MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

Warping scares me!

The bowie knife I'm about to make will be from 01 1/4"x3"x18" steel and it will be about 17" overall with a 12" blade .
My pattern is made and my plan right now is to get it cut out and shaped and grind with a flat bevel on the blade and a none cutting bevel on the spine or back for the first 6" and then do a vine design on the rest of the spine after HT is done by Texas knife supply.
How close to finish should i take the knife or should i just cut out the shape i want and do all the finishing after HT is done? I know it will be harder to grind and take longer to finish but if it will help keep it from warping then maybe that's the way i should go.
Thanks for any suggestions or ideas. The steel is on the way now from Tool and Die. Thanks, Mike
Old 11-14-2003, 02:59 PM
Skilled

i get my blades done...

i finish my blades and send them for heat treat to texas knifemakers. they correct the warpage they can was my understanding, but they only heat treat stainless steels not the carbon.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:04 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

On a blade that thick warpage is usually not much of a problem so I would do as much of the grinding as you care to. As long as the edge doesn't get too thin and you leave a little extra on all surfaces in case you need to remove metal to clean up heat treating marks that's abou all you have to worry about. I don't know how TX Knifemakers will do the heat treating, they may not have scale or any other mess to clean up but I always have little marks and some scale to remove.

If you should get some warpage, it's still not a big deal with O1. Put the blade edge down in water, heat the back of the blade, and then straighten with an arbor press or a big vise...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Ray

Thank's Ray. My 0 1 steel came this afternoon and it looks great to me. It say's that it was HT with oil and precision ground. Should i still cool it with water as I'm grinding to shape? Thank's , Mike
Old 11-14-2003, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast

doublearrow, Thanks

Thank's you fore the heads up on Texas Knifemakers. Guess I'll have to find someone else or get a torch and try it myself. Mike
Old 11-14-2003, 07:11 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yes, you should still cool the steel when you grind it. Whether you grind before or after heat treating you can still burn the steel so cool it.

You may have misunderstood what I meant to say about TX Knifemakers heat treating. I have never used their service and said that I don't know if they will have scale or surface marks. It really depends on the process they use. I always have that stuff on my blades but I just grind it off afterwards. Seems to me it would be pretty difficult to avoid surface dings on any blade that was oil quenched (as O1 must be). I know some guys have less mess than I do and I imagine there are some who have more. It's not a big deal, just something to plan for ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Enthusiast

Ray, Misunderstanding

Ray, I know that i still have to keep it cool when I'm grinding and shaping it but on one thread i was told to use water on 0 1 but the packaging slip that the steel is wraped in say's that it was HT with oil. This is just the bar stock i got from Tool and Die. That's why i was wandering if i should still use oil as suggested to cool it as i shape it or if i should still just use water? After i have it shaped as we discuessed i was going to send it out to Texas Knife to have them heat treat it fore me.
My comment about Texas Knife works was a responce to what doublearrow said about them only HT stainless steel. If that's true then i will have to find someone else or buy a torch and do it myself. Thanks again and I'm sorry if I'm confusing anyone here , besides myself that is. I would like to start shaping it tomarrow so i was just trying to clear a few things up so i don't screw up to bad, lol.
Mike
Old 11-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Skilled

The manufacturer is giving you directions for heat treating, Ray is giving you directions on how to keep your blade cool while grinding, BEFORE you ever heat treat.

Try to keep your grinding the same on both sides. make a couple of passes on one side, dip in WATER to cool, and make the same amount of passes on the other.
Much warpage in HT can be avoided by this simple method.

Grinding the complete bevel on one side, before grinding the other, causes uneven stress that will reveal itself at heat treating, in the form of warpage.

The blade would be quenched in 125-140 degree oil as part of the heat treating process, after you grind the blade.
But don't worry about that at the moment. One thing at a time.

Last edited by Mike Hull; 11-15-2003 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:35 AM
Enthusiast

Heat Treating

Hi all,
Of the guys that specialize in Heat Treating H C Steel: My choice is Lee Oates at Bearclawknives.com. Lee does oil hardening,zone, and clay tempering of all steels. If I am not mistaking, he does the
S. S. Heat Treat for Texas Knifemakers Supply Co. also.

Lee lives in La Porte ,Texas ,his telephone number is 281-587-6080 . He is a very easy man to talk to and ask questions of.

Bill W.

Old 11-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Skilled

HERE'S LEE'S LINK
http://www.bearclawknives.com/#HeatTreat

NT screaming gamecock Gann
Old 11-15-2003, 10:30 PM
Enthusiast

New link for Lee Oates

Thanks Clay,for posting the link for Bearclaw Knives heat treating Service.

OT .. I checked out your Website ,and saw the name "Polkadot" is he your GrandPa ?

I'll be Dadgum , I fish the Little Niangua River in Missouri and use his recipe for stink bait. It does the trick,but Man, does it STINK.Whooee ! It catches Catfish , for sure.

Your tribute to him is a great story.
I am reminded of my GrandPa when I read it.

Bill W.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:03 PM
Skilled

great grand pa. don't eat any of it

Old 11-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast

Don't eat the Catfish Bait. ?/:)

It might go over big in France. They eat cheese that is almost as bad.

All I know is the Catfish love it. :evil

Bill W.

Old 11-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Skilled

Bil Gann wrote the story.My dad gave him the recipe.Now my granddad was the one to catch the fish diving for them in the rivers.Glad to share it that's the way Polkadot would want it
now here's something about his dad
http://ckdforums.com/showthread.php?...FAMILY+HISTORY

Old 11-18-2003, 07:43 AM
Enthusiast

How far can i go?

My bowie ( 0 1 steel , 1/4" x 17" x 2.25" at the widest part, flat grind on the bevel) is shaped and polised real well but not to a mirror finish yet. The cutting edge is less then the thickness of a dime , can i take it down to almost sharp?
How far can i take the finish of this knife and the edge before sending it out to be heat treated? Thank you for all your advice in the past on this project. Mike

Tags
blade, knife, knives