MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Guru

I've seen several people say they started on a sears 2x42, I would look into that for sure Derek. I have a 4x36 and I'm still happy I started with it, but the more I use other equipment, the harder it is to recomend them as a grinder. I guess mine is still good for profiling, but just one knife on a bader made it nearly impossible for me to use my 4x36. I owe Jayson an apology for the recomendation.

If you can't work something out with jdm, I'd look into a disc grinder or a grizzly. You can put together a disc grinder relatively cheaply and you will be able to flat grind on it.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Hall of Famer

If money is a limiting factor, get a hold of Wayne Goddard's book $50 Knife Shop. He has some sections that talk about building your own grinder. There is a guy on Ebay that sells plans for $30, if you are handy and resourceful in getting the materials. It might require some welding, but you might be able to have a local shop do that, or find a way to bolt it all together.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armory414
If money is a limiting factor, get a hold of Wayne Goddard's book $50 Knife Shop. He has some sections that talk about building your own grinder. There is a guy on Ebay that sells plans for $30, if you are handy and resourceful in getting the materials. It might require some welding, but you might be able to have a local shop do that, or find a way to bolt it all together.
Dito that but it should actually be the $70 workshop because you need to put out the $20 to get the book on how to put together the $50 workshop. But I will say there is a wealth of information in all the books that Wayne has put out.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 12-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armory414
There is a guy on Ebay that sells plans for $30, if you are handy and resourceful in getting the materials. It might require some welding, but you might be able to have a local shop do that, or find a way to bolt it all together.
Speaking of that - has anyone here ever ordered those plans? Better yet - has anyone ever build a grinder from them?

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Steel Addict

believe it or not that is one of two knife books that i own. as im looking for it i realise that i left it in texas at my brother and sister in law. a quick phonecall later and i should have it back in my posession by the end of the week.
i would definitly be interested in purchasing that sears grinder. give me a price and i would love to do it....that is once i convince my wife that it is a wise money-making(keyword) investmant.
i live in st louis missouri, im not sure where you are so i dont know what shipping would be like, but it would not be a problem at all just name a price.
regarding the high end grinders.......im not sure i could get one of those even by april...wait my birthday is in march but still, time would start to become an issue by then.
so with christmas here, and my wife and i still recovering financially from the move back from texas (who knew moving twice in a year was so expensive?) i really dont see that as an option in time for the april deadline.
if this sears grinder doesnt work out i will be going to get a cheap-o until march probably. you guys got me really excited about this, so i definitly dont want to look unprepared.
in my free time i play this video game and im in a clan and all this stuff....anyway, after you kill X# of people with a knife you get this special knife. ive already sold some kits to some of the guys i play with and i have had people practically begging me to learn how to make this special knife. constant offers from $200-$500.
even more incentive to pull this off by april.
anyway, thanks for all the help guys.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek parker
believe it or not that is one of two knife books that i own. as im looking for it i realise that i left it in texas at my brother and sister in law. a quick phonecall later and i should have it back in my posession by the end of the week.
i would definitly be interested in purchasing that sears grinder. give me a price and i would love to do it....that is once i convince my wife that it is a wise money-making(keyword) investmant.
i live in st louis missouri, im not sure where you are so i dont know what shipping would be like, but it would not be a problem at all just name a price.
regarding the high end grinders.......im not sure i could get one of those even by april...wait my birthday is in march but still, time would start to become an issue by then.
so with christmas here, and my wife and i still recovering financially from the move back from texas (who knew moving twice in a year was so expensive?) i really dont see that as an option in time for the april deadline.
if this sears grinder doesnt work out i will be going to get a cheap-o until march probably. you guys got me really excited about this, so i definitly dont want to look unprepared.
in my free time i play this video game and im in a clan and all this stuff....anyway, after you kill X# of people with a knife you get this special knife. ive already sold some kits to some of the guys i play with and i have had people practically begging me to learn how to make this special knife. constant offers from $200-$500.
even more incentive to pull this off by april.
anyway, thanks for all the help guys.
Dude, I am on my 3rd grinder and the sears was my first. Cost of shipping and packaging and you can have the pile of belts too. I bought a bunch right before I impulse bought a Radiusmaster. That one is a neat idea but it didn't really work all that well for me, so it will be the wood grinder. Same issue. I bought a bunch of 2 X48 belts and then impulse bought a VS KMG. That one is here to stay!!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRuhlig
Speaking of that - has anyone here ever ordered those plans? Better yet - has anyone ever build a grinder from them?
From those plans? I don't know. There is a web site that hosts pictures of homemade grinders though. I'll have to track that one down again.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Steel Addict

jdm, i ran an estimate on ups with a package weight @ 25lbs. (is that enough or does it weigh more?) it came out to be like $16. anyway im anticipating it being up to $35, and i will be able to give ups the money on friday. if that works with you of course......or whatever the easiest is for you. if you have any other options i would love to hear them, ups is just the first thing i thought of. i want to try to get them to pick it up from you so you dont have to do anything....anyway, thanks again. let me know whenever you get a sec.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Skilled

Well gents, I got absolutely no work done on one of your knives this evening. I had read a thread by Drac (Jim) about a very nice and juicy cut of meat he had grilled up, so I went out after work and got a 5lb standing rib roast(Prime Rib). The only thing Jim didn't tell me was that it took 3 1/2 hours to cook the thing that's okay though it was awesomely good if I do say so myself.

Derek, you sound just like me a couple of weeks ago when I finally decided to sell the 360 and bought my Grizzly. Welcome to a whole new world. Making them is much more frustrating but much more rewarding.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 12-13-2006, 12:52 AM
Skilled

dam a new kith sure is tempting, im not gonna sign up just yet but i will sure be looking in on this. the knife i got in the last newbie kith is awesome, it wasn't the push dagger i hoped it would be but its still pretty cool. i got a christmas kith knife on the way and i have to start a kitchen kith in the new year, dam im a kith-aholic!
good luck to all of you have signed up, and hey, i might even join you.
brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire
Old 12-13-2006, 02:13 AM
Enthusiast

Hi all, I would like to take a stab at this. I've become pretty proficient at putting together kits and doing repair/pimp work on production knives. I'm currently trying to grind a few blades, not much to look at yet.
I've been thinking about the Grizzly 2x72 since I don't have much of a budget. how do they hold up, and how good are they on tracking? Thanks for any input.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:21 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmsy2000
dam a new kith sure is tempting, im not gonna sign up just yet but i will sure be looking in on this. the knife i got in the last newbie kith is awesome, it wasn't the push dagger i hoped it would be but its still pretty cool. i got a christmas kith knife on the way and i have to start a kitchen kith in the new year, dam im a kith-aholic!
good luck to all of you have signed up, and hey, i might even join you.
brett
Brett,

Join in with the rest of us at any time. Deadline is end of April right now.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Havard
Hi all, I would like to take a stab at this. I've become pretty proficient at putting together kits and doing repair/pimp work on production knives. I'm currently trying to grind a few blades, not much to look at yet.
I've been thinking about the Grizzly 2x72 since I don't have much of a budget. how do they hold up, and how good are they on tracking? Thanks for any input.

Welcome, Randy! I'll add you to the list. If you use the search option I'm sure you'll find lots of opinions about the Grizzly and other belt grinders. It's one of the most talked about topics on the forums, I think.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Hall of Famer

Hey guys,

Some of you may already have an idea in your head of a knife pattern you might make for the Newbie KITH. If not, here are some sites that have a wide variety of patterns to fuel your creative side:

The first is a gallery of designs kept by Lloyd Harding: http://hurleyknives.com/lloydgallery.html

This next group are knife designs used by Bob Engnath:

Bowies: http://www.engnath.com/public/bowidraw.htm
Daggers: http://www.engnath.com/public/dagrdraw.htm
Drop points: http://www.engnath.com/public/dropdraw.htm
Historic: http://www.engnath.com/public/histdraw.htm
Hunters: http://www.engnath.com/public/huntdraw.htm
Loveless designs: http://www.engnath.com/public/lovedraw.htm
Tantos: http://www.engnath.com/public/tantdraw.htm
Utility knives: http://www.engnath.com/public/utildraw.htm

And finally, a gallery of knives made by Engnath or from his blades by others: http://www.engnath.com/public/knvframe.htm

Have fun!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:49 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Havard
I just got my grizzly and I love it. Don't use the belt that came with it though it's a piece of junk. I got Klingspor belts from Pop's. That sucker eats the metal. However, I hope you are got at puzzles because the instruction manual sucks air.

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives