Remington from around 1910. Had to lay it over Pop's shoulder to hold it up. Rat was out over the wagon road, just setting on a big old Red Oak limb. Looked like it was a hundred feet high and a half mile away at that age. Good times.

After that Pop got me a Revelation .410 and I shot my second the next fall with that. It fell at the base of a big hickory. When I got to it, it jumped up and started running. I reloaded and started chasing it round and round the tree trying to draw a bead. The whole time I could hear pop in the background hollering, "Don't shoot it! Don't shoot it!"

First thing you know it caught me. I turned and blew a hole in the ground. Sprayed acorns, hickory hulls, leaves and squirrel all over the woods. I reached down and picked up the two barely connected halves to show Pop I got that rascal. When I turned to look at him he was bent over double. It scared me. I thought I might have shot him or he was mad or something. Nope! He was laughing so hard that tears were rolling down both cheeks.

The look on my face must have given me away, cause he quit laughing and came right over and explained that, that was why he told me not to shoot. We made some jokes about self cleaning squirrels and went on with the hunt. He still pokes at me about being chased by a squirrel today.

I'll bet most of us that got to experience squirrel hunting at an early age have some similar stories. Probably why we enjoy the wilderness and outdoors the way we do now.

Anyway, look forward to the progress pics of the shop. Glad you're getting it under way. Even if it did cost you a truck. Although, that truck will be in a junk yard in a few years and you'll still be making art in that shop for many years to come.

chiger,
Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Hall of Famer

The last couple of years we've had a Newbie KITH where we made and swapped knives. If there wasn't a KITH just starting I'd suggest to have another Newbie KITH with a squirrel hunting theme. . .
Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

chiger, that story had me rollin!!!!!

Reminds me of when Dad knocked a big Fox Squirrel down with the 16 ga. I ran down to get it and grabbed it by the tail before I realized it wasn't quite done yet. I'm tryin not to get bit, the squirrel's tryin to get ahold of me and Dad's yellin at me to knock it against the tree. I think I went around that tree 8 or 9 times before I finally had enough and ran up to the truck and tossed it at Dad. He was laughing so hard it took him a minute or 2 before he dispatched that vicious monster. I think I was about 11 or 12 then.

I've been trying to get rid of that truck for awhile, just never could put a price on it. This works out very well for both of us. And we have needed a shop for sometime now. Funny, I was thinking about a low bench or two also. The less I have to stand at a bench the longer I can work in a chair!!!!!

Lee

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Skilled

NJ,

I've been wondering about the KITH thing for a while. Didn't really understand what that acronym meant or exactly how it works. I could kind of figure out what was going on by the post, but is there a post somewhere that explains things? A small game/squirrel KITH sounds interesting if it's what I think. I might even fire up the forge and beat one out for that. I'm just finishing my first forged knife for a fellow in Virgina. 30 years of making knives and I'm just doing my first forging. Better late than never I guess.

Lee,

See I said I bet most of us have similar stories from childhood hunting trips. I can picture a kid flailing round and round a tree trying to let go and hold on at the same time.

Bet you didn't make that mistake again.

When you build your benches, make the frames and tops strong. Grinders, sanders and the like have a tendency to vibrate even if they are well balanced with isolated motors. Evey thing gets loose and the first thing you know it's walking across the floor making a sound like a speed metal band's drummer. Bolting or screwing the legs to the floor is a pretty good ideal. Keeps 'um from rocking or sliding too.

chiger,
Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiger
When you build your benches, make the frames and tops strong. Grinders, sanders and the like have a tendency to vibrate even if they are well balanced with isolated motors. Evey thing gets loose and the first thing you know it's walking across the floor making a sound like a speed metal band's drummer. Bolting or screwing the legs to the floor is a pretty good ideal. Keeps 'um from rocking or sliding too. chiger,
It also helps to add a little strip of scrap wood to make a very slight raised rim to the bench, especially if you have a glass ashtray sitting on it while grinding, filing, sanding, or whatever. Stuff tends to slowly walk off a bench that has a vibrating power tool running on it. Don't ask how I found that out...
Old 07-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

NJ, I'm not familiar with that either. Need 'splaining. I'm usually game for anything.

chiger, Dad told that story for these last 30 some odd years. He also added that by the sound of it he couldn't tell if that was me or my sister!!!!!

At least a couple of the benches are going to be doubled 2x4 corners with 3/4" plywood tops and I had not though of anchoring them down, but they will be now.

Alan, thanks for the tip on the rims, great idea. I have a cut down shell case from a 5" gun from my ship that I use as an ashtry. I don't need that thing walking around.

Lee

Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

AHH HAA!!!!!!

I now know what a KITH is. It stands for "Knife In The Hat". Names in a hat, whoever draws your name, you send them your knife. I would need some time to get going. And with chigers advice, my first knife stays with me.

Give me a bit of time and I'd be in.

Lee

Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Guys,

A KITH is just that--Knife in the Hat. It's a chance for people to make knives, usually around some theme, and do the best work you can. Then, as Lee found out, we draw names and you send your knife to one of the participants. At blacksmith hammer-ins, I guess it was the practice to bring a knife, or something you made, place it on a table, and in exchange you got to take something from someone else.

Here's some reading about the spirit of KITH's here:

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17333

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40471

Other knife forums have them, or have something similar, but the guys here really take it to heart. It all comes down to a few simple concepts. 1) You're going to send your knife to someone else, so you want it to be the best you can make. 2) You're going to receive a knife from someone else. That person could be a Master Smith, or it could be a new guy just trying to get started. It could be from someone with experience in between. Whatever knife you get, you accept it graciously.

Use the Search option to take a look at past KITH's that have been run here, and take a look at the one that Andy Garrett is starting up over at the Custom Projects area.

Since Lee is just getting started, maybe we can put the idea of a squirrel hunter's knife aside for now and see if there is interest at the beginning of next year. The current KITH will occupy guys for the next couple of months, and then after that a lot of us try to get our Christmas presents made, so another KITH might be too much right now.

Nathan
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Skilled

That explains it. Thanks Nathan. And thanks for the links. That's what I love about this forum. Ask and ye shall receive.

I wasn't really suggesting we start one right now Though. I've been kind of watching the new one that just started up. But I do think that would be a good theme ideal for a swap. Oh, and I think it was a tradition at Rendezvous in the 17 & 1800s as well.

Lee glad you're takin' Alan's advice about the rim. Wouldn't want the neighbors to hear you screaming like your little sister all over again! 5" gun brass would have to leave a place when it landed. ;~)

When did you serve?

chiger,
Old 07-31-2008, 05:55 AM

Boy! Doesn't pay to quick scan a thread early before the coffee kicks in! I got so interested in the "tree rat" stuff that when I got to the end it was sounding like Lee had gone to a 5" gun to take revenge on a childhood attack. Glad I had time to re-read.
My "Got Me!" with a tree rat was at age of 5. It was cold and wet so I had on my dad's old hunting coat (big enough for all three of us boys at one time). Knocked a buck fox squirrel out of a big pine with an old H&R Featherweight .410 - still have. I was on him when he hit the ground and pinned him with my boot. Not to take a lickin for wasting a shot I got out my old trusty barlow and was gonna ease his head off. Short of it.....he got loose and went up my coat sleeve. Of course I gave him the coat, temporarily.
Got two lickin's for the price of one. Did learn some valuable lessons though: 1 - If the tail's swirling on the way down, he ain't dead! 2 - Don't waste time or ammo on downed game! 3 - How to sew up a ragged hole in canvas, without sitting down!

Lee - I have a brotherinlaw over in Bentonville, Ark that I've been trying to corrupt with a hammer and anvil for years. Next time we visit him I'll give you heads up and maybe we can all play a tune or two. My daughter lives up in St. Charles, but I imagine that'd be a stretch for a day run (besides, she doesn't have a place to set up a forge. If you ever get a chance to make it down to N. GA, I'd be glad to show you how to eliminate the bulk of your grind-time.

Thank you and all you other guys that serve and have served our country in uniform.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-31-2008, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast

chiger, I served US Navy 81-85, I was in Beruit when they blew up the barracks in 1983. My ship
http://www.poorwilliam.net/pix/uss-n...sey-aerial.jpg

I was a MM (Machinist Mate) and worked in one of the enginerooms, but I was also trained as a firefighter and overwatch (sniper) for our ships security force.

And that 5" case would defiantly leave a mark as in something in plaster!!!!

Carl, had the 5" been available, I would have used it!!!! Great story too. Them critters is tough.

Let me know next time and I'll see if the work schedule will let me get down that way. If I ever get around N. Ga, I'll let ya know.

And for our troops:
If ya can't stand behind our troops, the least you can do is stand in front of them.

Lee

Old 07-31-2008, 06:48 AM
Enthusiast

Nathan,

As soon as I can get things setup, you can count me in.

Lee

Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Hall of Famer

We'll put this idea off for a few months, so let me know when you're set up Lee. I'm thinking we can start one at the start of next year. If I can get a couple of other projects finished up I may join in the Hunt Camp/Assassin KITH.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Steel Addict

my dads favourite story is when he took me on my first goose hunting trip. i was 10 or 11 and one of the guys winged a big greatercanadian goose, dad told me to run up to it grab it by the neck and twist to dispatch it. i grabbed that goose by the neck and all hell broke loose those wings were pounding against my head so hard so fast it took me a while to communicate with my fingers to let go,when i did let go that goose whose probly nicknamed Rocky, chased me back into the blind. never mess with a goose its bad for the image. try going to school that day and explain the black eyes to your buddies but tell it in a way that you still sound tough
Old 07-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

Thats a great story terence. My nephew had almost the same experience with a Turkey and he was 18!!!! I was laughing so hard I couldn't shoot for an hour. I'd bring the gun up to shoot at a turkey and I'd start giggling and he'd say, "Shut up!" and I'd bust out laughing and the turkey would be gone.

Nathan, okay a few months should be good. I'm playing with the idea of taking a few vacation days in Oct or Nov and working in the shop the whole time. We'll see if that flies. I have no one to answer too so I'm good there.

Lee

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives