MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 10-19-2003, 12:30 PM
Steel Addict

using a fuller tutorial?

Is there a tutorial for the proper way to efficiently draw out a Spike using a fuller? I need a step by step tutorial being a newby forger.

Old 10-19-2003, 01:26 PM

I do not know of any tutorials on using a fuller for drawing out. However, if you want to lengthen a piece of metal, you fuller perpendicular to the direction you want to draw out. For example, if what you are talking about is a railroad spike, and you've already flattened out the blade portion, yet want to make the blade longer, then fuller across one side of the blade, so that the fuller marks look like ladder rungs running across the length of the blade from point to choil. Then flip the blade over and hammer on the flat side, and as you hammer out the fuller marks, you will be stretching out the blade lengthwise.

If you want to increase or stretch out the width of the blade, then fuller parallel to the length of the blade, with the fuller marks running parallel to the back and edge of the blade. Then flip the blade and flatten out the fuller marks from the other side, thus widening the blade dimansions from back to edge.

Not a tutorial by any means, but does that make sense? If not, I will try to clarify. I would try these techniques on some pieces of mild steel first to practice and see how they work. The more you play with it, the more you will see just how the metal moves when fullered and flattened, better abling you to know just where to put your fuller marks.

Old 10-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Dana,

I've never seen it spelled out like that. It does make sense. I just wasn't sure about whether to put the fuller notches opposite each other on both sides, like a double fuller would and which side I should be whacking on after the notches are put in. I was thinking I should be hitting the highs points on the same side. Perhaps it doesn't matter as with double fullering all that's left to hit are high points.

Anyway I appreciate your answer.
I've just finished making a simple double fuller like what was show on Iforge. I'll play with it.

Old 10-19-2003, 04:42 PM

The double fuller tool is very handy. Since you are double fullering, don't fuller too deep, and flatten between fullerings. You can always re-fuller if it doesn't stretch out enough. Too much and then you have to upset to gain more mass.

Tags
blade, knife