MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:18 PM
Guru

fuchi and kashira

hey guys so I am having a problem with making the fuchi and kashira (its a collar in front of the wrap and a but cap I have tried cutting a lil circle or brass and a strip wraping the strip around and brazing it togather however it hard to get perfect and once I get it held togather good I manage to junk it up in the brazing process, any one have any tips or seen other ways of doing it?
Old 12-16-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
hey guys so I am having a problem with making the fuchi and kashira (its a collar in front of the wrap and a but cap I have tried cutting a lil circle or brass and a strip wraping the strip around and brazing it togather however it hard to get perfect and once I get it held togather good I manage to junk it up in the brazing process, any one have any tips or seen other ways of doing it?
Would you mind if I ask how you are brazing this?
Old 12-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Guru

well what I ended up doing is first I was using thin brasss, I changed that to copper pipe that was cut annealed and flattened out then shaped to a circle and anoyther piece of the bottom for the end cap, I tried a few different brazing rods eventually I used 12% silv rods that worked the best but left a lil silver line where the 2 pieces met. I still haven't done the cord wrap on this blade I am going to try and cover some of that thin silver line with the cord wrap
Old 12-17-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
well what I ended up doing is first I was using thin brasss, I changed that to copper pipe that was cut annealed and flattened out then shaped to a circle and anoyther piece of the bottom for the end cap, I tried a few different brazing rods eventually I used 12% silv rods that worked the best but left a lil silver line where the 2 pieces met. I still haven't done the cord wrap on this blade I am going to try and cover some of that thin silver line with the cord wrap
Ok. Reason I ask is because I was a welder for years and do other metal work that involves welding and brazing processes and wanted to see if I could help. I was gonna suggest silver solder. I typically use the Harris 40% without cadmium. But it does leave a line where the fill occurrs which doesn't sound desirable. Thanks for replying! Happy holidays.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Guru

I was doing that knife as a traditional style Japanese tanto and gradually work my way up in size to a full size sword, working on these projects are being done a lil bit here and there between other stuff, I just HTed a larger knife so I may try the solder you suggested but ideally I know someone that has a 3d printer and he prints his design then pours brass over it when it melted and you get a perfect brass piece in what ever your design was. I may am most likely going to have him try and print me and cast it for me, he did this on a full size katana he made wich came out really really good so we will see,
Old 12-17-2016, 11:43 PM

Wow that sounds like investment casting but using the 3D plastic parent instead of a wax parent. Super cool idea! I've done casting in red metals using green sand, but the level of detail isnt as good as investment casting. Now I'm really interested to see this as it progresses, Good luck!
Old 12-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Guru

Its a special media used for the 3d printing (not the usual plastic stuff) he told me it feels more like wax than plastic but its not quite wax easier the key is it melts at lower temp like wax would and when it melts he told me it gets very very thin so it quickly dissapeers I guess if its too think the media cant get out of the way of the metal in time, I haven't seen the process yet only the results wich came out phenomenal but his shop is about 45 mins away so next time I go for a visit I am gong to go check it out, this guy has done some amazing stuff with this prcess,

Tags
blade, brass, casting, cord wrap, design, flat, help., japanese, katana, knife, made, making, metal, plastic, problem, sand, silver, solder, tanto, tips, traditional, wax, welding, wrap