MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Exclamation Newbies Forum on Paltalk

I've was thinking about hosting a forum on Paltalk for Newbie knifemakers. For those of you not familiar with Paltalk, it is software that allows you to meet in groups and have verbal discussions just like a conference call on a telephone. All that is required is the free Paltalk software from www.paltalk.com , a computer with a sound system (like nearly everyone has these days) and a $4 microphone.

There is another knifemaker's forum on Paltalk hosted by Steve Pryor which you also may want to visit but they are usually discussing more advanced subjects. Anyone who wants to drop in on my Newbies Forum will be welcome but we'll try to keep the subject matter aimed at Newbie questions.

For now, and until I see what the response is like, I am only planning to do this once. If the response is good it may become a regular thing like Steve's forum.

My schedule is flexible enough that I can do this at almost any time but I realize not everyone has that luxury. Initially, I plan to set up the forum at 2:00 pm Pacific time (that's 5:00 pm Eastern), on Sunday Feb 15, 2004. The forum will be open for 3 hours and if anyone shows up we may hold it open as long as we like. If enough people request a different time we can do it whenever the majority prefers but Sunday the 15th at 2:00 pm Pacific will be the first meeting.

The forum will be created under the Miscellaneous category and will be called:

CKD Newbies Forum

Initially, I plan to make the forum password protected so that miscellaneous strangers not really interested in knife making don't come wandering in. Having a password will limit the forum to 10 members at one time. If there are more participants than that I'll do away with the password and we'll have a free for all.

The password will be:

ckdnewbie

I'd appreciate it if interested persons would post a reply here so we can get an idea of how many might show up. Hope to see you there!

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Living Legend

Ray,

Good idea! Steve's Paltalk room has been a great thing, both for learning and community. For any interested, it is also under the Miscellaneous category and called "A custom Knifemakers Chat Group". We love to help people at all levels of competency when we can, so don't be intimidated to stop by! We open it nightly, for the most part, usually around 5PM.

A couple of notes to those who try to install Paltalk:

make ABSOLUTELY sure you download and install this prog with all antivirus and firewall softeware OFF! this is very important. After installation, return to AV and firewall functionality.

If you desire to hear and speak most effectively, after opening the program, open a little section called setup. There is a tab called "Sound Controls". Make sure boxes 1, 3, 5, & 7 are checked. If you are having problems with audio, we can help you in Steve's room if you identify yourself as a knifemaker when you come in.

One other caveat: the rooms don't show up under the"Groups" listing unless the room is open. Don't despair if you can't find it, just try back. It WILL appear in Miscellaneous when the room's open.

Ray, I might come and hang the first session to help people get set up if that's ok, but I will bail if the room starts to get close to the "magic number". Let me know if that's ok.

Folks, all I'll say is that these rooms, a combination of text and voice, are a great place to share, and overcomes a lot of the frailty often encountered in text-only forums like this. That's not a knock on CKD, this is the "bestest" forum on the net.

Enjoy!

Last edited by fitzo; 02-09-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:03 PM

You'd be more than welcome Mike! I'm not proud, I'll talk to anybody............

Old 02-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Living Legend

Thanks, Ray, I think! hehe

BTW, really enjoyed talking to you the other night; I learned a lot. Thanks!

Last edited by fitzo; 02-09-2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:33 PM

You're very welcome. I felt like I was hogging too much time on Steve's forum though running off at the mouth like that. This way I won't feel so guilty. If anyone shows up, that is.

I figure this might help the raw Newbies get their feet wet. Then, when they gain some confidence they can go hang with the big boys at Steve's place ........

Old 02-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Living Legend

You didn't hog the mic at all. Not like you were reading the "Times" or something to us. Sometimes when there's just 2 or 3 of us in there, it starts to feel like a women's circle, a buncha old grannies sitting around silently crocheting, occasionally making a comment. Your presence was a nice bonus to the day, believe me! Hope you get a chance to stop in more often..

I think it can be a distinct benefit to have a room like that for Newbies, especially with your skillset to help educate them with. You explain things very nicely.

Those who don't take advantage of this opportunity, well, it's their loss, IMHO.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

I will be doing everything I can to be there, usually I can't get the kids in bed until a few hours after that time though.

Looking forward to it and will certainly try to be there.

Thanks, Tom

Old 02-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Skilled

i'd like to try it out

I'd like to try it, but as of right now i'm not sure i will get in to it at the beggining, probably the end of it.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Skilled

Hello Ray,
It was good chatting with you the other night. I would like to stop by if that is allright with you. Could you tell this ol' Texas boy what time that is in the Central time Zone? I think it should be 4:00 p.m.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:39 AM
Steel Addict

Ray,

I would love to join in however because of the time difference I can?t. At least not until I move back to the States. Sunday, 2 PM Pacific time is Monday, 7 AM Japan time and that means I getting ready for work. Hopefully this will take off and I?ll be able to participate then.

Tim
Old 02-10-2004, 08:48 AM

Like I said earlier, this is just a starting point. From the sound of it, it might be helpful to move it back an hour or two in the future. For now, I will just try to hold it open a little longer so that late arrivals can still find us. That should help Tom and Doublearrow.

Anthony, yes, that is 4:00 pm in Texas. The initial plan is to be there from 4:00 to 6:00 pm Central time. We can stay longer if someone wants to.

Tim, sorry you won't be able to make it but the international stuff will be tricky to handle. Let me know if there is some time on your schedule over the week that would match up with some time slot here where at least some people might be available. Maybe we can do a weekday time slot as well as the weekend.

Old 02-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Steel Addict

Ray,

Thanks for the offer but right now it looks like I'll be moving back to the States in April. Hopefully this idea will catch on and you'll still be holding the forums at that time. I also hope that I'll be able to devote more time towards my knife making then as well. The international work has been great but there are some definite drawbacks.

Tim
Old 02-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Steel Addict

If you can stand my meathead questions I am game.
Howard
Old 02-11-2004, 08:54 AM

This forum thrives on meatheaded questions, you'll be more than welcome....

Old 02-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks, I will go buy a mic/camera system.
I just got back from meeting Mike Franklin of Hawg Knives. He is going to work with me on how to work with titanium. And I am going to show him how to work with gemstones. I love to trade!
Howard

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knife making, knives