MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-15-2006, 05:14 AM
Skilled

Kris Kringle Kith?

What do you guys think, should we have a kith for christmas, or honnika or whatever. if everyone thinks there is enough kith's going on thesedays then we can forget it but i think its a great occasion for one.
I participated in the Newbie kith and it was the best fun i've hadmaking a knife, knowing that someone on the other side of the world willbe owning it.
Im thinking maybe we could somehow organise so that people dont know what thyre getting untill they unwrap it on the 25th of december. either by notr posting photo's(not an idea i like) or by having one person draw the names and then tell everyone who to send to, but not let people know who theirs is comming from.
Open to all makers young and old newbie or old hand, so long as you offer your BEST work with lots of effort put in, of course for those who'se best work retails for more money than i spent on my first car, im sure no one will mind if you tone it down a little.
any knife design welcome be it tacticle fighter, backwoods bowie or if you prefer art dagger, fixed or folder its all up to the maker, although i would sugest that people make knives that are accepted by the law in most places, which makes bali's and flick knives a bit im practicle, but if you do want to make them we will just organise the draw to avoid problems
Although the end is the 25th of december there is nothing stopping anyone of any religion joining, im not christian and im pretty sure santa isnt either and if anyone has any strong objections your welcome to open yours on the 26th.

So what do you think, i say if at least 5 people sign up then we go for it.

Brett

--EDIT to add names and rules--

those who have joined
Holmsy2000
acrid saint
ice tigre
CWP
pete parsons
s vanderkolff
drac
iron monkey
don halter
jens butler
Alan R
nuviking
dwane oliver

The Rules
1. Blade under 3"
2. Single edge only(no daggers)
3. Legal in the majority of places
4. Try to make it holiday themed but not a must

And just to clarify

-Bolsters optional
-Tang style optional

DATES
all entrants must be signed up by november 1st
all entrants must confirm weather they will have a knife ready for the swap by november 15th
names will be drawn on the evening of november 15th
All knives should be shipped on or before the 1st of december

Last edited by Brett Holmes; 11-15-2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: remove some names
Old 07-15-2006, 01:42 PM

Sure sounds fun to me, but I have a suggestion. Most of us will making a number of gift knives for family and friends already, so perhaps we should do a 'stocking stuffer' knife. If we keep the designs simple, we may get better involvement. Perhaps you could say that the knife (with sheath) must be shipped in a checkbook box or some other container we will all have access to. Just a thought.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Skilled

makes sence to me. i figured if we start now it would help wioth the busy season but your right, if we all go simple designs it would help.
What is a check book box though?? is that to limit the size?

Brett
Old 07-15-2006, 10:13 PM

Yea, it's meant to limit size. I can't think of another 'universal' container. Perhaps you could just set a size limit to encourae participation. Either that or come up with some real unique criteria to make it a challenge. Give it a theme!

i.e.:
purse knife
stag handle only
inside the pocket fixed blade
all synthetic handle
made from a file
skeletonized
neck knife
steak knife
blade under 3"
OA length under 7"
etc.
etc.
...or do some combinations. The sky is the limit, but with so many KITHs going, you'll want to make it interesting enough to lure everyone in!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Skilled

I had considered making a theme however i think that scares people off sometimes, i know that the last two kith's i looked at the theme made me decide not to participate. i was thinking that the theme here was that the knife was a suprise on the 25th but maybe we do need more guidelines maybe something like full tang no bolsters, that way its a basic knife that won't take up too much of peoples time in the busy holiday season. what do you think andrew, also please some one else way in to thi argument, i wasn't expecting a flood of people but i was expecting more than this.

Brett
Old 07-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Guru

I'd probably like to join in on a Christmas KITH, don't see any problems with the theme being a stocking stuffer, keep it under 3" blade or something. Other than that, I don't think we should put too many limits on it, just have everyone bear in mind that some stuff might be shipping overseas or some such and it won't necessarily be legal to make a... push knife

I think that the theme should be "it's the thought that counts", meaning I'd rather let the makers choose and "think up" something. I've been wanting to make a couple of pretty small knives but didn't have a good excuse, maybe this would be a good time.

Just hope no one goes too hard on my newbie knives :P

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 07-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Master

Brett,

I like the idea, I was thinking of posting the same question just this last week. I had the idea that the knives could be christmas'/your winter holiday/' themed. color, shape. embelishment, etc... I realy like the surprise bit, in the last kith I did, I didn't see the knife I got until I got it. The suspence is great!

fulltang, no-bolstrers sounds fine. A size limit would be nice, say 8" overall for example. I always feel guilty for sending a 7" knife and someone else possibly sending 12"..... can't realy explain exactly what i mean......

Gary

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Master

Errr, took too long to post that, missed Caps' reply; 3" and under sounds good!

Gary.

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Guru

I would also probably be in. Only holdback right now is getting through the two I am currently in Would be nice to make a small one after cleaning up the one for the SITH last night.

Anyway, I'm 90% in now. 3" max blade sounds like a good point to keep everything as a stocking stuffer. I would think the only other rule you may like to have is single edge. That should be sheeple friendly enough to pass customs in most places.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 AM

Quote:
just have everyone bear in mind that some stuff might be shipping overseas or some such and it won't necessarily be legal to make a... push knife
yea, yea... I deserved that. But, I'm almost done with his new one!

Count me in Brett. I just got my hands on some snow white Holly for a holiday themed handle. Maybe I'll try a red and gold inlay of some sort... who knows.

Sign me up!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 07-18-2006, 01:12 AM
Skilled

now its starting tolook a bit like a kith, i think its the advertising.
when i saw acrid's post i had a bit of a chuckle at mine and your expence andrew. what a screw around that turned out to be hahaha.
as per everyones sugestions, i think the rules so far are,
1. under 3" blade
2. Single edge only
3. have fun with it.

if were setting those rules i dont think full tang no bolsters is necessary, however i know that mine prob will be. all my small ones seem to turn out that way.

so any other thoughts on rules??

who else wants to join the fun?

Brett
Old 07-18-2006, 01:12 AM
Enthusiast

Hi all,

Pete Parsons here from Helena Montana, newbie knifemeker and ready for my first KITH. ...I think .

Count me in.

Pete Parsons
Helena, MT
Parsons14@MT.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rosewood hunter fighter 4.jpg (97.8 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Pete Parsons; 07-18-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:16 AM
Skilled

welcome aboard pete! thats anice lookin kife in your photo there, reminds me of the one i sent out on the last kith
brett
Old 07-18-2006, 01:28 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Brett!

That's a practice photo I tried with a light tent I built using Coop's $75 set up and a knife of mine I have been field testing.

Rosewood handle
1080 blade, acid etched
mild steel guard and thong hole/
brown paracord

I caught the tail end of the last KITH and it really had me laughing. Seems like alot of fun to trade and receive a mystery knife with another maker.

Pete Parsons
Helena, MT
Parsons14@MT.net
Old 07-18-2006, 01:30 AM

Nice lookin' knife there 'Helena-Pete'! Welcome to the fray! I'm a second year noob myself, but let me know if there's anything I (or we) can do to help you through it!

As for bolsters, I hate making them anyway! Besides, for the most part I subscribe to the school-of-thought that endorses the idea that a knife is a simple tool. So, most of my designs have flowing, organic shapes and the bare minimum of parts. "We don't need no stinking bolsters!"

www.kansasknives.org

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives