MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-16-2002, 01:44 PM
Lamnia Artifex

Beginner knifemaking contest

How do all of you guys like this idea? A newbie knifemaking contest. An accomplished knifemaker sponsors a newbie for a contest. Each newbie is supplied with a railroad spike or something standard, a piece of nice wood (scales, or block) and you know, necessities. Then they get tips, and if they are nearby, assistance (only minor, NO construction) form their mentor/sponsor. It'd help newbies to show their work, get them to work better, give a product generalization, and we'd all have lots of fun. And newbies a.k.a. beginners do not need to worry about their ork "not being good enough" because they will just be facing other beginners. A panel of judges from a forum can dictate the winner. We should also have a prize, like something knifemaking related. Perhaps a prize knife? How do you guys like that idea? I think it's neato, it'll inspire newbies to work hard, try new things, interact with others, post pics, etc...
Old 04-16-2002, 01:50 PM
sherpa1d

I think it sounds great! If I wasn't right in the middle of a move and trying to locate a new place for my shop I would be all over it.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:13 PM
Bob Warner

I want Don Cowles to give me some premium MOP, I'll do the rest.

Actually, that is not a bad idea. Remember that some of the experienced makers are making their living off of their shop time and it can be very limited when it comes to face to face mentoring. Most will be glad to help out if the time is not too long.

I'm in for anyone in my neck of the woods. I already supply my son with EVERYTHING so another project will not kill me.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:45 PM
Terry Hearn

Hey Bob, thats what Ashley call's profit : . She has one to make and the customer told her to make what ever she liked but I didn't have the kind of Ironwood she wanted to handle it with. I told her we could order some more with some of the money she was making off the knife. She looked a little longer and said I think this set will do.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:51 PM
Suruga

Okay, here's a question..

What if you already have the materials needed, have someone you can beg for help if necessary, and so forth.. do you still have an Official Sponsor?

Old 04-16-2002, 08:50 PM
cajun bones

Count me in by all means! This sounds like fun. Only question: what about forged blades versus stock removal? I can already think of several categories. Or is it "no holds barred"??

And as far as location is concerned, what if there isn't an established maker around you? For me, I can knock on the doors of either Terry or Bob. But for others, advice via email may suffice.

I look forward to seeing where this goes!

Chris
Old 04-16-2002, 10:21 PM
aiiifish

Sounds like a good idea to me. How are we gonna define newby? I'm newer than most but been at it longer than some.
I wouldn't have a problem with an email sponser. {Terry are you busy?}

Steve
Double S Custom
Old 04-17-2002, 06:12 AM
P MOORE

What ever is good for everyone, I am ready. Paul (newby)
Old 04-17-2002, 08:29 AM
blckbear

I'm with Steve. We need to classify newby.

Other than that I am all for it.

Mike
Old 04-17-2002, 10:07 AM
BCB27

I like the idea of a contest, but I'm going to comment on a few of the propositions. I think supplies should be supplied by the person making the knife, in part to show dedication on their part. People are welcome to email, phone, or visit my shop for some hands on experience. But I'm a part-time maker, and my primary avocation allows me this luxury. Most full-time makers I know aren't able to sacrifice their time without sacrificing something else (money, longer hours in the shop, etc). I think that full-time makers should be paid for any significant amount of their time. When I decided to learn about forging and forge welding I paid a full-time maker to teach me. It was worth it. I just wish that I had done it with stock removal.
This forum (and others like it) are useful for answering most questions. In fact, you usually get more than one opinion or way of doing things. The only thing better is some hands on training.
I'm not trying to beat up on anyone, just giving an opinion to consider.

Brett

Old 04-17-2002, 01:31 PM
Tangus

This a great idea. With a few refinements, we could find a level playing field.
1. need to define "newbie"-what qualifies?
2. probably need two categories-forged and stock removal.
do you want to consider kit knife category?fixed vs. folder?
3. are we limiting this to fixed blades only?
4. as newbies, any source for heattreating is permissible?
5. newbies would have to furnish all their own materials?
6. newbies could have a sponsor-available by email (this way it doesn't take away from experienced makers' shop time.
7. all archive documents are fair game (it covers almost everything)
8. how about an entry fee? (say $5 or $10) entry fees collectively could go to purchase gift certificates at knife supply house for say 1st, 2nd, 3rd?
9.probably need a judging panel of qualified makers-say maybe 5, one to act as a tie breaker.
10. time limit for completion.
11. judging aspects could be limited to fit, finish, and construction.
12. to be fair, the knives should be sent to a central judging arena (knives could be returned (maker paying postage) or agree to have a newbie auction, pictures posted, and all proceeds to a charity?

I guess this could get as big as you want it to go. Winners of regions go up to nationwide contest. As this got started on CKD, I guess all newbies would have to be a registered member (would boost membership)-just my 2 cents worth-Dan

Old 04-17-2002, 01:54 PM
DracAmy

This may stretch it, but I so new I'm working from kit/blanks. I've seen some beatiful knives turned out in the kit forum. It can also be used to standardize a contest. Say for a kit contest each person must use a certain kit, say the DDR-1 for folders and maybe the bullnose skinner for fixed blades.

Though this maybe kept to a knifemaking contest, meaning only custom made blade, it sounds like it could be fun.

I agree, for all it's worth, that the cost of the contest should fall apon the contestant as an entry fee or something. Though would the judges, which I assume would be professional full time knifemakers, be reinbursed for their time as was mentioned in the mentoring issues from the fee?

Drac
Old 04-17-2002, 07:04 PM
roman2002

re: beginner knifemaking contest

Hello, I'm pretty new to knifemaking. Can the knife be of our own design. I've got a great idea for a Trollslayer, Lamnia....
Old 04-17-2002, 09:29 PM
cajun bones

Re: re: beginner knifemaking contest

I totally agree with the newbie being the one to supply the materials. Beyond that, I think the accomplished maker needs something in the way of compensation as well. That, of course, may be agreed upon between the two makers.

Guys, what do you think of this: depending on which maker you are teamed with, choose a pattern he/she is familiar with/currently making. The both of you make the same knife in the same amount of time. How else will a maker be REALLY able to guide you unless it's something they are familiar with? What do you get out of this? Two knives, one of which can be sold by the accomplished maker, the other to go auctioned to a charity (I really like that idea).

In addition, your knife may be judged in comparison to the accomplished makers. How close were you able to get to the original design? Did you really follow the guidance of said maker? All should be held accountable.

What do you think?

Chris
Old 04-18-2002, 07:09 AM
Tangus

Re: re: beginner knifemaking contest

I was kinda thinking that if there was one standard, for example, a 4" drop point hunter to be made by the newbie, then all the entrants would be judged on the same criteria for fit, finish, and condition. Maybe the only categories would be forged and stock removal? As Bob indicated earlier, most experienced makers (selling their knives) are either full time makers or part-time and use their shops to generate income for their families. I could see having a "sponsor" as far as the guy to go to if you're having problems, need guidance, etc., but the knife should really be totally made by the newbie. The sponsor would have "bragging" rights for supervision. As this is a proposal for a beginning knifemaking contest, I wouldn't expect a sponser to also submit a knife as well. Sounds like there is a lot of interest here, but the key points may well be the definition of newbie and a standard for submission. Another 2 cents worth (this could get expensive-all those 2 cents add up)--Dan

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives