MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:35 AM
Steel Addict

Updated Multitool debate

OK. Not so long ago, in more than a few forums, I asked some probing questions about the JET Multitool which is a 2" belt sander that ataches directly to a bench grinder. There is no shortage on opinions concerning this device, let me tell you.
After doing a search of TKN, and reading every refference which existed to the Multitool, I have found one key complaint: IT IS TOO FAST.
It seems that the OLD version has a drive wheel which is bigger than the 3" contact wheel which really kicks up the FPS and all but insures that heat build up will be a problem.
HOWEVER, JET has an updated version that noone on TKN has made refference to yet. This new version has an 8" serrated contact wheel which is much larger than the drive wheel that hooks up to the grinder. This, obviously, will reduce the RPM of the contact wheel in comparison to the drive wheel.
FIRST: does anyone have any experience with this newer version? If so... baste me!
SECOND: I have a variable speed grinder. I'm thinking this may further allow me to reduce heat risk.
I have been undecided between this unit ($319) and the the Griz 1015 ($413 delivered) for a few weeks now. Work space is an issue. Money is a huge issue. Belts (2' x 42") are available in all the right grits from Jantz as well as others and they are cheaper to boot. I am interested in making small fixed blades as an alternative to folders. I just need to know if I am missing some key considerations.
So many members have touted the virtues of "variable speed" that this justs seems to be the perfect way to get started having that advantage right from the get-go.
Any thoughts?

Andy

Old 03-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast

If I were you, I'd take a serious look at the Coote grinders. I've got one of the Multis (with the small contact wheel) and I find the tracking to be a bit imprecise and fiddley. I put up with the thing because it only cost me $100 from an ebay auction. The Coote allows you to use whatever variable speed setup you wish and takes up a minimum of space along with being a very high quality piece of equipment. Good luck to you.
-Mark
Old 03-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast

Andy,

The surface feet per minute that the belt moves is a product of the speed and size of the drive wheel. Increasing the size of the contact wheel (in relation to the drive wheel) will decrease the rpm of the contact wheel, but the speed that the belt moves will remain the same as before (as long as the size of the drive wheel is unchanged).

Variable speed is not only for heat issues but allows for more controlled grinding (and IMO the way to go).

A quick check of belt prices shows me that the smaller belt is only marginally cheaper than the 2x72's (which will last longer).
Chris Crawford modified a multitool to take 2x72 belts. You can see it in the shop tour of his site.

I have a Grizzly (heavily modified) that I like, but it was much cheaper when I first purchased it than the $413 they want now. At that price (and as Mark suggests), I would give the Coote
serious consideration

Regards,
Greg
Old 03-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Steel Addict

Greg,

Thanks to you and Mark for the info on Coote. I'll have to add it to the mix on units I'm considering. At first glance, it looks great! I'm trying to visualize how I can extend the shaft on my variable speed grinder to power a Coote. I see many sketches in my imediate future!
Thanks too for the physics lesson. It makes sense now. Math and ratios was never my academic strong suit. Also a good point, is the price verses useful area of the different belts...
Man, am I glad I asked this question. I love this forum.

Gratefully,
Andy

Old 03-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

Probably the best way to do it, Andy, is to put a pulley on the motor, a pulley on the shaft of the Coote and connect the two with a v-belt. Voila, instant power!
-Mark

Tags
knives