MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Skilled

Mark
Well I would but I've been thinking of a bowie, an art knife(attempting one anyway), and a few other thoughts as well. Being a newbie KITH I would think it best just to let everyone make what they are comfortable with that way there isn't any added pressure to those who might be making their first knife from scratch (or even second or third). Plus there is the whole 10" thing that a lot of people will be working with or towards that would of sort of eliminate and EDC...inless you're Shaq.

I'm getting ready to take my first knife up to the heat treat point and it is a chisel ground EDC, which I think is a way easy choice for a first but I wanted to do a little more on the knife for this KITH.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 12-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd
Just to throw an idea out there...
anyone interested in agreeing to a general style and materials and see what we come up with??

Like, say, edc, wood scales, bolsters, pins. And let the imaginations run this one??

You can tell me to shove it if you'd like.

I like the idea. Maybe we can use it for another KITH next summer. I think since a lot of people are just starting and have different comfort levels they should just let their own experience (or lack thereof) guide them in what knife to make. Besides, I already started drilling holes in some barstock to cut out a blank. It would make a good EDC when I'm finished.

I actually had a similar idea yesterday for a KITH. It would kind of be a KITH in reverse. Each person would right down a description of a knife (as if they were ordering it from a maker), and then the different descriptions are randomly assigned to the participants, who then make the knife and send it off to the person who thought up the description.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Skilled

I read that in another forum. Scared the crap out of me. I'm just now getting started making my own designs. I guess it would stretch me out and get me thinking outside the box, but still scary.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 12-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Yeah, a little scary. But it should be old hat for those guys that make knives for customers. Imagine someone ordering a knife from you, but doesn't know a whole lot about knives, and having to guess/interpret what they want. . .
Old 12-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Steel Addict

Hey folks,

I was making and selling knives for 5 or 6 years back in the late 70's and had to quit. I recently (3 months ago) got the itch to get back into it. This time around I'm not shooting for sales, but to develop as a real knifemaker. All I made were hunting models because that's what was selling. I've spent the last 3 months getting a shop together and have yet to complete a knife. (have about a dozen blades ready fo ht though) So, I definitely consider myself a newbie and would like to get in. Already in the Kitchen Kith; these are perfect for trying new directions. I want the "Ham Fisted..." t-shirt though.

Dave
Old 12-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Hi Dave, I'll add you to the list.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Skilled

Have to tell you all I am excited to be a part of this fellas. I'm looking forward to pushing my skills to a point beyond what I thought I could do. I can't gaurantee whoever gets this knife will get the best blade out there, but they will get the best blade I have ever made.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediOkie
Have to tell you all I am excited to be a part of this fellas. I'm looking forward to pushing my skills to a point beyond what I thought I could do. I can't gaurantee whoever gets this knife will get the best blade out there, but they will get the best blade I have ever made.
Good call, giving knives to strangers, forces you to make it as well as your ability and experience dictates.
I'm going to plan mine this weekend.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediOkie
I'm excited as well. We've got a baker's dozen right now, so this will be a good KITH I think. I'm looking forward to seeing the knives everyone makes.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Skilled

Just an for some first time grinders that I got out of a Wayne Goddard book. Go to the local lumber yard and find some scrap wood the size of the knife you are wanting to make and try and grind it out and that will give you a good idea of how it looks/feels. And it kind of gives you an idea of the angles and what not you need to keep while grinding. Wood is obviously a lot softer than metal, but it is also a lot cheaper. Also seen some of the old timer knife makers that let their kids/grandkids start that way.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Hall of Famer

If the draw is not until April and it is Ok I would like to throw my name in the hat.Just remember one of you will get stuck with it

Old 12-17-2006, 12:35 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1
If the draw is not until April and it is Ok I would like to throw my name in the hat.Just remember one of you will get stuck with it
whine, whine whine, Andy......yours will definately look better than mine! I have a question. i notice that a lot of your tacticals have leather sheaths. Are the troops ok with that, because when my knives become presentable, i want to get some in the hands of our boys and girls in uniform, but I really HATE Kydex....lol (not too fond of nylon either, but i might be able to live with that)
Old 12-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Hall of Famer

I haven't had any complaints.I usually offer the buyer a choice.I also do a leather sheath with a kydex liner.I perfer leather.Some of the airborn units have to have kydex to jump with.Also I have used molly clips on alot of my sheaths so the guys and gals can clip the sheath right to their gear.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Your knives are already very presentable!!!!l

Old 12-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Andy, I've added you to the list. Looking forward to your knife in the KITH!

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives