MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Master

Thanks for the links to Bob's designs. I really like the "Big Henry" in the utility knife section. It's overall length is designed to be 10 & 1/8 so I figure by the time I get done with it it's bound to be well below the 10" max for this KITH. I'm thinking about using 10XX steel so I can HT myself and maybe some black palm scales to remind the recipient that it came from my shop in sunny FL. What do you guys think?

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Hall of Famer

That sounds like a great idea for a knife. There is actually one of those knives (blade by Engnath, assembled by someone else) on ebay right now.

I haven't completely decided what I will do, but I'm leaning toward a small drop point with a stick tang, and composite handle. I have lots of deer antler, some stiff leather, and various kinds of wood sitting in my garage. Some brass and stainless steel is sitting around somewhere too, for good measure.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Skilled

Dito on the links Nathan. Those designs are pretty awesom. I found one in the Bowie section I might try and put a twist on.

Dave that idea sounds great. I don't think I have seen any black palm scales so that should be very intresting.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 12-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRuhlig
Thanks for the links to Bob's designs. I really like the "Big Henry" in the utility knife section. It's overall length is designed to be 10 & 1/8 so I figure by the time I get done with it it's bound to be well below the 10" max for this KITH. I'm thinking about using 10XX steel so I can HT myself and maybe some black palm scales to remind the recipient that it came from my shop in sunny FL. What do you guys think?
Hey Dave...where do you live in Tampa and are you a grinder or a finger masher? lol I bught a big stick of lignum vitae because it still greows in stands in the Keys. Eventually, I want to find an old piece of live oak and do something with it.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm61
Hey Dave...where do you live in Tampa and are you a grinder or a finger masher? lol I bught a big stick of lignum vitae because it still greows in stands in the Keys. Eventually, I want to find an old piece of live oak and do something with it.
I wouldn't consider myself either at this point, but I'm attempting to be a grinder. I hope to progress to finger mashing at some point. How about you?

Good find on the lignum vitae. You have to scoop it up when you have a chance. Let me know if you can't find a nice hunk of live oak. I've got a bunch of them and what the locals call "cherry laurel's" (I don't know if they really are cherry laurels or not) that are constantly shedding branches on my property. I've got a big burn pile now - I'll try to cut some up and post pics incase any of you guys want some.

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Hall of Famer

More inspiration. . .

Here's some more knife pics. These are from Mike Stewart at Bark River Knives. They are "semi-production" knives, and this site shows a lot of the different styles they make.

http://www.barkriverknives.com/home.html

Look for the menu on the right side and check out the Current Production, Limited Editions, etc.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Skilled

Dont forget also that the Display Case forum is a great place if you are seeking inspiration. Take a look at what others have done and tweek it. You could probably even talk to a couple of makers and find out why they did it the way they did. With the exception of a few almost everyone on all of these forums is very willing to help.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 12-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Master

Ok - so here's the rough drawing of what I've come up with. I "borrowed" Bob Engath's design called the "Big Henry" and modified it a little. While you're looking at the pic and thinking to yourself "that rope cutter is backwards" or "that fancy choil/blade breaker is kinda big" don't be alarmed. This is designed to have much more use than either of those two things. It's my fancy, soon to be famous, choil bottle opener. It's the one thing I think a great camp knife has always been missing - you can leave your leatherman at home with this blade.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRuhlig
I wouldn't consider myself either at this point, but I'm attempting to be a grinder. I hope to progress to finger mashing at some point. How about you?

Good find on the lignum vitae. You have to scoop it up when you have a chance. Let me know if you can't find a nice hunk of live oak. I've got a bunch of them and what the locals call "cherry laurel's" (I don't know if they really are cherry laurels or not) that are constantly shedding branches on my property. I've got a big burn pile now - I'll try to cut some up and post pics incase any of you guys want some.
I allegedly forge..lol. I found a wood supplier that sells very lage turning blanks of some really good looking wood. I bought a couple of Huge curly maple ones and one very nice english walnut blank. I also got the lignum vitae stick and an African blackwood stick. They are both rather oversized 2 x 2 sqaures. If you want to pick up a piece or two of nice wood, go check out Intercity Lumber on Causeway right east of 50th St. The lignum vitae and the African blackwood are both kinda weird. They came sealed with wax, and even though they are probably 1 and 3 on the density list, they have so much oil in them, they are prety easy to work when you first cut them. The lignum sawdust almost looks like yellow cake crumbs, but it darkens pretty quickly when the surface is exposed to air for a week or so. Similar thing with the balckwood. In some sopts is is not balck but very dark brown with a goodly amont of figure like a darker version of brazilian rosewood. I like the way the blackwood works because i have had about enough of brittle woods like ebony and snakewood.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Dave, I like the bottle opener idea. You don't think it would put stress on the choil, do you? Since it's a full tang it probably wouldn't be a problem. A hidden tang on the other hand, might have a weak spot there.

You are in good company. Tai Goo had a knife with a bottle opener he posted last summer in the Outpost.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Guru

I like the knife Dave, I've also thought about a bottle opener, but I had thought about putting it in place of a pommel. I would test that design on plastic or cardboard so you can get a good idea of where the plunges should go. I think if you come down too low you'll be cutting bottle caps in half!

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 12-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Skilled

Hmm. Cap's post got me to thinking. Do you all think you could use one of those little aluminum bottle openers you can find at any gas station for a guard?

Old 12-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcridSaint
I like the knife Dave, I've also thought about a bottle opener, but I had thought about putting it in place of a pommel. I would test that design on plastic or cardboard so you can get a good idea of where the plunges should go. I think if you come down too low you'll be cutting bottle caps in half!

Good point Cap! I also thought about reversing it so the blade doesn't come down and cut the hand holding the bottle. I can just imagine the quandry..... do I open that ice cold refreshing beer and risk cutting my hand or do I play it safe and search for another opener taking the risk that the beer may get warm???? That is not a delima I care to have! I'm going to try it out on a piece of plexiglass this weekend and will report my results.
-Dave

Old 12-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Guru

I think you could use on of those openers on a knife. I'm thinking you'd have to slot it, but I'm not sure how you could pin it or screw it, one might have to get rather creative unless you just wanted to JB Weld it.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 12-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Skilled

Just to throw an idea out there...
anyone interested in agreeing to a general style and materials and see what we come up with??

Like, say, edc, wood scales, bolsters, pins. And let the imaginations run this one??

You can tell me to shove it if you'd like.

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives