MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Skilled

Ordered my Grizzly grinder today! Have a few?'s

Mornin' y'all! Got my Grizzly yesterday and it sure looks to be what everyone said it should be. I've spent about a year studying and grinding on a Craftsman 4"X48" combo grinder and figured time was right to move up. Don't think this will immediatly make my work better, but should make it easier and faster, which will give me more experiance, then better knives. After reading this thread, I ordered a set of belts from Trugrit, following Shane's order pattern. Thought the 80 grit to start would keep the grinding slower as I learn. Next order I'll get some coarser grit for starting out the grind. The ceramic platen is on the list for ordering too. Sure want to thank everybody on this tread for their comments. It really gave me confidence to get this grinder and have an idea on how to make it work to potential!
Rick
Old 09-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

I got my first blade profiled and started the grinds but I am having problems with it tracking. When I'm not grinding on it is tracks fine but if I try to grind in a corner the belt just pushes away and won't grind the corner. Also when I move the blade across the platten it will track off. I've got the tension as tight as it will go. Do I need to pull the platten out farther?
Old 09-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exude
I got my first blade profiled and started the grinds but I am having problems with it tracking. When I'm not grinding on it is tracks fine but if I try to grind in a corner the belt just pushes away and won't grind the corner. Also when I move the blade across the platten it will track off. I've got the tension as tight as it will go. Do I need to pull the platten out farther?

hmmm, you may need to pull the platen out a little, but it really shouldn't be tracking like you mentioned. It really sounds like you don't have the tension set high enough. If I remember correctly when I had my Griz I had to raise the bar that holds the upper idler wheel some more to get good tension...and if I remember correctly I could only get one screw back in when I did so...but it's been a few years since I've owned a Griz, so I should probably defer to some of the guys who currently own one...

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 09-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast

I have it so the top screw is all the way to the top but if I took that out I could probably raise it some more. Can I get by with just one screw?? It sure seems to me like there isn't enough tension there. Walks right off track real easy.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Master

That's the way I always ran mine when I had a Grizzly, just be sure to tighten that one screw tight, worst that can happen is it moves down due to vibration and you have to readjust it. I'd say give that a shot to see if it helps, unless someone else who has one now chimes in with a better suggestion....remember, I'm going by memory, it's been a few years now that I'm had my KMGs...

-Darren

Old 09-10-2004, 12:59 AM
Master

OK, my memory isn't so bad after all! Exude, go to my web page and click on the link to my Shop Information. The first picture at the top on the left shows my old Griz with the one screw holding the upright assembly in place....you can just make out the single black knob in the picture.

I love my KMGs (both of them) and my horizontal grinder, but I wish I hadn't sold my Grizzly, it was a great grinder to get started with and even now it'd make a great grinder to have in the hot shop area. So, even when you upgrade one day, and you likely will if you keep doing this for a long time as the KMG with a variable speed VFD drive is definitely the cats meow, be sure to keep your Grizzly grinder, as it will serve you well in other areas of your shop for years to come!

-Darren

Old 09-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice Darren. My Grizz has a lock collar on the shaft going up so it wouldn't ever come down just maybe come a little loose with slop back and forth if that one screw loosened up. Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Darren, I was looking at your pictures there and your flat platten is out way farther than I have mine. The Grizzly directions said to have the flat platten so it just hit the belt so I set mine up so that it is just barely hitting, 1/4 inch at most into the belt. Is the way you have it set up there the right way? If so I bet that is my problem.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Exude:
Without seeing how you have it set, I dont want to tell you "do this", but on my machine, I have the platten pushing into the back of the belt to some degree, much more than "Just behind the belt" Mine actually pushes against the belt to add some extra tention.

One thing I have found, if you push hard while using the edge of the belt, it will shift. Lighten your touch and use sharp belts to make your initial plunge cuts.

Another thing that I did the may or may not be a good idea to do is to even the top of my platten and remove any burs, I put a new 100 grit belt on backwards. with the grit running across the platten, just ran a sec,(30) then take off and check everything out. REMEMBER, I am not sure this is a good thing to do, just seemed lke a good way for me!!

A graphite platen cover, is better than none, a cermaic liner is the cats whiskers!

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes for you!

God Bless
Mike

Old 09-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
lost Girzzly grinder

Well, i got the motor last week, but Grizzly forgot to send the belt grinder..So, this week it arrived.......Now to put it together........I have some O1 ready to grind......all i need is to sell a few knives to pay it off...............Have to finish bush hogging 35 acres first.........carl

Old 09-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exude
Hey Darren, I was looking at your pictures there and your flat platten is out way farther than I have mine. The Grizzly directions said to have the flat platten so it just hit the belt so I set mine up so that it is just barely hitting, 1/4 inch at most into the belt. Is the way you have it set up there the right way? If so I bet that is my problem.

Yep, that pic shows how I had mine set up. Were there directions that came with it? We don't need no stinking directions!

Did you get your to work correctly yet?

-Darren

Old 09-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by combs6136
Well, i got the motor last week, but Grizzly forgot to send the belt grinder..So, this week it arrived.......Now to put it together........I have some O1 ready to grind......all i need is to sell a few knives to pay it off...............Have to finish bush hogging 35 acres first.........carl

Dang Carl, you've been through quite an ordeal getting yours in! Those 35 acres will still be there, you know you'd rather be grinding some knives!

-Darren

Old 09-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Enthusiast

Well I got my belts from Tru Grit today and they are a world of difference. The belt that came with the grizz is a LOT longer than the ones I have now. That may have been a problem but I had more tension on it than I do with the new ones but these are a lot heavier backed and seem to be working like they should. Pretty much have the blade ground now. Heat treat is next.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives