MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Steel Addict

I tempered the blades at roughly 425˚F because of a HT'ing scale like the one at the bottom of this link. It shows that 400˚F get 61-63. This isn't the scale I used but one similar with the numbers in a like range.
http://www.threeplanes.net/toolsteel.html

I remember reading somewhere that the magical 61 hardness is the desired one for knives. so thats what I shot for. Balance between flexibility and durability. An that is the reason I picked the temperature of 425˚F

I do see your point about my mistake in HT'ing all the blades at once. I think I got lucky this time. I'll do my best to keep luck out of it.

I finally got some sandpaper and also the Epoxy. The stuff I could find dries clear yellow. Not my preferred color choice. But that was all I could find. other than tan or grey. I could have sworn I 've seen clear epoxy but not today
Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Those temperatures don't match with my charts and, more importantly, they don't match with my hardness tester results.

As for Rv 61 being magical, the only magic there would be is if the average carbon blade was able to survive for very long at that hardness. O1 would do better than most and I commonly use Rc 60 on O1 but only on knives where I don't expect them to be used for prying or hard chopping.

The bottom line here is that every steel has a maximum hardness as quenched and a working hardness as tempered. The working hardness of a knife blade is the hardness at which it will hold the best edge it can hold while, at the same time, being tough enough that the edge doesn't chip out or crack. Working hardness will vary in a given steel according to the intended use of the knife, i.e., the working hardness of a paper thin and flexible fillet knife of O1 will be much less than a surgeon's scalpel or even a skinner. As a further example, a sushi knife could be made from 1095 at a hardness of 61 but if you tried to make a machete of 1095 at Rc 61 it probably wouldn't last 5 minutes. This is why all knives aren't made from the same steel and why different hardnesses are used even with the same steel. One size definitely does not fit all situations .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Steel Addict

alrighty people here are the finished knives.
The one I was making for myself had a problem during the pinning process so I'll have to post that one up laters. I think the first one should have a bolster but I'm not gonna try to drill it now lol. Let me know what you all think.
And thanks alot for everything.
I have a couple more projects I'll be needing help with in the future. But right now I'm going to relax and reflect on what I have learned

thanks for looking

Chris
Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The blade on that first one looks remarkably like my first (and only) forged blade. Nearly everyone's first blade looks like that, actually, especially if they are self taught. The most important thing is, you did get them finished. Now, you should use them, a lot, and as hard as you can. This will teach you more about how a knife should be made than all of the rest of us put together!

There is a limit to what I can see in the pictures but it looks like you don't have enough bevel in the blade. In other words, from the back to the edge there is still a lot of steel needs to be removed or hammered thinner. It will still work but it would work better if the geometry were improved.

Again, use the heck out of those knives. My guess is, it won't take you more than about an hour to completely revise your idea of how a handle should be shaped .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Steel Addict

Yea there is a lot of metal that should have came off. I meant to do that before HT. And after the extremely slow process of reshaping the second knife after the HT process. I decided to stop there. Plus working with the bevel I was afraid I would over heat the edge.

I would like to ta a moment and thank the following people

Ray
Nathan
Doug
Bill
Jerry
Mike
Frankallen
reefera4m

I hope there wasn't anyone I missed
I know I couldn't have done this with out you all

Chris
Old 02-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

Wow I am impressed. That seemed like it was quite a bit of work and they look great. Very well done. Thanks for sharing throughout the entire process. I enjoyed seeing the pictures.

Tags
blade, brass, forge, forged, forging, hunting, hunting knife, kit, knife, knife making, knives, military, nessmuk