MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Steel Addict

TNS Gambler, #3 of 3 in set

This is the third in the set of three knives. It is my tenth kit.

The handle got the hardcore re-profile treatment. I always have at least one moment in every knife where I am certain that it is going in the trashcan.....that belt grinder just hit a soft spot?

I chose the cinnamon colored spacer material from Jantz Supply which was a very nice match. The scales are the Synthetic Ivory (catalog ANT01) from Texas Knifemakers Supply. I found it to be a bit softer than the acrylics and definitely less odiferous. It actually gives off a light flowery odor when sanded. It chips easily.

I have always admired a nice bevel. I decided to stop after I had flat sanded the outside of the handle and then added the profile bevels. I had put in a lot of effort into matching the line from the hard bolster into the soft scale and didnt want my efforts to go unnoticed. It helps to go lightly and always have a flat sander spanning the joint.

Okay, please ignore the buffing compound on the inside of the liner there. It is gone now. Look closely: I have been following the tutorials and relieving the inside on the liners where the blade rotates in order to avoid those unsightly scratches on the tang. I have a round head carbide dremel cutter which works very well for this.

The blade is approximately 3/32 thick. I created 3/32" tick marks along the spine and used a 1/8" chainsaw file at about 45 up and 45 diagonal to create a wave pattern. The waves run in opposing directions, about 1/3 of the way across with 1/3 left solid in middle. I think this would have become a ropelike pattern if I had rolled it across the top.

On edit: I had to add this one to show off the bolster/bevels.

All in all, I have had a lot of fun with these Gambler (aka Lynx) kits and would definitely recommend them to intermediate builders. They have tons of modification potential.

See all 17 pics at:

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...40/gambler_03/

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by mike6640; 04-03-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Steel Addict

That is one sweet looking knife. I really like your choice of materials, it is one smooth looking knife. All the time you spent beveling and filing was well worth it. Thanks for sharing.

WOW!

Charlie

Tags
blade, knife, knives